1 2
NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/26/16 9:46 a.m.
Javelin wrote: The engine bay, door jambs, and trunk are all painted and the body is totally ready for paint. The interior is completely in and done. Dad will build me a motor with all of my speed parts (headers, Comp cam with valvetrain, Edelbrock Performer, MSD billet distributor, etc). He has a few 360's and a 390, so we'll see what size it ends up being. He also has the Borg Warner automatic for it. It has a 3.15 limited slip in it already. We will have it painted before putting the motor in.

I'd suggest going with the 390, if possible. As I recall, the 390 had forged rods and crank and heavier main bearing webbing, the 360 had cast guts. Plus the 390 is more correct for the car, as the 360 didn't come out until the next year. And more displacement is always a good thing

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/16 9:51 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

The AMX is a 2-seater like a Corvette and is super light (for a 69). They only made 19,000 AMX's from 68-70, so it's a pretty rare car. They made 25,000 Javelin's in 73 alone and over 7,300 of them were 360's like mine.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/26/16 10:07 a.m.

So: That "AMX" emblem may be tough to source. Dad ran for years without one. I see you're missing a front bumper. Someone does make a fiberglass replica that's probably a great upgrade as long as you don't want the Chrome there. I also see you have that fantastic weirdo hood with the fake slats in it. You may want to consider opening those up somehow.

I think they look better without the trim on the rocker panel, you may want to try it without to see if you like the look.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/26/16 10:10 a.m.

You can now use Chrome vinyl wrap on fiberglass bumpers. Looms really good on the two I've seen.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/26/16 10:24 a.m.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6881amxjavelin.htm

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/26/16 10:24 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: You can now use Chrome vinyl wrap on fiberglass bumpers. Looms really good on the two I've seen.

Do you have any pictures of that? It sounds neat.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/26/16 10:27 a.m.

Wow!!!

Javelin
1/26/16 11:10 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: So: That "AMX" emblem may be tough to source. Dad ran for years without one. I see you're missing a front bumper. Someone does make a fiberglass replica that's probably a great upgrade as long as you don't want the Chrome there. I also see you have that fantastic weirdo hood with the fake slats in it. You may want to consider opening those up somehow. I think they look better without the trim on the rocker panel, you may want to try it without to see if you like the look.

My Grandfather reproduces literally every single piece of trim for AMX's and Javelins, including emblems. How do you think I got all new ones for my Javelin? The bumpers are in the garage, it's a complete car. That hood is worth about $3500 on it's own, no lie. Nearly everybody chopped them up for hood scoops back in the day and their are no repop metal ones. My Dad runs without rocker trim on his, and I do like the look. I'm going to keep them though, I want this one to look stock on the outside. The Cragars aren't even staying on it, it's getting correct chrome Magnum 500's.

Javelin
1/26/16 11:11 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/2/16 9:28 p.m.

I dug this up for you. Dad's old AMX circa 1993 or so. I was eleven. It eventually ran in the 9.70s. I know you'll hate on the hoodscoop, but it was neat looking to me!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/16 6:34 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: You can now use Chrome vinyl wrap on fiberglass bumpers. Looms really good on the two I've seen.

Interesting idea. Definitely a heck of a lot cheaper than real chrome, but obviously won't be as durable on a car that sees a lot of miles. plus: colors!

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/flexible-chrome-wrap-vinyl/

The AMX sounds great! I agree you've made the right decision. Of course, I'd want to drop an LS/T56 into that empty bay, but I can understand if you are more inclined to keep it original.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LlHF1sK56f4PshzONmcKHule0soxhl3TqqHM3vmmZro24jo5HuTvpVHQSXtvYNFY