1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/8/14 12:45 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah it looks nice, but this is even less of a "Mustang" than his old car was a "Fiesta."

So what?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/8/14 3:33 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: Am i the only one who could do without those wheels?

Those wheels aren't my favorite, but otherwise looks fun enough.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
10/8/14 9:06 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
LopRacer wrote: I like the guy, he is doing what he wants because he can and because OTHERS can afford it. I wish I could afford to really chase my passion.
FTFY - Block doesn't use his money to do this stuff. He is a marketing machine. I think that is what causes so many people to "hate" him.

You make a good point, now he is playing with other peoples money, but I guess what I am getting at is he had the money and/or the time to chase the dream in the first place. Now he is a brand and a very lucrative one at that.

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
10/9/14 2:53 a.m.

am i the only one who thinks that thing is ugly?

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/9/14 4:09 a.m.

I don't get too upset over the commercial side of it, given that his primary sponsor is a company he co-founded (DC Shoes).

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/9/14 7:11 a.m.
LopRacer wrote:
NGTD wrote:
LopRacer wrote: I like the guy, he is doing what he wants because he can and because OTHERS can afford it. I wish I could afford to really chase my passion.
FTFY - Block doesn't use his money to do this stuff. He is a marketing machine. I think that is what causes so many people to "hate" him.
You make a good point, now he is playing with other peoples money, but I guess what I am getting at is he had the money and/or the time to chase the dream in the first place. Now he is a brand and a very lucrative one at that.

Yup.

I think most of the hate is due to the fact that he gets to do what HE wants.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/9/14 7:39 a.m.

I don't care if it's ugly. I see it as awesome. It reminds me of modified race cars from the 70's and early 80's where they just hacked and hacked to make things fit. It has a sort of ghetto utilitarian vibe going on where it's beauty comes from its function not it's form.

I'm not wild on the wheels, but to me they fit the whole function over form look. It looks like they were put on there because that's what they had lying around, even though that's obviously not the case.

I'll throw in another +1 to cancel out any other -1's, hell, I'll throw in ten +1's just for the berk of it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/14 9:20 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah it looks nice, but this is even less of a "Mustang" than his old car was a "Fiesta."
So what?

So, therefore it seems odd to approve of him more because you like Mustangs and he clipped a Mustang-lookalike shell over his latest custom-built AWD monster.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/9/14 9:23 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH

I'm not sure why you would think I shouldn't like it, because it's not ALL Mustang? Neither is my Mustang. That makes no sense to me, but whatever.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/9/14 9:28 a.m.

When the GRC series came here to Daytona, Mr. Block hung out for hours after the event signing autographs---well after everyone else had packed up and left.

His car may not really be a Mustang, and his hat makes him look like a brotato---- but the guy is alright in my book.

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
10/9/14 8:52 p.m.

it just doesn't look like function over form. it just looks like a bunch of stuff was thrown together, with a classic mustang shell on top.

Storz
Storz Dork
10/9/14 9:01 p.m.

Appears to have a V8 under the hood, its clearly not a modified rally car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/9/14 9:17 p.m.

I want to see it slide around but I'm really interested in the drivetrain. Any details other than awd and V8?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/14 10:35 p.m.

I like it because it does have a Mad-Max/rat-rod look to it. In a time of no end to sleek-and-slippery modern cars this one is like bringing Sylvester Stallone in Rambo I garb to a black-tie party.

As for Block, given that he is his own top sponsor, it's one step beyond living the dream. It's creating and living the dream. Not liking him for his showmanship is like not liking a receiver for dancing in the end-zone.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/10/14 12:37 a.m.
nboyles85737 wrote: am i the only one who thinks that thing is ugly?

I think it's ugly, and the wheels are hideous. But if it goes like stink the ugly gets a pass.

At least it's not a potato on wheels like the Fiesta.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
10/10/14 5:36 a.m.

Neat looking car. We'd all love to do what he does. That said, his videos seem pointless to me after the first, second, eighth? He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and a lot of people seem to really enjoy his antics. Carry on Ken, carry on.

EDIT: I will never forget watching this on Stunt Junkies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi0MZJZ-w0

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/10/14 8:26 a.m.

Wicked. I like it. A lot.

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
10/11/14 2:21 a.m.

im not saying mad max is pretty, rat rods are cool, but id rather see a couple of potatoes being shot around....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s72ps7vAFQqbRFfyZvDMBGuSlod5ddnzzZDNll20uU2oKEJUTKlS2Tfcl57iB0RK