edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
1/13/15 2:33 p.m.

We're planning on moving from Canada to Florida in a few months time. I received an '88 Mustang 5.0 as part of the deal when we bought our house here in Canada - the previous owner parked it outside for years, and it's definitely a basket case that's not worth restoring. I got it turning over a few months ago, and I'm keen to keep tinkering with it to get it running, after which I plan to strip it and keep the drive-train for use in a project.

Will I be able to import it as a parts car? Or will I have to go through the whole process of obtaining a compliance letter for Canadian or US safety standards? It's quite plainly never going to be driven again. Anyone have any advice on this?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/13/15 2:38 p.m.

I have no importing advice but... What about stripping off the driveline and just moving the parts with the rest of your stuff?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/15 2:41 p.m.

not having a title when bringing it over would be our only issue. with proof of ownership you'd have no concern as you wouldn't be registering it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/13/15 2:45 p.m.

Its over 25 years old. It is exempt from the safety standards importation stuff. You will need some proof of ownership and have to likely pay a tax of some sort though.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
1/13/15 5:25 p.m.

I have the ownership, so no concerns there. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space to remove the drivetrain before we go. So hopefully I can just get it loaded in a container with the rest of our stuff, and it should arrive in Florida.

Cool, thanks for the advice, that's made things a bit clearer for me.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/15 5:30 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Its over 25 years old. It is exempt from the safety standards importation stuff. You will need some proof of ownership and have to likely pay a tax of some sort though.

If it's part of the household goods and edwardh80 owned it for longer than a year, it shouldn't be a problem or require the payment of taxes if we're talking any sort immigrant or non-immigrant visa.

However, your customs agent most likely will want to see title and/or registration as proof of the age of the vehicle. Importing it with no title or equivalent proof of ownership isn't going to be easy.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/13/15 5:44 p.m.

What if he were to take a sawzall to the back half of the car? Importation allows for parts, right? Without needing to worry about registration or roadworthy certs? Ie shells without drivetrain or front cuts from Japan.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
1/20/15 2:30 p.m.

Further questions, if I may:

1) The moving quote guy suggested I contact a vehicle moving company directly, to save myself the 10% that they'd charge me. Anyone have any suggestions on good vehicle moving companies? The car will not move under its own power.

2) Is it even worth keeping? Would the average GRM member keep it, or just sell it and find something else in FL once we've moved? To that end, if anyone needs an '88 Mustang drivetrain, drop me a PM.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/15 2:34 p.m.

I'd sell it and start over. When you are trying to do a life changing move it's best to ditch the headaches and projects. Unless there's some type of emotional attachment to the car.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/15 2:47 p.m.

yeah, you should be able to buy one for well under 1k in similar condition in Florida. Say you get 200 from a scrapper (worst case), that's 800 bucks.

I'm guessing the shipping alone from Canada to Florida is more than that.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/20/15 3:21 p.m.
edwardh80 wrote: We're planning on moving from Canada to Florida in a few months time. I received an '88 Mustang 5.0 as part of the deal when we bought our house here in Canada -

This might be the most Canadian thing I have ever heard, today.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/21/15 4:42 a.m.

pics?

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
1/21/15 1:46 p.m.

I think you should just cut your losses and sell it for whatever you can get for it now or scrap it too. You might pay more to get it there then the realistic value of the parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qem51VDtLvfDTyxs7UP9GF4V2buTdTZIyCHV0tybLDFimpemDVxT4wR47JzwCabL