David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/11/23 10:53 a.m.

Many of us spend all day looking at a screen–work, school, news, weather, games, sharing quick updates with friends and family.

My personal little break? Paper. Just me and something printed the old-fashioned way.

No autoplaying movies, no flashing bnnners, no ads clearly aimed at someone else.

Nothing tracking my movement, either. Anonymous, you could say.

Quiet. Relaxing. A few …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/11/23 10:57 a.m.

I always forget how relaxing reading the written word can be.

I'm usually reminded when the power goes out and I have no choice but to read print.

David S. Wallens
10/11/23 11:05 a.m.

Yeah, I find reading paper way relaxing. A few years back, I found the hot setup for me: no glasses, no contacts, good light. With that, I can read for hours. 

David S. Wallens
10/11/23 11:22 a.m.

And because we do live in a digital age, some related links:

bleh.lousy.expo.huh

orlandozinemeetup

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/11/23 11:36 a.m.

I prefer print media

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/11/23 12:49 p.m.

Perusing a forum is one thing.  Checking a few news stories, etc.  Sure, I'm looking at a monitor.  Phones?  pfffft!  A phone is for a conversation, or an occasional text.

If I'm reading, I'm reading printed media.  And I spend some time reading every night.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
10/11/23 4:33 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Perusing a forum is one thing.  Checking a few news stories, etc.  Sure, I'm looking at a monitor.  Phones?  pfffft!  A phone is for a conversation, or an occasional text.

If I'm reading, I'm reading printed media.  And I spend some time reading every night.

Well said!  Dang the digital I say!  I prefer printed media above and beyond all...OK yes, I do read the digital GRM articles pushed my way, but I love a good printed car magazine with well done photos.  The gloss of the pages, the smell of the ink.  Ah, just a cup of coffee, reading material, and a comfortable chair...

David S. Wallens
10/11/23 4:57 p.m.

In reply to DavyZ :

Yep, there is something about the presentation of it all–the words, the photos, the text and how the whole thing comes together. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/11/23 5:38 p.m.

I love reading and greatly prefer printed media, but I have discovered the local library's wide selection of e-books - being able sign out books with a couple finger swipes sure is convenient.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/23 6:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to DavyZ :

Yep, there is something about the presentation of it all–the words, the photos, the text and how the whole thing comes together. 

You picked the correct career!

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/11/23 7:19 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

That's me. I'm not fit to live with without a book to read at night.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/11/23 7:22 p.m.

Somebody once said: You'll never get an idea of what someone is like by glancing at their hard drive but you will by looking at their book shelves.

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante Reader
10/11/23 11:24 p.m.

A good book on the topic of zines.  Not solely about zines (but a lot of it is) there's also music and other things.

justmark
justmark GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/23 7:58 a.m.

I actually subscribe to a few print magazines for the sole purpose of being able to take them out in the yard and read them by the pool. I find it relaxes me after being in front of a screen for so long and I can focus on reading articles that can take up to 20 minutes to read. It is a form of digital detox and I certainly highly recommend it!

David S. Wallens
10/12/23 9:39 a.m.

In reply to ConiglioRampante :

Thanks for the tip, and I’ll have to check it out. Yes, lo-fi is in. :) 

David S. Wallens
10/12/23 10:12 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to DavyZ :

You picked the correct career!

Thanks and I get to work with a great team. 

PlutoE210
PlutoE210 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/23 10:31 p.m.

I sure do love my paper formality, especially for magazines. I love the texture, the smell, zipping thru the pages to find a cool car while also admiring the cover. There's a lot to love about it and I hope its here to stay :) 

Zink11
Zink11 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/13/23 9:12 a.m.

I enjoy a good book but eBooks are just so convenient especially for travel, but magazines must be print. Maybe it’s the number of photos or the size of a magazine that doesn’t lend itself well to a reader or computer, but a book is a story divided into a number of chapters, the magazine is comprised of a number of stories.  Some stories, as in GRM, are as little as a quarter of page.  Being able to thumb through the magazine, even when reading it cover to cover is so much part of the experience.   I have 3 magazine subscriptions that have gone digital.   I don’t read them.   

David S. Wallens
10/18/23 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Zink11 :

Thanks for noticing and, yes, there is a method to the madness. The goal is create something enjoyable to read from cover to cover yet also welcome you should you join somewhere in between. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g5KTF4PCUG2ugTctgk3CVxT13ozmWDHDqtjkUtZiVAwGNPR0KzFzZmy4Jfr7S3JN