1 2 3
ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/10 7:41 p.m.

1979 AMC Spirit -- owner is in Ontario, and looking for automotive events to attend:

and

Here's the thread

The owner needs to join the GRM community.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/10 7:46 p.m.

Damn! So those weren't AWD/4WD, right?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/10 7:54 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Damn! So those weren't AWD/4WD, right?

You could get that body style in AWD or 4WD -- whatever it was that AMC used. Hot looking, isn't it?

WilberM3
WilberM3 New Reader
3/25/10 8:01 p.m.

i want to put my 4.7L stroker in a spirit or eagle coupe like that with megasquirt

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
3/25/10 8:34 p.m.

Oh E36 M3 do want.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
3/25/10 8:36 p.m.
ZOO wrote:
petegossett wrote: Damn! So those weren't AWD/4WD, right?
You could get that body style in AWD or 4WD -- whatever it was that AMC used. Hot looking, isn't it?

First years of the Eagle had a single speed viscous clutch New Process transfer case. They made it part time later on.

I dunno how low you could get one, but it would be a cool piece done up in AMX style. Thjere would be a bit of fab work to fit a proper engine, cause they only ever had the AMC six, and the front diff kinda hung off the engine. Nothing a bit of backyard engineering couldn't fix.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
3/25/10 11:08 p.m.

The wheels and paint remind me of this old fairmont futura, both awesome in their own right.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
3/25/10 11:19 p.m.

this yellow car w/ black wheels theme is blowing my mind at how freakin cool it looks.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/10 11:35 p.m.

OMFG, what happened? I think I may have blacked out for a few hours. I better see what was at the top of this page again...

THUD

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/25/10 11:52 p.m.

I usually hate yellow cars, but both of the ones in this thread are getting me all sorts of excited.

i want to put my 4.7L stroker in a spirit or eagle coupe like that with megasquirt

That's what she said!

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
3/26/10 12:09 a.m.

NOICE, my first car was an '80 Spirit. Ah, nostalgia, it was a fun car to drive. Yes you could get that body style as 4WD. The AMC Eagle was basically a lengthened CJ-7 with a Spirit body on it. I know not entirely accurate, but not far off.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/26/10 12:59 a.m.

Props to zoomiata for joining that board and inviting that guy over here. It's certainly where he belongs. That thing is all kinds of weird & all kinds of hot at the same time. I'd rock it..(again, where's the "thumbs up" icon?)

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
3/26/10 1:55 a.m.

Oh...do SO want!

lewbud
lewbud Reader
3/26/10 2:30 a.m.

Suhweeeet!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
3/26/10 4:13 a.m.

I like it. Very nice.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
3/26/10 6:21 a.m.

In reply to ZOO:

The best proof yet that any car can be cool if the right things are done to it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/26/10 6:36 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: any car can be cool if the right things are done to it.

no truer words ever have been writ...

except the mercury topaz, there is no hope for that car

RossD
RossD Dork
3/26/10 7:12 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
no truer words ever have been writ... except the mercury topaz, there is no hope for that car

If someone swapped in a fox body mustang underneath and had a 4 door Topaz/mustang you'd probably think it was cool. I would.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 7:22 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
no truer words ever have been writ... except the mercury topaz, there is no hope for that car

Actually, I saw a Tempo/Topaz last week with a cool/interesting factory-looking graphics package on the side...think AAR-Cuda looking, and you'd be close.

Yeah, it was still a stock Tempaz, but at least it looked the part....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 7:30 a.m.

I had a white 1993 Topaz with 16" Centerline billet wheels a hunkered down suspension and some good tires (plus an assload of stereo equipment) that was pretty competent. It was named "MAXIPAZ"

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 8:04 a.m.

I've always liked the AMC Spirit. If you could combine a 304 with a four speed you couldn't get much cooler than that... Any one know if that was a factory option?

I see them sometimes at the Mopar Nats, but not very often.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 8:30 a.m.

304/4-Speed was an option

Raze
Raze HalfDork
3/26/10 8:32 a.m.

I can't believe I'm about to say this

I find that AMC beautiful...

I can't believe I just said that...

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/10 8:33 a.m.

When I was young (pre-teen and teen) I had a real prejudice against AMC products. I don't know why. But the more I read about that company, the more I wish it had survived -- perhaps they were too forward thinking for the times.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
3/26/10 8:36 a.m.

Spirits were no strangers on the track. For example, here's one in the Karrousel at the 'Ring:

Here's a link to more photos and specs:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://academics.concord.edu/chrisz/hobby/80-AMXitems/Information/BFG-raceAMX.jpg&imgrefurl=http://academics.concord.edu/chrisz/hobby/80-AMX-2info.html&usg=__7dc8YwreLsy8xtNGdu2DkJ6mLHM=&h=280&w=500&sz=42&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=fqYDcki0ErQm1M:&tbnh=73&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlynn%2Bst%2Bjames%2Bamc%2Bspirit%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LqdsOjiHoYxKYdCpRCfmmfrMFbFDp1nLqzcOrRh9be3qIFuQU2dit0IVghi2rQQG