1 2 3
1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/29/12 8:23 a.m.

So I do electrical, refrigeration, and HVAC woirk for a trade, and have done favors for friends who own body shops and do paint work.

I have a silver 2002 Miata that is in decent shape, but it has hit a few cones and had a few on road incidents. I'm thinking of repainting the whole car, as it is silver, and th silver really doesn't blend very well when it is touched up.

It actually blends fairly nicely, but I can see and tell where it's been touched up...

Anyways...

Anyone see any interesting color changes on NA or NB Miatas they have liked? This thing will be a weekend toy, HPDE, and autocross whore, and I'm not terribly worried about resale. Although the car is in decent shape, methinks at some point a tire wall will be the next "owner" of this car....

Ideas anyone?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/29/12 8:25 a.m.

keith's martini livery looks cool. you could do a gulf livery

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/29/12 8:29 a.m.

paint the nose black. put a red circle on the door. add some fake rivets with a small paintbrush. get vanity plates that say ZERO.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/29/12 8:40 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: paint the nose black. put a red circle on the door. add some fake rivets with a small paintbrush. get vanity plates that say ZERO.

I wanted to do an Evo like that. Being, you know, a Mitsubishi and all.

If I ever redo my Miata I am going to paint it a MINI robin's-egg blue color that I have seen once or twice in the wild. It's gorgeous, and I think it would look awesome with black rivet flares and bronze or gunmetal wheels.

It may be an update of an older Mini Cooper color called Bermuda Blue.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/29/12 8:55 a.m.

Wasn't it GRM who wrapped one with a fighter shark nose for some event?

1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/29/12 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

IIRC yes it was....love the idea of a black nose and such.

Keep the ideas coming, guys!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/29/12 9:24 a.m.

It was Tom Heath's miata that they wrapped.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/29/12 9:26 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: paint the nose black. put a red circle on the door. add some fake rivets with a small paintbrush. get vanity plates that say ZERO.

Don't steal my Challenge livery!!!!!

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/29/12 6:03 p.m.

BMW aztec blue would look stellar on a Miata. Or Nissan Sapphire Blue Metallic (a 2002-3 Maxima color)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/12 6:17 p.m.

how about that plaid they painted some miatas in the UK?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/12 7:12 p.m.

Personally, I think silver is one of the better colors for the NB Miata. The NA Miata seems to look good in any color, but the NB seems a little color-dependent.

If you want something totally different, what about Cargo Khaki? It's a Honda Element color. Canteen, a green used on the Nissan Xtera, is also pretty cool.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/29/12 8:33 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I'll check both out...thanks!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/29/12 8:43 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: keith's martini livery looks cool. you could do a gulf livery

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
7/30/12 6:49 a.m.

One word - Knobbly!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Lister_Knobbly_on_Wheatcroft_Straight.jpg

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/12 7:17 a.m.

LeMans MX5. Done in 1991 to celebrate Mazda's victory at Lemans

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/30/12 7:45 a.m.

Any color other than red would qualify as an interesting color change for a miata

I have a theory that all miatas, particuarly NA's, were all red from the factory, then painted another color at the dealers haha. The same goes for s13 hatches too.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/30/12 8:24 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: LeMans MX5. Done in 1991 to celebrate Mazda's victory at Lemans

i like that one

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/30/12 8:33 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:

Ouch, that execution of the Martini livery leaves a lot to be desired.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/30/12 8:56 a.m.

But not this one.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/30/12 9:02 a.m.

I'm kind of partial to metallic blue, like the Shelby color.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 9:05 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: I'm kind of partial to metallic blue, like the Shelby color.

That whole car is HOT.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 9:06 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
mad_machine wrote: LeMans MX5. Done in 1991 to celebrate Mazda's victory at Lemans
i like that one

I LOVE that livery... if i were ballsier and had the skills, my MX6 would be wearing that E36 M3 PROUDLY.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/30/12 9:09 a.m.

I like 'em in this color, whatever it's called. Can't find a better photo online. This one belonged to a friend of mine.

Edit: Looks like it's Crystal Blue Metallic.

But please, don't do Gulf livery. Ugh. It's sooooo played out, and it really only looks good on GT40s and maybe a few other cars.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/12 9:58 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Ouch, that execution of the Martini livery leaves a lot to be desired.

It's so badly done it looks like Gulf!

The NA looks best in solid, bright colors. Metallics don't flatter the body shape. The NB wears metallics better. BTW, there's a slightly greener version of Crystal Blue called Splash Green if you want to go that way.

I like to look to the Elise color palette for options, as they're similarly sized and similarly curvy. A friend of mine went for vintage Porsche and picked this hue from a 1958 356 called Aquamarine Blue - the name was used for a couple of different colors around that time but it's color code 707. It's also really hard to photograph as it shifts in the light. Someday I'll do a build thread on this car.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/12 10:20 a.m.

I disagree, Keith. I still think Laguna blue is the best NA color.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P0ibg3WJTiG1n3caC9VeeomamBE1HrSibrTy3wqmljCSxWhQ4sv5fixuspzJ9pRq