1 2 3
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/12 10:41 a.m.

I'm sorry, but you are simply incorrect. The best factory NA color is Mariner Blue, followed by Classic Red. Mazda got it right way back in 1989.

peter
peter HalfDork
7/30/12 10:52 a.m.
Keith wrote: I'm sorry, but you are simply incorrect. The best factory NA color is Mariner Blue, followed by Classic Red. Mazda got it right way back in 1989.

OK, the hairdresser jokes I can tolerate, but the Smurf ones are just too much. I'd have to go with Classic Red first, though the True Red NC I drove at Skippy School was very beautifully red. Black was my second choice when I bought my NA. The premium on nice red NAs was too much.

Keith
7/30/12 11:05 a.m.

Nobody ever jokes about my cars for some reason. I'll see if I can find a good picture of my blue one.

Here's a color-changed NB. It's Lotus "Laser Blue". Like all the Lotus colors, it's very light sensitive.

Also a Lotus color. Azure Blue, if memory serves. I actually wanted a different one, I misidentified the color. I think I'd been looking for Magentic. This one looks good in person, doesn't pop in pictures. The more aggressive body likes the metallic paint.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/30/12 11:42 a.m.

Classic Red:

or BRG:

/thread

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/12 11:52 a.m.
Keith wrote: I'm sorry, but you are simply incorrect. The best factory NA color is Mariner Blue, followed by Classic Red. Mazda got it right way back in 1989.

I guess it is true! Even Keith can be wrong sometimes! I would take Laguna over Mariner everyday, and twice on Sunday.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/30/12 12:00 p.m.
HunterJP wrote:
I guess it is true! Even Keith can be wrong sometimes! I would take Laguna over Mariner everyday, and twice on Sunday.

I don't believe that's a factory color. Unless i miss my guess, that's an earlier iteration of "Dan's Creations" car.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/12 12:29 p.m.

You missed. That is my car. 1994 Laguna Blue Miata. The lighting helps a bit.

Me at Flyin Miata's Open House, about 6 years back.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/12 12:36 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 12:38 p.m.
HunterJP wrote: You missed. That is my car. 1994 Laguna Blue Miata. The lighting helps a bit. Me at Flyin Miata's Open House, about 6 years back.

Well i'll be damned.... the lighting makes it look way different!

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 12:39 p.m.
EvanB wrote:

God every time someone posts this orange one.... it's so awesome.

EvanB
7/30/12 12:40 p.m.

Ever since it was first painted like that years ago I have been temped to do it to one of my Miatas.

Although I would maybe paint the lip and rocker black to make the car look less chunky.

Keith
7/30/12 1:11 p.m.

BRG is just a nod to old farts who are stuck in the past. It's not an attractive color on an NA. This is not an opinion, it's fact.

Laguna blue is kinda pretty, but it looks best when it's closest to...Mariner blue. I really have to get a good picture of my car

Best looking factory color for the NB is harder. I suspect the very rare Laser Blue is a great looking car, but I can't remember if I've ever actually seen one. I think I have. The black MSM is pretty good, and Lava Orange just entertains me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 1:15 p.m.

For NBs... my ranking is:

1) Black Mica
2) Black Cherry Mica
3) Lava Orange
4) 02 SE Ti Gray
5) Crystal Blue whatever
6) MSM Ti Gray
7) Dog E36 M3
8) BRG
9) Any of the reds.

EvanB
7/30/12 1:47 p.m.

My favorite NB color:

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/30/12 1:52 p.m.

I really like shades of green:

1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/30/12 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

I love Mariner blue, but it is very much an NA color. I like all of the NA blues, actually, including Montego....

1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/30/12 5:03 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I've thought of SE grey also, very elegant.

And it would go with a silver motor bay if I didn't paint the motor bay.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 5:09 p.m.
1966stang wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I've thought of SE grey also, very elegant. And it would go with a silver motor bay if I didn't paint the motor bay.

I like the SE grey a lot... wish the MSMs used the same grey instead of the blue-er one they did.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/30/12 5:26 p.m.

I always wanted to do one either in Colorado Orange ('70s BMW color) or Lotus Chrome Orange.

Colorado:

Chrome Orange:

I also think either one of these two blues from the MINI palette would be great. Oxygen Blue: Ice Blue:

1966stang
1966stang Reader
7/30/12 5:27 p.m.

I like the ice blue....not sure how it would look on an NB, but it looks good on the MINI!

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/30/12 5:49 p.m.

I think some of the old Porsche greens would look great too:

Chartreuse:

Leaf Green:

Nobody seems to know exactly what color this car is, but I love it (it's a bit lighter than Leaf Green, I know the file name says Seafoam, but that's not the real name):

Keith
7/30/12 5:56 p.m.
Josh wrote: Chrome Orange:

Chrome Orange actually doesn't look as good in person as it does in the pictures, in my opinion. I used it on my Seven and it really works there, but I've not been as impressed with how the Elise wears it. It's also a brutally expensive three-stage.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/30/12 6:17 p.m.
Keith wrote: BRG is just a nod to old farts who are stuck in the past. It's not an attractive color on an NA. This is not an opinion, it's fact.

Martini colors are way overdone. They work best on the boxy cars of the '80's and look like crap on a Miata with all its curves. Orange on a Seven replica mixed with aluminum panels looks like the (obviously young and tasteless) builder cheaped out, went to Lowes Depot and picked out the first color on the spraybomb shelf that grabbed their eye.

Those aren't opinions, they are facts.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/30/12 6:27 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Josh wrote: Chrome Orange:
Chrome Orange actually doesn't look as good in person as it does in the pictures, in my opinion. I used it on my Seven and it really works there, but I've not been as impressed with how the Elise wears it. It's also a brutally expensive three-stage.

I like it on the Elises I've seen (not many), but I'd go with Colorado on my own car. You notice Chrome Orange was the only metallic color I posted. I think Miatas usually look better in solid colors, and there's also more margin for error in a solid color repaint.

Keith
7/30/12 6:32 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Keith wrote: BRG is just a nod to old farts who are stuck in the past. It's not an attractive color on an NA. This is not an opinion, it's fact.
Martini colors are way overdone. They work best on the boxy cars of the '80's and look like crap on a Miata with all its curves. Orange on a Seven replica mixed with aluminum panels looks like the (obviously young and tasteless) builder cheaped out, went to Lowes Depot and picked out the first color on the spraybomb shelf that grabbed their eye. Those aren't opinions, they are facts.

You shouldn't post incorrect information on the internet. Otherwise future generations will be misguided. Or they will think us fools. And we can't have the children thinking us fools!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ic6SfZPk3Igxt0bZ0gvH2BnGpI77F3oJM7HbJDbmBHktxcAuvJ9skyqRlcpxsTYv