Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/5/13 10:47 p.m.

A good friend of mine wants my Cressida that I am selling. He however has been battling coming up with the cash. Whenever he gets enough something breaks on his car, or his house. He offered me either his Conquest which I like, but I fear turbo cars, a nice 91 RX-7 vert that is slightly crunched. I like both cars, but have reservations about both.

Today I was talking to him about his old NSU which I had been talking to a co-worker about this past week. During the conversation he says hey why don't we trade the NSU for the Cressida? Really I hadn't thought about it, and I could really use the cash a lot more at this point but it is intriguing.

The car is really clean, and he is the second owner. You can see it here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3890595

It needs rear brakes to be truly DD material, but is otherwise nice from what I remember. I have never owned a German car, or an air-cooled car.What do you guys think? If I decide to make a trade instead of cash is this a good swap?

Chris

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/13 12:50 a.m.

Dude, that's not even a question!

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
10/6/13 1:09 a.m.

I would do that in a heartbeat.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/13 3:55 a.m.

Oddly enough, I knew in my head what the NSU would look like, but I couldn't picture the Cressida. It must be this place...

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/6/13 6:18 a.m.
Woody wrote: Oddly enough, I knew in my head what the NSU would look like, but I couldn't picture the Cressida. It must be this place...

i don't know what either looks like, and have never heard of an NSU before this thread..

imgon
imgon New Reader
10/6/13 6:55 a.m.

That looks pretty nice. Not sure what either car is worth but if you are happy with an even swap I would think its a good deal. You won't have to worry about radiators anymore....Good luck

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/6/13 7:00 a.m.

That NSU is really cool.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/6/13 7:08 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: Dude, that's not even a question!

+1.

In a sense, you're trading a barely supported Japanese car for a little known (but I think slightly better supported) German car.

My gut says: ABSOBERKINGLUTELY. For one, I have to believe you'd have an easier time selling the NSU on the open market. An NSU is definitely a "collector car" whereas a good condition Cressida is more of a 'novelty' collector car with a more limited market.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/6/13 7:12 a.m.

It doesn't solve the problem of you needing money, and would it be harder selling a NSU than a Cressida?

Those are the two questions you need to answer.

If it was me frustrated with my Cressida, I would trade just to have something new to play with.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/13 8:34 a.m.

I would jump all over that NSU and I don't know anything about them. That thing looks like a time machine.
Give your car a certain time frame on CL and if it isn't sold then offer the trade.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/13 8:42 a.m.

It is very clean and the interior is fantastic, so much cool old skool, it is glorious.

You won't be able to successfully traffic light race a diesel Mercedes though

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/6/13 8:43 a.m.

Wait, is that NSU VW powered? I don't know anything about the piston powered cars and very little about the Wankel rotary versions.

Regular readers of this space will know I'm not a gigantic German car fan, but this deal has potential. As in: swap him the Cressida (which is a neat car but doesn't have the collectability cachet) then put the NSU in Hemmings for a stupid price and see what happens.

The guys at NSU were thinking outside the box for sure. Check out the valve gear on this motorcycle engine:

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/6/13 9:04 a.m.

The nsu is powered by a four cylinder air cooled vw/audi /nsu engine. At least that's what I believe to be true. I remember seeing vw /audi logos on the engine.

Chris

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/13 9:07 a.m.

It sort makes sense that you would have an NSU, seeing as you have so many awesome and clean rotaries, just a shame it is not the Ro80

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/6/13 9:23 a.m.

Apparently, that NSU straight four was used as the basis for the development of the VAG EA827 straight four engines. Those NSU's are well respected in Europe. That model should have double wishbones and disc brakes in the front (if memories serves well).

I have no idea how much they are worth here, but it's definitely something I would sample if I had the opportunity.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/6/13 9:47 a.m.

I'm with Hungary Bill and Singleslammer.. Every second wasted here is a tragedy.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
10/6/13 10:05 a.m.

Seems to me that it would be a new thing to play with and the NSU is pretty cool looking.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/7/13 8:15 a.m.

Does anyone on here know anything about these cars? Specifically if they are even remotely reliable? Engines any good?

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/7/13 8:50 a.m.

Just found the old article about those little NSU's. The 1200c is pretty much the same as the TT in this article. If the powers disapprove of this, I will take it out.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/7/13 2:47 p.m.

Thanks for the article.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/13 2:53 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Does anyone on here know anything about these cars? Specifically if they are even remotely reliable? Engines any good?

If looked after, they're pretty reliable. If not, well...

You might have to source parts abroad, most likely in Germany where they still have a following (TTs are still big in classic racing and hill climbs) so I don't think mechanical parts will be too much of a problem. No idea about body parts, I haven't read the German equivalent of Hemmings in a few years.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/7/13 2:57 p.m.

I have a friend that lives in Germany so I may be able to lean on him for some help. I suppose shipping will be an issue, but not insurmountable.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/13 3:04 p.m.

Shipping is most likely going to be expensive, but not an issue .

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/7/13 3:32 p.m.

Behold, the bmw 2002 sized corvair.....

Actually, these were a bit smaller weren't they?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
10/7/13 3:33 p.m.

Definitely do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8EVaURhBvJoIG5l9m4nk2N0VM5hXWRpJJNix8DoMSGHtnecuCDJhQeAKlBJ3TyMk