1 2 3
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/21/08 10:27 a.m.

I'm currently fed up with PC games right now. I hate having to constantly upgrade my f'ing system and spending money just to keep the game running smoothly (don't you dare insert a Mac comment, b/c you can't even play these games on it, and i will back hand yo a$$). Forza 2 has been more than entertaining for me especially with the awesome online play and the wicked cool customization of the cars. I love how you can do swaps, custom paint jobs, etc. I can't wait for Forza 3 because I hear it is light years better than 2 which would make it freakin' awesome. The only thing that sucks is that the Microsoft wheel is horrible which is why I don't have one for the Xbox.

GT5 Prologue blows, online play sucks, but at least it's pretty to look at.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
10/21/08 3:57 p.m.
Tang07 wrote: Maybe I missed this but: Will the work on a PC (with a USB connection?) Everywhere that seems to sell it only mentions "PS2 & PS3" compatibility. Thanks in Advance. -Tang07

Yes, any USB Logitech wheel for the PS2 or 3 will also work on the PC. You will need to download and install this driver to make the Force Feedback work and to have advanced button mapping. It is obviously not included in the box with a wheel marketed for a console.

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/latest_soft_main.htm

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/6/08 11:51 p.m.

I'll be joining you guys soon. Just need to order a monitor. (I carry the same MacBook Pro back and forth to the office.)

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/7/08 6:30 a.m.

Anyone know if iRacing will run on xp 64bit? This a huge concern to me as this is my primary computer and also my gaming setup. Even if it doesn't use 64bit I'd like to be sure it will run.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
11/7/08 11:52 a.m.

Still waiting for demo or free trial period ;)

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
11/8/08 10:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I'll be joining you guys soon. Just need to order a monitor. (I carry the same MacBook Pro back and forth to the office.)

I bought a Westinghouse 20" monitor for 159.99 at Best Buy. 1680x1050 resolution, too.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/8/08 11:07 a.m.

Well I've signed up for iRacing myself. It works great on XP x64, so it meets my requirments. VIR and Summit are the only courses I've driven in real life, and they are exact (except it is before Summit was repaved, I'm glad). I used to work with LIDAR scanners before when I was working for the government (this is what was used to model the tracks) to model buildings. And it is very accurate. They use GPS to correlate their positions. But I was rather shocked by their level of accuracy. Most people think of GPS as accurate to a couple feet. With good equipment and setup time, the GPS units we used with the scanner were accurate to .5mm, that's right 2 hundredths of an inch. So they are perfect.

Like was stated earlier though, you need 900 degree wheels for sure. The limited rotation is a serious hindrance. I have tried my friends G25 on it and their is no comparison. I will be ordering one next week.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/16/08 9:43 p.m.

This looks like a super cool game...but I'm unsure of the high cost just to play a single game. While I understand it might be the best racing sim out there, I'd like to see more "basic subscription" cars to choose from.

That it seems like right now its pretty simple in terms of "fun stuff". Sure they've got some neat cars, but what about multiple types of cars in the same races, like Grand-Am or Speed WC.

FastedHHRSS
FastedHHRSS
12/9/08 7:27 p.m.

I'm a retired SCCA ITS racer, age (64), time, money. But I eally miss the racing. This IRacing looks like the answer. I was here looking for some advice on which wheel system to get. After watching Black Stig's demo the Logitech G25 looks like the only way to go.

Cost, hell, a race week-end with my ITS RX7 was over $1000.00, a year budget was $10,000 plus what I could hide from my wife (six races). This looks like a bargin!!! Even if I have to replace the wheel every year. (a set of racing tires were $800, and I only got two races out of a set.

ED

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
12/10/08 9:31 p.m.

Ed- I think there are a lot of guys with a similar competition background. I bet you'll feel right at home with iRacing.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
12/10/08 10:42 p.m.

Yeah, I got my G25 all installed and it rocks! And Ed you definitely will fit right in. I would wager to bet over half the population drive professionally in real life, and half of them probably drive the cars that they're driving in iRacing.

FastedHHRSS
FastedHHRSS New Reader
12/16/08 6:30 p.m.

I see in one of the YouTube demos http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K7yF1zbO_bA it looks like the driver is view is changing as his head turns. I think he is using "TrackIR4" hardware. has anyone had experience with this or simalor hardware?

ED

FastedHHRSS
FastedHHRSS New Reader
12/16/08 6:48 p.m.

Again, I'm new to this sim stuff, haven't had a racing game since IndyCar Racing II, and an old DOS F1 game. Just came across a "Netkar Pro" video on youtube http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0ZZJxOBQg of a car at Monaco, it's a wow, How does this compair to iRacing?

ED

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 7:21 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I'm currently fed up with PC games right now. I hate having to constantly upgrade my f'ing system and spending money just to keep the game running smoothly (don't you dare insert a Mac comment, b/c you can't even play these games on it, and i will back hand yo a$$). Forza 2 has been more than entertaining for me especially with the awesome online play and the wicked cool customization of the cars. I love how you can do swaps, custom paint jobs, etc. I can't wait for Forza 3 because I hear it is light years better than 2 which would make it freakin' awesome. The only thing that sucks is that the Microsoft wheel is horrible which is why I don't have one for the Xbox. GT5 Prologue blows, online play sucks, but at least it's pretty to look at.

Man, you're a crotchety berkely aren't you?

The flip side for "having" to upgrade your system to play the games smoothly can be somewhat nullified by not buying cheap systems in the first place and by purchasing systems in parts that be upgraded overtime. Second think of the cost of the system versus the cost of the latest console and how the games tend to be hamstrung slightly by the limitations of the console.

This is why true sims tend to run on PC hardware or custom-built hardware with accompanying software. The question is really, which do you want to play? Games or Simulations? For Games a console is fine, for a simulation a PC is what you will need.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
12/17/08 6:59 a.m.

In reply to FastedHHRSS:

It doesn't. The game play doesn't look too bad, but I'd wager money it's not as detailed physics as iRacing. Also the track model is poor quality, so there is no comparison there.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
12/17/08 8:29 a.m.

I had gotten to a pretty good point in the Solstices, so naturally I threw it all out the window and made the jump to the Skip Barber car for increased track variety; now I feel like a total noob again, but my lamentations about variety are all gone with the massive new spate of tracks. Even the ones I thought I knew, like Lime Rock, require a great deal more attention in the Skippy. As with the Solstice, the speed seems to be coming with practice.

Don't forget to bone up on Daytona Int'l Speedway if you're coming to the Rolex 24, the iRacing guys will be there with their super-awesome setup (the big fancy one that was in the article).

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/22/08 2:52 p.m.

Painter George of the Hong South crew just built a sim setup using a bed frame, shopping cart, free seat, and old computer last week. Fortunately for me, George made it so that it could fit easily in the back of my brother's car. Big Bro came up from Tampa for xmas/Steelers game this weekend, and we had a blast 'playing' rFactor. Here's George's video of the build. For anyone considering pointing out grammatical errors, please keep in mind that George has ginormous Honduran fists of fury, and knows how to use them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfNQUkRSXM&feature=channel_page

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
12/27/08 2:36 p.m.

I need some help here. I got the Driving Force GT wheel and GTR2 for a Christmas gift. I am trying to run this on my PC but am running into 1 very annoying issue. When accelerating I can't fully press the gas pedal without some sort of fuel cutoff happening. I can accelerate at 99% throttle but the second I press it down fully the car starts slowing down. When I configure the accelerator I see the blue bar moving as I press the pedal down and when I fully press it the blue bar just disappears. It's really annoying so does anyone have any suggestion or know of forums or whatever that I can go research this?

Also, I don't know if the above issue is all of my problem or not but I'm playing novice and still getting schooled badly. I'm not even close in times to the computer players. I must really stink!

Anyway, thanks for any help with my accelerator issue.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
12/28/08 2:59 a.m.

For the accelerator issue, i'd go into game controllers in the control panel and see what it acts like in there. You could do a calibration which might straighten that out. Does the brake do the same thing?

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
12/28/08 7:51 a.m.

The acceleration falls off when fully pressed no matter where the wheel is calibrated. The brake acts fine. I'm wondering if it's something with the wheel itself.

My wife is the computer expert in the house and she's fed up with it and telling me to just get the G25. I've heard about reliability issues with the G25 but if we can't get the DFGT working I may trade up although I don't really want to.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/28/08 2:03 p.m.

This kid I work with and I have both had the same problem with ours as well. I fixed mine by simply taking the pedal assembly apart lubing everything up, getting some dirt and crap out of there. My co-worker got a wooden dowel and drilled out a hole by the brake pedal and put the dowel through there and in between the brake pedal and the spring or something like that. I'll get him to send me pictures so you can see.

It has nothing to do with the calibration within software or anything like that. It's the pedal assembly itself after some wear and tear it happens. But after reading again it looks like you got it new so I dunno now.

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
12/29/08 3:04 p.m.

Mine's brand new so I'm not sure what the problem is.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/08 3:47 p.m.

The potentiometer in the pedal assembly may be misaligned so that when you go WOT, you're going over center and the signal drops back down to zero. I would exchange it for a new one under warranty or look at adding a pedal stop to the assembly and adjust it for proper WOT and leave it at that.

You could do the same for the brake pedal only add a small mostly sealed off air or hydraulic pump to provide some "feeling" An R/C car shock with the piston holes mostly closed off should get a decent feeling of varying firmness without the weird constant tension springs provide.. You'd have to play with the valving and stroke to get things to work properly.

Ideally, if I were designing a throttle and brake pedal solution, I'd have them top hinged with a pressure transducer on the brake side to provide better feedback with perhaps a small pump to simulate ABS. I would think this could allow you to actually modulate the brakes like you would in a real car.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
12/29/08 4:18 p.m.

Sounds like a faulty potentiometer? If it's new, I'd exchange it and say it's busted. Does it do the same thing in other programs or in the game controller configuration screen in windows?

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/29/08 4:35 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: This thing scares me... I've sank waaaaaay too many hours into the Gran Turismo series, and then Forza when my g/f insisted on an Xbox instead of a PS2 (luckily we picked up a Wii for the current generation of systems, so no race-sim to fuel the addiction).

I have never played Forza, but I just acquired a Playstation and have been playing the GT series of games.

They could not hold a candle to a PC game as far as realism is concerned. It's like comparing Coors to beer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5LrSblTgPFDYWxqEVV5Icmzv62sLi8OjtvZUqi7EluJVubVZV6JjZJgAiydjReew