1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/24/14 2:56 p.m.

I've been seeing these mentioned more and more often now, and it seems you can get a REALLY nice one for pretty much Challenge price.

Trionic 7 is... tuneable?

They use Mitsubishi or Garrett turbos, so swapping them should be easy. They seem to have decent aftermarket, and i know the motors will make power. I've actually only ridden in one... was a 1999 4dr SE "H.O." I remember being impressed at how ballsy it was, and how comfortable. Sloppy? Yeah. A bit. That's always fixable to a point, though.

Is this the next place i should move to if i want something like what originally drew me to the MX6, but in a more modern/comfy/upscale package? I've ruined my MX6 and driving it resembles nothing what actually makes these cars good.

The idea would be a comfy highway cruiser with tons of power, good mpg, good reliability, cheap cost of entry, and handles well enough to be entertaining, but no need for a razor-sharp sports car. Basically... a powerful FWD GT car.

Is this my huckleberry?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/14 7:33 p.m.

They are really underrated vehicles, the NG900 and 9-3. Their main issue is that it is easy to make a lot more power than the chassis was designed to handle; luckily the aftermarket has largely solved that with steering rack and subframe brace kits. '00-up cars were the years of sludge, since Saab originally spec'd dino oil with a ridiculous 10k OCI; earlier cars have a different oil pickup system that is less finicky. '94-99 is T5, '00-up is T7. Both are VERY good engine management systems that are very well-understood in the tuning community. T5 engines are more stout but it's not a huge worry until you're pushing 400HP. The best thing about these cars right now is that they're pretty much worthless...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/24/14 8:09 p.m.

Not to hijack, but Are the bellhousings available for a conversion to rwd?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
12/24/14 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I know at one point in the 90's, SAAB switched to a GM bellhousing pattern for their engines. I don't know exactly what type it uses, but I'm sure you can get a stock GM trans to fit a RWD application.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
12/24/14 8:58 p.m.

Also, I'm interested in this thread because those are CHEAP around here. So I'm curious as well.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
12/24/14 9:13 p.m.

I need another car like I need a hole in my head, but this thread has me intrigued dear sir

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/24/14 10:21 p.m.

Some of them (only 96-97 though I think) are on the list of cars that have emissions monitor issues, so keep that in mind if you live in a place where that matters.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/14 10:55 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: In reply to Trackmouse: I know at one point in the 90's, SAAB switched to a GM bellhousing pattern for their engines. I don't know exactly what type it uses, but I'm sure you can get a stock GM trans to fit a RWD application.

that would be 1994 I think.. the NG/GM 900 came out.up until then, the saab engine was longitudinally mounted backwards atop the transmission with a chain drive down to it

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/24/14 11:08 p.m.

I went on a CL hunt and there wasn't a single manual transmission within 400 miles, and seemingly 75% of them were convertibles.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/25/14 12:09 a.m.

I really want the wagon version of these. Found one for 3.5k with 80k loaded.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/25/14 12:29 a.m.

I've been watching these. My neighbor/mechanic buddy has a pair of them. Good manual ones seem to have $4-5000 asking prices around here. There is one up on CL now for well under challenge money that "smokes when changing gears". Turbo seals? Perfect time to upgrade.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
12/25/14 9:23 a.m.

I have been driving a stage 1 aero spec 9000 since summer. It really moves out and makes highway passing a breeze. I get great gas mileage as well. The 9000's are really thin on the ground compared to the 9-3s.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/25/14 9:44 a.m.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4807646017.html

You weren't kidding about these things being cheap! A quick CL search shows that they are essential free for the taking around here.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
12/25/14 6:42 p.m.

I had a new 99 9-3 5door they are a hell of a machine. need the sub frame brace but, make good power and are very comfortable. I have had a 9-5 from he same era also and would buy another 9-3 for sure. ask any specific questions you might have.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/26/14 9:26 p.m.

I know a lot of you don't like 'verts, but I do. Anyone have experience with them? Obviously, they're mechanically identical, but how wet noodle-esque does taking the roof off make it?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/14 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Worse. The tin-tops are helped immensely by aftermarket bracing...the convertibles basically NEED it. They have scuttle shake problems like a 70's Alfa. On the bright side, the OE tops are superbly made and do a great job, even in winter. They are also one of a very few convertibles available with "real" back seats.

mad_machine
12/27/14 7:24 a.m.

Saab does know how to built a convertible top.. and on the original 900, they put it on a well braced chassis (the vert is based on the 900 sedan, not the coupe') that still had some shake, but was not bad. On the NG900 and 9-3.. it is not only a wet noodle, it is still a steaming noodle that just came out of the pot

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/27/14 7:42 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: In reply to Klayfish: On the bright side, the OE tops are superbly made and do a great job, even in winter. They are also one of a very few convertibles available with "real" back seats.

That's the thing. Though I'd really like another Miata, or a Boxster if the budget miraculously exploded, I'll be much better off right now with a 4 seater. Plus, I recently bought a LeMons car. A lot of budget has been diverted towards that, so I'm looking for an inexpensive 'vert for a weekend toy. The Sebring/Solara are as boring as my DD Prius, so they're out. From what I've seen on CL, I can get a well cared for 9-3 vert for half...or even 1/3...of what a very high miles and questionable care E36 is priced at. I had a similar vintage 9-5 wagon as a DD and really liked the car. I have zero interest in tracking or even autox'ing whatever 'vert I get. It's strictly for enjoying a nice day, and to have the option of bringing the kids. But I still want it to at least be interesting to drive.

mad_machine
12/27/14 8:32 a.m.

As tempting as it might be.. if the standard 9-3 vert is a wet noodle..do not even think about the Viggen Vert. it's a wet noodle with a powerplant turned up to 11

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/27/14 8:38 a.m.

Nope, no Viggens, just the standard 9-3. I'm assuming that's very similar to E36...the non-M3 are more reliable and less maintenance intensive. That's what I want, as I don't have time or skills to deal with a maintenance diva. How easy is it to add some bracing to the 'vert?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
12/27/14 8:51 a.m.

Damn it. Don't you people need to mention the ignition cassettes and other annoying little foibles these cars have to keep me from getting one?

84FSP
84FSP Reader
12/27/14 9:02 a.m.

These have entered my potential daily list as well as the first gen CTS V. Need to automate my SearchTempest at this point...

mad_machine
12/27/14 9:48 a.m.

ignition cassettes are easy.. all they are is 4 coils in a package. You can take them apart. We should be imaginative enough around here to figure out how to replace the individual coils

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/14 1:30 p.m.

Damn you all.....I just saw a 99 for just about challenge money with a clean interior/exterior and a manual. It may be the highway cruiser I've been looking for.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/27/14 5:58 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I'm assuming that's very similar to E36...the non-M3 are more reliable and less maintenance intensive.

How would that be true? The e36 m3 doesn't have any different parts that would impact reliability or maintenance compared to its pedestrian siblings. The euro m3 is a different story, but has another 90hp or so.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mDAd1yJHSAZCPM8tOe8FxX4cuEhF9Aruulrci4xiblQZgVQ9bDJ7moAS7EHrMukx