JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/7/24 12:57 p.m.

Because we’re primarily a sports car-centric media outlet, we don’t frequently get invited to press launches for more general-interest consumer vehicles. So we were intrigued when Chevy called us and asked us to come check out a feature on its newest Silverado 1500, and we were even more intrigued when we showed up and the test trucks had race car-sized …

Read the rest of the story

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/7/24 1:11 p.m.

This would be awesome in a motor home when its good enough to get up and get a soda, make a sandwich, or use the restroom. Even if you're mostly just standing up to switch who is monitoring the system.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 1:30 p.m.

This has the same core problem as every other "self driving" setup on the market. It's Level 2 autonomy, which means it can steer and control speed but the driver needs to be willing and able to take over at any time with little or no notice - and that will be when something has gone wrong so it may require immediate action. That's not how human attention works. 

The ones that are really good at it are arguably even more dangerous, because they lull the driver into a false sense of security and the driver treats it like Level 4. I have real concerns about Level 2 and Level 3 autonomy being fundamentally flawed. Level 1 (speed OR steering control, but not both) is better as it forces the driver to be at least partially engaged all the time.

They're okay for a momentary use like adjusting the nav system - the equivalent of having your buddy reach over and grab the wheel. But I'd strongly recommend having a hand on the wheel and two eyeballs on the road whenever possible. It's not like lane keeping is difficult if you're looking ahead.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/7/24 1:41 p.m.

"Super Cruise does require some engagement on your part. You can’t just start making lap fajitas and check out completely."

And there's the rub.

You, GM, and GRM readers understand this, but what about when run-of-the-mill Freddie Facebook and Tammy Texter get behind the wheel?  That was a rhetorical question since they are already behind the wheel of something, and first responders, insurance adjusters, and insurance actuaries already know the answer.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

Not really rhetorical, we've already seen it with some high profile Tesla crashes. What makes it worse is that those owners are being told that it is effectively a Level 4 system. The better it gets, the easier it is to believe that. Until suddenly it's out of ideas.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/7/24 2:53 p.m.

Ford's system allows you to use the feature while towing, I just did it pulling a 6x12 Uhaul from the Panhandle of Florida to the Tampa area to bring supplies for hurricane clean up in my Raptor. No you can't sit there and play your Nintendo Switch while it's activated but it helps keep you centered and alert of traffic. 

I'd be interested to check out GMs variation of it. Towing with the Raptor sucks in general so it would be nice to try out with a truck that is actually meant to tow things. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/7/24 4:20 p.m.

First the feature is not a $2400 option; at a minimum a $3300 option as folks now tend to finance for 72 months. 

For someone like me who keeps vehicles 10 years or more it's a $4500 option.

As someone who does Software As Service contracts I can tell you these things in automobiles are utterly predatory.   

We all know full well that around the 5-6 year mark GM will "sunset" the software (because this is what software companies do) and your truck's feature will no longer work. At that point it will be an upgrade if not a reason to convince people to get a new truck.

It was only a matter of time before automobiles got swept up into product/features being viewed as a revenue stream rather than a product.  Words cannot truly convey how much I loathe this business model.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xlAFNtwNLxow3OSP4KryHBlAPHeZ6aXzNMTUeA9sC0JdVUneAtVhnfUlw225ygpz