1 2 3 4
GR40RACER
GR40RACER New Reader
4/16/10 10:13 p.m.

Odd question to ask, right? But judging by the numbers, yes. Is that all there is to it?

In reality? Probably not, but then, "better" is relative. It's here that we'd caution you to remember the traditional line about apples, oranges, and comparisons. Both the 2011 Ford Mustang GT and the current BMW M3 offer staggering performance, V-8 power, and rear-wheel drive. One is a pedigreed European sport sedan, the other a charmingly raw piece of traditional American muscle. As to which one we like better, well, that depends on the day, our mood, the road, and how much diner food/schnitzel we had that morning. Different cars, different purposes, both awesome for entirely different reasons.

Still, aren't those numbers nuts? Progress rules.

Is The New Ford Mustang Better Then The BM M3? Jalopnik 4/16/2010

They forgot a couple of stats:

M3 Torque: 295 lb/ft @ 3900 RPM, GT Mustang Torque: 390 lb/ft @ 4250 RPM

14/20 mpg for the M3, 17/26 mpg for the GT Mustang

And you have to also consider the difference in insurance cost between a M3 and a GT Mustang.

Add in a Griggs Racing SLA/torgue arm/adj. coil over suspension and you'll have that 2011 Mustang up to 1.2+ lateral G's on the pad for less then $45K and still have $14K left in your pocket...

Any takers???

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
4/16/10 10:17 p.m.

I'm autocrossing with BMWCCA tomorrow (in a subaru). So I'll ask them and see what they think.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/16/10 10:30 p.m.

you make an impressive case for the mustang, but there is one thing the ///m has that the mustang never will: bmwness. that may sound silly to some but others know what im taking about

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/16/10 10:32 p.m.

Yeah but $14K is an awful lot of BMWness, its not exactly punishment to have Mustangness these days

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/16/10 10:44 p.m.

That's 7 Challenge cars of BMWness.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/16/10 10:59 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: you make an impressive case for the mustang, but there is one thing the ///m has that the mustang never will: bmwness. that may sound silly to some but others know what im taking about

Not just "bmwness" but ///m-ness as well... which is arguably worth even more.

That said, I agree progress is good and the new 'stang appears to be quite a car.

Claff
Claff New Reader
4/16/10 10:59 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I'm autocrossing with BMWCCA tomorrow (in a subaru). So I'll ask them and see what they think.

I will see you there. Running in the morning with a pair of anti-BMWs. #93 black Mazdaspeed Miata for me while the wife will attempt to break my white/striped '90 #179

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
4/17/10 1:24 a.m.

I've seen this comparison before. It makes a little sense. But I think these are just too different. Although it is awesome that an American car can run with the big boys.

spdracer315
spdracer315 Reader
4/17/10 5:17 a.m.

Good comparison, but not sure somebody shopping an m3 is going to cross shop a mustang, or vise versa. 2 different markets. I like them both for different reasons, and since i cant afford an m3 anyways (who am i kidding i cant afford the GT either...) id probably take the mustang. If money wasnt a consern, id take both

TJ
TJ Dork
4/17/10 8:59 a.m.

No.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/10 9:16 a.m.

Yes.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/10 9:17 a.m.

In seriousness, the new Mustang is quite the car. I'll take mine in Grabber blue. I like my M3s with four-doors, though, so there is no equivalent at Ford prices

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/10 9:24 a.m.

This comparison was pure genius on the part of Jalopnik. Not because it's a valid comparison, but because it's getting linked to every automotive forum on the web, which generates more traffic for Jalopnik.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/10 9:24 a.m.

the new mustang is fugly and a ford, neither of which i like being seen in.

the m3 is hot.

given the choice between the two i'd probably go to the chevy dealer and buy a camaro ss.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/17/10 9:32 a.m.

The new M3 with the DCT, well I'd kill for one.

I got to drive my buddies last month. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that "almost" accelerates like a sportbike on the highway.

Absolutely intoxicating. And the gearbox has me completely sold on DCT transmissions.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/17/10 11:17 a.m.

Is it better? No. Neither one of them are better, they are completely different cars. Put them in the twisties, I'll bet that no one is saying they are similar.

I think I'd take the Mustang for a number of reasons. First and foremost being that I don't like the new BMW's for the most part.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/17/10 11:33 a.m.

Awsome and Awsome, but at mustang prices you can get a 135. 3439LB, 300/300 hp/tq.

Hmm, the 135 would be better against a 4.6 mustang instead of the new 5.0

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/17/10 11:38 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: you make an impressive case for the mustang, but there is one thing the ///m has that the mustang never will: bmwness. that may sound silly to some but others know what im taking about

LMAO---"bmwness" wow--I'll sit this one out for joke making, I don't want anyone to get butthurt.

On a lighter note, check Continental Tire Challenge Series--Mustangs seem to keep up with the M3 out there, and last time I checked they go in the twisties, not just a strait line. But maybe that's just what I'm viewing...maybe I need my eyes checked.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/17/10 11:47 a.m.

I'd take the Mustang...forget about the Grigg's stuff...and just drive the damn thing.

The difference in price would go to pay for another year of college for the daughter.

TJ
TJ Dork
4/17/10 1:38 p.m.

I'm not buying either car. If I was given the Mustang I think I would sell it. The BMW I'd try to find a way to be able to afford to keep it.

Can't argue with those numbers for the stang, but they just have as much appeal to me as going to the dentist. If I were given $32k and told I must spend it on a new car I don't know what I would buy, but I certainly would go test drive an STI first, then a BMW 135. I don't think I would go to the ford dealer at all. That's just me, not saying anything is wrong with the mustang - just not my cup of tea.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/10 1:40 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Awsome and Awsome, but at mustang prices you can get a 135. 3439LB, 300/300 hp/tq. Hmm, the 135 would be better against a 4.6 mustang instead of the new 5.0

Why not a 135 vs the new V6 Stang?

Also, anybody else notice that the chart is done in Top Gear Magazine style?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/17/10 2:07 p.m.

Other than the torque numbers you added, it seems as though they are nearly even, with neither better, unlike what was said.

Joey

kb58
kb58 Reader
4/17/10 2:20 p.m.

Run both cars on a road course, that's the way to really find out. GRM... time for a comparo article! It needs to be stock-stock, though for a road course comparison, identical tires would be fair, and the same driver.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
4/17/10 3:19 p.m.

Break My "F'n" Window

BMWness. hahahahahahahahahahaha it still looks like the piss boy too me

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/17/10 3:48 p.m.

...and the M3 won't have the cool sequential rear turn signals.

(yes, I know Ford stole it from their own old Cougar...)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Va7qEoo9VPWe0nAOTg2b6kwpWe0u5XN0aNeTZsFRYjX0jjGcFBc6wBm2I3nqSRYR