JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/28/24 8:27 a.m.

They say Miata is always the answer. Well, “they” say a lot of stuff, but in this case, they may be onto something, because after 30-plus years and four generations, there hasn’t been a single Miata that hasn’t made a difference in our world. (Yes, we see you, too, NC, and you are loved.)

The latest Miata news: enough updates …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 158 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/28/24 8:37 a.m.

Yes

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/28/24 9:18 a.m.

Longtime Miata owner/fan here, but GRM has authored some fairly recent articles about the Toybaru Twins that have influenced me to change my answer from a firm "yes" to an equivocating "maybe."

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
8/28/24 9:22 a.m.

Depends on the question. Its one of very few affordable new cars that I'd take on a track. Throw used and modifed cars in there.... well its a different ball game.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/28/24 9:44 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Longtime Miata owner/fan here, but GRM has authored some fairly recent articles about the Toybaru Twins that have influenced me to change my answer from a firm "yes" to an equivocating "maybe."

Honestly I think if I'm cracking my wallet in this segment it would be at a Toyota or Subaru dealership as well. The big brakes on the tS were kind of a game changer.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/28/24 10:46 a.m.

After reading this article it seems like you really can't go wrong with either.

The tS might be more track-ready straight out of the box, but it doesn't take much to dial in a Miata.

I guess it depends on what your end goals are.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
8/28/24 11:16 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

I think the Toybaru twins would get my vote as well save for a few things

1. factory support/warranty support

2. Mazda supports SCCA and grass roots racing better than Toyota/Subaru does. 

While I agree the Toybaru twins are better cars, Mazda is my preferred provider.  

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
8/28/24 11:19 a.m.

nd2 is literally cheating at this point

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/24 11:22 a.m.

After being without mine for almost 6 months now, I miss it so much and will probably buy another. A new ND3 with the dynamic handling changes described above, plus the (finally!) updated infotainment system might be worth it.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/28/24 11:23 a.m.

It would be interesting to see where a Twin with similar prep to Andy's Triple Threat MX-5 lands on the speed chart. My gut is that the Miata has fantastic track car bones but that the factory suspension and tire choices knee-cap its lap time more than most. Therefore, it responds much better than most to mild go-fast mods. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/28/24 11:30 a.m.
CrashDummy said:

It would be interesting to see where a Twin with similar prep to Andy's Triple Threat MX-5 lands on the speed chart. My gut is that the Miata has fantastic track car bones but that the factory suspension and tire choices knee-cap its lap time more than most. Therefore, it responds much better than most to mild go-fast mods. 

I like this idea. Imagine how much fun it would be to prepare a Miata and a GR86/BRZ using as many of the same parts as possible.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/24 11:35 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
CrashDummy said:

I like this idea. Imagine how much fun it would be to prepare a Miata and a GR86/BRZ using as many of the same parts as possible.

Yeah, that would be a great comparison!  

I love the GR86 chassis, but the old engines were a major letdown in the power & fun department, and both the old and the new seem to be let downs from a engine reliability/longevity standpoint.  The chassis were great, though!   

For all the Frisbee fans: I know how you feel, I drove rotaries (2nd gen Rx-7s & 07 Rx-8) for nearly 20 years!  I've heard it all!

I love my ND2 RF :)   It's the best car for daily driving and practical fun I've ever had.  I've put probably close to 20 of the 36k miles on my 2021 ND with the top down. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
8/28/24 12:04 p.m.

Miata

Is

Admittedly not for me because I'm both tall and fat

The

Answer

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/28/24 5:12 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

I was just thinking about this today after reading JG's piece..  Since I'm kind of at the end of the road on the ND2 Miata dev cycle, w/o getting into big aero and power adders, is it time for a change?

But that top down driving season is upon us once again, and there's just something right about a convertible sports car.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/24 5:33 p.m.

Let me ask this.  A new Miata as above or a used 987 Cayman S?

StanO87
StanO87 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/28/24 6:32 p.m.

What type of tire does TS pkg GR/BZ come equipped with?  We know rubber is one of the most effective ways to improve lap times.  If a car comes equipped with Max Summer tires I'm more likely to track or autocross it as is and upgrade later versus a mandatory tire upgrade car on all seasons.  It's shocking Mazda outfits it's Club trim with all season rubber.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/28/24 7:12 p.m.
StanO87 said:

It's shocking Mazda outfits it's Club trim with all season rubber.

Not only that, but it's a really skimpy tire.  Says 205 on the sidewall, but physically its like most 195's.

If you go back to the start of the Triple Threat series, one of the first things we did was replace the tires with Pilot Super Sport, which picked up 1.5 seconds.  That's a typical hi-po OE fitment tire.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
8/28/24 7:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

not a fair comparison, lots of $30k cars available to drive.  The newest 987 is 10+ years old and a 30k Cayman S is probably a 987.1 which face a wide range of very expensive issues that require attention before you put a 987.1 on track.  A higher mileage f87 M2, an early A90 supra are not far out of the budget that these cars command especially when you consider the tS and Recaro/BBS miatas which are high 30's.  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
8/28/24 7:17 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
CrashDummy said:

I was just thinking about this today after reading JG's piece..  Since I'm kind of at the end of the road on the ND2 Miata dev cycle, w/o getting into big aero and power adders, is it time for a change?

But that top down driving season is upon us once again, and there's just something right about a convertible sports car.

lots of social media collaborations where two people bring two infamous cars out to "track battle"  I wonder if the power and pull of GRM could convince an influencer who owns such a car to come to TT nationals in 2 months time and accordingly could GRM convince you to bring the ND.  find the right social media personality to do a video series on it, GRM to write about it for the magazine, social media personality gets GRM coverage, GRM gets a great story for 2 very popular grassroots style cars...  just sayin...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/24 11:34 p.m.
Stampie said:

Bill Cardell, founder of Flyin' Miata, actually had both an ND2 Miata RF and a 987 Cayman S at the same time a couple of years ago. Flyin' Miata had its roots in a Porsche/Audi/VW service shop that he started so he's not unaware of the Germans.

He sold the Porsche, still has the Miata. He had it first, the Porsche apparently did not replace it.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/29/24 6:39 a.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

lots of social media collaborations where two people bring two infamous cars out to "track battle"  I wonder if the power and pull of GRM could convince an influencer who owns such a car to come to TT nationals in 2 months time and accordingly could GRM convince you to bring the ND.  find the right social media personality to do a video series on it, GRM to write about it for the magazine, social media personality gets GRM coverage, GRM gets a great story for 2 very popular grassroots style cars...  just sayin...

Hmmm...I know of such a car/influencer.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
8/29/24 8:03 a.m.

I've got an ND2 RF and love it. It's the Grand touring trim level, not Club, but was equipped with a BBK on the front, increased spring rates, Ohlins shocks, 17x8 wheels and 225 Continental ECS tires. It is , hands down, the best car I've ever driven !

Cobra86
Cobra86 New Reader
8/29/24 1:21 p.m.

"you’re reading a magazine about amateur motorsports, so you’re clearly not someone who makes the best financial decisions. Just do whatever you want."  Most accurate assessment of me that anyone has ever made...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zvwMB1i6CQ3SR9lHN2Dq7zZSEPuuJDxrQBLLwYjK54zj78B8mBf3IaoiKTbfPn5Z