1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/28/21 11:02 a.m.
MattGent said:

OP: I don't want another project

GRM: here's a 40yr old British car that weighs 4000lbs and only needs a transmission swap (sourced internationally) and solder EFI parts / carb swap / E85 conversion and has next to zero aftermarket support in this country

It may well be a cool car, and I like odd-ball performance cars, but it isn't at all what OP asked for.

https://youtu.be/M9I7GWllPFY

There are enough track-prepped Miata of each generation that one will pop up for sale in that price range eventually.

I guess you and I have different priorities. Me, I want to go as fast as possible for the least cost. 
    I bought my Jag for $500.  I'll have it racing for Challenge money.   That's a Legitimate  150 mph car ( stock ) with 4 wheel disk brakes,  4 wheel independent suspension.  Stripped down to less than 3000 pounds.   Vintage eligible. With a consumable cost around that of a Miata. 
     Now the Miata is a good car. Nimble handling and well proven.  It's just not as fast.  Oh I'm sure if you spend enough it can approach the same lap times with a great driver at the wheel.   But the Jag will just pull ahead from a corner and be impossible to get back around.  
    Not just a Jag but a Corvette,  Camaro, Mustang etc. ( although those will be much more expensive )  
    Finally, I'll be listening to the sweet exhaust note of Thundering Elegence ( to quote Road and Track ). 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/28/21 12:13 p.m.
sedrat said:

Yeah I don't think I really want a Jag for this lol. I think I'm just going to wait around until I see a clean-ish Miata of any gen, even if I have to splurge a bit. Throw a rollbar on if it needs one, maybe a seat, and call that good. Really, my only self-imposed time constraint is being able to get a day in at Auto Club before NASCAR bulldozes it. 

iRacing, and maybe a Lucky Dog or Chump Car enduro will have to do for my racing fix for now. Or a supermoto. Out of left field for this thread, but the race series is starting back up soon and looks like the closest thing around to Euro-style rallycross. I'm a little tempted

I'll be posting my '97 Miata for sale  in a week or so. It may be what you are looking for. Take a look in "my garage" and  search nermalsnert on the tube of yous. Please, no comments about my driving cheeky

sedrat
sedrat New Reader
4/28/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I can make a trip out to Tennessee right now. I think I'll find something with a bit of patience. I'm now seeing a few decent examples in the 5-7k range, but I guess the days of the 2k miata dream are over. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
19u3VrmKxZcwqryhPWaSPLTqKSaojt8qdV1b2xDFAhc5TdNpLPuri9nFzBo2qdrg