1 2
livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to TR7 :

count me in among the 'ham fisted' drivers...I remember the good old days when i could get 245/50-15 gatorbacks at 1/2 tread for 75 bucks a piece and they were competitive then, perhaps running a close second to comp t/a's of the same time period. And even with my usual overdriving and regular abuse on the street would last me a full season of autocross and regular street use between events. I am very much afraid these new tires would be a disappointment. I don't need a one lap wonder, i need something that absorbs driver mistakes and begs for more.

avboiler11
avboiler11 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/24 5:02 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Uh...we were pretty clear in the CRS V2 test that it would NOT likely be the hot ticket for autocross unless you were running in high ambient temps or lots of back-to-back runs (e.g. Pro Solo).

Prior to the P1, there has been a pretty solid status quo at the 200tw pointy end for both autocross and time trials, with the A052, RE71RS and CRS V2 being able to deliver similar times.  But each has some very different heat profiles.  A052 needs none and falls off with too much.  CRS needs lots and rarely falls off.  RE71RS is in the middle.  But if you only need one good lap or pass, and have the means to get the tire to it's optimal window, all of those models can deliver that one lap/run.

Based on the above, would you consider the CRSv2 to be a better HPDE tire than the RE71RS? 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/9/24 5:08 p.m.
avboiler11 said:
Andy Hollis said:

Prior to the P1, there has been a pretty solid status quo at the 200tw pointy end for both autocross and time trials, with the A052, RE71RS and CRS V2 being able to deliver similar times.  But each has some very different heat profiles.  A052 needs none and falls off with too much.  CRS needs lots and rarely falls off.  RE71RS is in the middle.  But if you only need one good lap or pass, and have the means to get the tire to it's optimal window, all of those models can deliver that one lap/run.

Based on the above, would you consider the CRSv2 to be a better HPDE tire than the RE71RS? 

Depends on ambient temps.  Here in central texas, I run RE71RS in the winter (40-80 degrees) and CRS V2 in the summer (80-100 degrees).  And either in the shoulder seasons. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/9/24 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Since the Vitour P1 compound is the same durometer as a Hoosier R7, do you think it's any more, or less durable than the Hoosier?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/24 6:24 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Since the Vitour P1 compound is the same durometer as a Hoosier R7, do you think it's any more, or less durable than the Hoosier?

What do you mean by "durable"?  Most people throw R7s out due to heat cycling long before it gets anywhere close to cord.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/9/24 7:36 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Hard to say.  The two can be related but not directly, and especially not linearly.  Empirical testing is the only real way to know.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/10/24 7:55 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I'm just thinking ahead to when Patrick and I have our Challenge car done. It has 15x10 wheels ,so I'm looking at a 275 hoosier vs the 285 Vitour . The Vitour is about $110 less per tire, but if it erases itself quickly it may not be a better buy. I'm also not concerned that it is a bit slower.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
1/10/24 8:10 a.m.

the scca fb pages aren't having any of this vitour talk

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/10/24 10:07 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

I know they denied the tire as a 200TW, but would it matter if a competitor ran it on a car in a class that uses race slicks?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/10/24 10:58 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to camopaint0707 :

I know they denied the tire as a 200TW, but would it matter if a competitor ran it on a car in a class that uses race slicks?

Who is "they"?

Look at the rules for the class...if it meets those, it's compliant.

Most race tire classes allow pretty much anything black and round.  Including custom-made slicks not available on the general market.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/10/24 11:01 a.m.
camopaint0707 said:

the scca fb pages aren't having any of this vitour talk

You must not be on the SCCA Time Trials Nationals FB page.  It's been there three times already...really long threads.  Two folks shilling hard and debating everyone else.  Then the mods will shut it down.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
1/10/24 11:19 a.m.

well that's what I was refererring too.  They really don't want free and open discussions on it.  Me personally I think it's partly political.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/10/24 12:31 p.m.
camopaint0707 said:

well that's what I was refererring too.  They really don't want free and open discussions on it.  Me personally I think it's partly political.

It keeps getting out of hand because there are two individuals shilling hard and debating everyone else.  Relentlessly. One of those has a sponsorship offer on the table, though he won't cop to it publicly.

I can also tell you that VU was soliciting investors for the recent big inventory buy from the community ranks when their initial group buy tactic failed to produce enough funding.  I would not be surprised if the other strong advocate is one of those with financial skin in the game.  He's not even from the SCCA TT community...he's an Optima guy.  Why is he there shilling?

Free and open discussion is one thing...constantly debating every single person that disagrees with your position is another.  People get frustrated and then the name-calling starts.  So the mods shut it down.

bslarsen728
bslarsen728 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/10/24 2:06 p.m.

Interesting on the Optima front, as Jimi Day has the Vitour on the exclusion list for that series (and his related LS Fest).

AutoX_a_Truck
AutoX_a_Truck New Reader
1/11/24 12:21 p.m.

I know that several bans by major organizers will probably reduce interest, but I may have a use for these. Has anyone tested the wider 18" sizes yet? I made the mistake of switching off 315/30R18 Yokes to 335 Nankangs at the end of last season. The Nankangs just don't work for me on 1st runs like the Yokes and I mostly run autoX events that end with single lap shootouts. The safe bet is to go back to Yokes, but I'm a bit of a gambler and curious if the P1s work as well as Yokes on 1st runs.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/12/24 6:33 a.m.
AutoX_a_Truck said:

I made the mistake of switching off 315/30R18 Yokes to 335 Nankangs at the end of last season. The Nankangs just don't work for me on 1st runs like the Yokes and I mostly run autoX events that end with single lap shootouts. The safe bet is to go back to Yokes, but I'm a bit of a gambler and curious if the P1s work as well as Yokes on 1st runs.

CRS V2 for autocross?  You're a brave man.  :)

Rule of thumb: Compound trumps size almost always. 

P1 compound is ready for action even when stone cold. Like an A052 but more so. 

92RS
92RS New Reader
2/3/24 12:02 a.m.

I've been digging around for Companies selling the P1 tire.

Most shops are just drop shippers. And the few shops with physical stock are holding like 5 popular sizes in small amounts and that's it. 

The sponsor'd guy, AKA the CEO Robert DeuPree. Keeps doing shady stuff and is constantly changing rules and promises about giving away tires to class winners. 

Reminds me of that Scammer who owned "IROC" Motorsports. All the same spiel and sketchy activities.

He didn't like my meme though 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rCPafYmI8pAF6vHIq6b6dAWfyVNpn76QJd7WTmtUI3zG3cG0GWbocPYJ24N6a5hb