Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/23/23 3:38 p.m.
stan said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Nissan Murano convertible 

Datsun F10

Wow. I'd forgotten about the F10....indecision

We may hate the F10 but there's a racer with an A14 engine and twin Weber carbs - can't hate that.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/23/23 3:40 p.m.
Duke said:

Second-gen AMC Matador.

I drove one for a while. I was kinda good. I would have gotten another one.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/23/23 3:41 p.m.
WillG80 said:

Aztec?

Yes. They should have been thrown in a dumpster.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/23/23 3:58 p.m.

Chevy Corsica

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/23/23 3:59 p.m.

I give you this Matador. Not too bad IMO. They just need a little effort. 

In that vein, my wife told me, after we were married, that she has owned not one, but two, AMC Hornet Sportabouts. If I'd have known that we might have held off on the marriage a little while longer so I could have gotten her some counseling. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/23/23 4:15 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to stan :

The F10/210 is one of the few cars that has never run in LeMons, per last year or so.

Ummm the F10 is fwd and the 210 is rwd.

They are completely different platforms with the only common part being the A-series engine.

The  310 is the later fwd version / next generation of F10 aka Cherry.

They also made race parts for F10s and they were popular as rally cars. Nissan even had a manual on how to prep one.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/23 4:16 p.m.
Trent said:

The Matador coupe is almost cute compared to the Matador sedan

That thing has zero redeeming features 

Coffin-nose Matadors are, admittedly, an aesthetic travesty. Earlier models were considerably more tasteful - certainly not beautiful, but handsome enough for a conservative American sedan aimed at conservative American buyers.

At any rate, there are plenty of weird but largely amiable AMC devotees out there who love them for what they are, warts and all. Much less a car that **NOBODY** likes, and more a car that nobody in your circe will admit to liking.

My vote for irredeemable unlovedness still goes to the Cimarron. I'll be at the bike racks if anybody wants to fight me over that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/23 4:21 p.m.

There's a lot of cars listed here that I've owned, or driven.  All cars have their adherents, except Chevettes.  They are hateful in every way, and anyone who denies it needs mental health care.

Back in the early 80's, through a mismatch of engine parts, we screwed together an F10 with 240 lbs of compression.  It was stupid fun.

I once owned an Altima Ser with a vq35 and six speed.  It was also fun.

The AMC trans am cars built by Penske meant there was AMC part numbers for Porsche 917 brakes.

Dustbuster vans sucked, too.  Most people who liked them changed their mind through concussions caused by hitting their head on the poorly designed doors.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/23/23 4:38 p.m.

I kind of want to own a Hornet Sportabout.  I don't see the issue with that car.  Same with the Matador Coupe.  The sedan is kind of... not useful in any way beyond "big simple car" but that's not such a bad thing.

I have known two different women who really liked their Aztec's.  I think if you look past the looks they're actually really useful and should be easy to keep on the road.

What about the Chrysler Crossfire?  Especially now as they've aged.  They seem pretty worthless from here...

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
7/23/23 4:44 p.m.

Plymouth Volares were universally terrible.  2nd gen Intrepids?  Besides fleets, who bought Intrepids?

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/23/23 4:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Land Rover Freelander. 

Except for that one guy who pops in here occasionally. 
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/land-rover-freelander/110592/page1/

Came here to say the same thing. Is it even possible to love a car that can't function long enough to fall for it in the first place? cheeky

EDIT: Just read back through that thread. I stand corrected, apparently all they need is $30k in warranty repairs and they're perfect! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, King Peckerhead laugh

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/23 4:49 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

All cars have their adherents, except Chevettes.  They are hateful in every way, and anyone who denies it needs mental health care.

Or a globe.

Even the dreary US-market version was not the worst thing in the world. When I was a kid, we were issued a Reliant K as a body shop loaner, and it was so terrible in every single way that we took it back and swapped it for a Chevette. The Chevette was better.

All this AMC chatter has me wondering whether the stick-shift Pacer I walk past most mornings is in need of a home.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/23 5:16 p.m.

Friends don't let friends drive Versas. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/23 5:22 p.m.

I was about to say Altimas. But it's the owners rather than the cars I loath.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/23/23 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Forgot about the Chevette." They are hateful in every way, and anyone who denies it needs mental health care." I got mad just remembering that POS but since you said that I feel better.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/23/23 5:32 p.m.

1st gen Versa hatch with a manual trans doesn't seem like a bad way to go about the 'small car, kind of entertaining, definitely cheap' question.  Same with Altima's and the Intrepid's already mentioned, just 'bigger sedan' version of the same.  I don't really want to own any of these but I don't think they're that bad and they do have redeeming qualities.  Especially the Altima with it's seemingly unkillable nature.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/23 6:09 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

No matter how bad a car is, someone, somewhere likes it.

Corollary:  No matter how good a car is, a whole lot of people hate it.

I agree strongly with this statement. 

Even so, you guys have definitely come up with some stinkers that probably don't have too many fans.

I always thought the Yugo was the ultimate POS car, but then I started frequenting this place and discovered that even it has its fans.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/23/23 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

You know, they came from the factory with that dent in the rear quarter.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/23/23 6:45 p.m.

Juke

wae
wae PowerDork
7/23/23 6:57 p.m.

What about that weird Murano convertible thing?

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/23/23 7:03 p.m.

I'm going to nominate the VW 411/412.

Nobody liked them then... and really nobody likes them now.  In today's market when anything air-cooled is hotter than a firecracker, these cars remain by-and-large unloved.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/23 7:12 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
WillG80 said:

Aztec?

Yes. They should have been thrown in a dumpster.

If y'all are gonna bad mouth GMs most revolutionary vehicle in decades at least spell it the wrong way like GM did. I like the Pontiac Aztek, it was ahead of its time and has aged gracefully compared to just about every other GM product from the Bush administration. I'd argue it was the first crossover and better looking than 80% of the SUV/CUVs on the road today. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/23 7:13 p.m.

BiTurbo

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/23/23 7:19 p.m.

I did an hour long commute in a Chevette for four years and never had a single problem with it. My buddy won a mini stock championship in one and the shop he worked for used them as their delivery vehicles. It was not out of the ordinary for them to get more than 500,000km out of one. 
If I found a clean 2dr that was fairly priced I'd probably buy it and do something entertaining under the hood 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
7/23/23 7:33 p.m.
SV reX said:

Friends don't let friends drive Versas. 

I was going to make some comment about how I can usually find something redeeming with almost any car but yes, Versas, no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Azteks however, there's potential there 

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3wIhOP9DVswZ71ZdkSP0GqLqcSUjXjH1t1iPuRDDbZ6WuVJu8NzknnHgM7lXnnO