1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/24/23 11:14 a.m.
bludroptop said:

I'm going to nominate the VW 411/412.

Nobody liked them then... and really nobody likes them now.  In today's market when anything air-cooled is hotter than a firecracker, these cars remain by-and-large unloved.

I can think of an auto journalist who owns one and likes it.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/24/23 11:17 a.m.

I have a hard time believing that the new BMWs that are styled after basking sharks have much appeal, but I guess it is too soon to tell. Never underestimate the bad taste of the buying public.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 11:19 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

I'm going to go with the Dodge Stratus.

The one we had was so bad at 70K miles, It needed all the accessories replaced, both hubs, and would just randomly die. It left the fleet when it died on me on the interstate at 80. Almost got rear ended and barely made it to the shoulder. 

Can't see too much love for that thing. 

Whereas I know someone who has a first-gen Stratus with a manual trans.  She loves it and has put almost 500,000 miles on it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Don't you mean "B" 210...........the 210 had coil spring rear suspension vs the B210 leaf spring.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 11:31 a.m.
Duke said:
Trent said:
Peabody said:
Duke said:

Second-gen AMC Matador.

Once again, we agree. One of the ugliest and most grossly out of proportion cars ever built. 

Why has the Altima not been mentioned yet?

The Matador coupe is almost cute compared to the Matador sedan

That thing has zero redeeming features 

Except that it's actually car shaped, has normal proportions, and is a functional sedan.  It's dull, yes, but it's not actively hideous.

It's the nose.  And there is a story behind that nose.  This was the original car.

AMC found that, if the car were six inches longer, it would be in a different EPA classification with much easier emissions targets.  So, faced with either making the engines cleaner or the car bigger, they made the car bigger.   And to make the car bigger, they could either change a bunch of unibody stampings, fenders, trim, etc... or they could make the bumper, grille, and hood stick out, and keep the unibody, fenders, etc.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/24/23 11:45 a.m.

Admittedly, that's a pretty great reason from AMC to do that, but damn did it make the Ambassador an Ugmo. Also I can't count the Dodge Caliber, because I have known people who appriciated it for being "an car" enough for them and their needs.

In reply to Toyman! :

I forgot about yours! She's beautiful. There's something about 210s that makes me wanna Mad Max one, I think it's the rear hatch angle.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 11:46 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Don't you mean "B" 210...........the 210 had coil spring rear suspension vs the B210 leaf spring.

Rear coil springs would have been a godsend after fighting to fit 1500 leaf springs and axle in the back.

They pretty much look the same to me. 

B210  '72-'78

Cheap Wheels: 1974-78 Datsun B-210 Hatchback | The Daily Drive | Consumer  Guide®

210  '78-'82

Time capsule '81 Datsun 210 sells for nearly $12,000 in Las Vegas | Hemmings

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/24/23 11:50 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
Dodge Caliber.

I rented one of those Dodges in automatic trim once.  It was single handedly the ugliest guttless piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of driving.  (and my first car was a 2.8-V6 powered Automatic Cimarron so that's saying something.)

Along the lines of the Caliber, it's platform mates: the 1st Gen Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot. 

Not only are these based on the Caliber, they drive just as terrible, if not worse! I know a few people that had these heaps and they suffered similar fates: they would randomly shut down while driving and completely lock up. This was due to electrical issues in most cases; the power to the car just disappears. The awful CVT plus AWD meant that when this happened, moving the dead hulk became difficult. One guy I work with had it happen on the driveway into the work parking lot. Thing wouldn't shift into neutral had to get dragged away. Meanwhile, no one could get into the parking lot! I can't imagine there are many fans of these things. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/24/23 11:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:
racerfink said:

Juke

I came here to say this. Every other car here at least hd sone redeeming value. This does not. 

The Juke was available with a turbo 4 cylinder and a manual. I can think of a lot worse cars.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/24/23 12:08 p.m.

I drove past a Murano convertible that was parked on the street last week. Kinda unicorn status.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/24/23 12:09 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

However, I bet the number of people who really love the Bustleback Sevilles is vanishingly small. An example with the LF9 diesel is just about the worst car I can possibly imagine.

Like a dog pooping on the lawn.

Runner up is anything else powered by the Oldsmobile 350 Deisel.

The 350 diesels have their fans and not that I'd buy one, but the Seville looked much better in silver than darker colors. 

I'll see your Bustleback Seville and raise that with an Aeroback:

Not only offered by Olds, but Buick had the Century with the aeroback as well. 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/24/23 12:14 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

I don't think basking shark when I see those, I think Beaver:

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/24/23 12:39 p.m.

Oooh!

The Beluga whale looking infinity SUV's

Every time I see one on the road I gag a little bit

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 12:46 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
bobzilla said:
racerfink said:

Juke

I came here to say this. Every other car here at least hd sone redeeming value. This does not. 

The Juke was available with a turbo 4 cylinder and a manual. I can think of a lot worse cars.

I can't think of any that look more like a roadkill frog, though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 12:52 p.m.
No Time said:
AMiataCalledSteve said:

However, I bet the number of people who really love the Bustleback Sevilles is vanishingly small. An example with the LF9 diesel is just about the worst car I can possibly imagine.

Like a dog pooping on the lawn.

I'll see your Bustleback Seville and raise that with an Aeroback:

The Aerobacks were... unlovely.  But at least they didn't look pre-buttberked like those second-gen Sevilles.

I hated the first generation Seville because of that squared-off roofline, but in actuality they have aged decently well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/24/23 12:52 p.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:
bobzilla said:
racerfink said:

Juke

It's a truck, it is allowed to be ugly.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 12:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:
bobzilla said:
racerfink said:

Juke

It's a truck, it is allowed to be ugly.

1)  That's not true.  Utilitarian, maybe.  But not ugly.

2)  In what universe is the Juke a truck?!

wae
wae PowerDork
7/24/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

We have a friend who just got rid of her Patriot.  Until it bit the dust - the CVT died, believe it or not! - she loved it.

Every ugly baby's got a momma who loves him, I guess.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
7/24/23 1:06 p.m.

Can't really think of a single car on this list without at least some redeeming qualities.

Even the much-hated Murano Cross-Cabriolet is actually OK - its a convertible SUV.  If you want one, its pretty slim pickings.  And its weird enough that they are cool.

I can think of a few that no one in their right mind should like.

• Toyota Echo
  • Regular-ass Murano
  • Altima
  • Dodge Journey
  • Colorado/Canyon/Ranger/Any other midsize truck besides Tacoma

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/24/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

The Tacoma seats are sooooo bad though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 1:14 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

• Altima

This is actually a very decent car for doing regular car things.  And it will do them for a long time if you avoid the CVT models:

It's the stereotypical owner that is the problem, not the car.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/24/23 1:15 p.m.

Going to vote for Tempo / Topaz here. Unreliable, slow, and the AWD system was fragile, wouldn't work on dry pavement, and the car didn't have the ground clearance of an AMC Eagle. With automatic shoulder belts to boot. The one good thing I can say is that the styling was merely boring instead of actively offensive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/24/23 1:17 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Can't really think of a single car on this list without at least some redeeming qualities.

Even the much-hated Murano Cross-Cabriolet is actually OK - its a convertible SUV.  If you want one, its pretty slim pickings.  And its weird enough that they are cool.

• Toyota Echo

There are Echo/Tercel enthusiasts on this very forum smiley. They handle well enough, or are at least not so poorly designed that standard suspension theory doesn't apply to them, and apparently Prius engines are a source of cheap hop-up parts, if you don't want to just hang a turbo on it.

• Altima

The first generation Altimas were good stuff.  Probably the cheapest place to find a KA24DE anymore, too!

• Dodge Journey

Annually bringing you a chassis designed in the late 80s by Mitsubishi.  Not good, but not terrible.

• Colorado/Canyon/Ranger/Any other midsize truck besides Tacoma

Some of us don't like hideously expensive to repair vehicles that rust audibly.  Which of course does not endorse the Colorado or Canyon, either.  But the I beam Ranger was probably the best small truck ever sold in the US.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 1:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Some of us don't like hideously expensive to repair vehicles that rust audibly.  Which of course does not endorse the Colorado or Canyon, either.  But the I beam Ranger was probably the best small truck ever sold in the US.

Having owned both down here in the land of no rust, the Colorado is hands down the best small truck. Add price into the consideration and it beats the Tacoma as well. 

This one is at 330k miles now. Original engine, original trans. The kid I sold it to just had to put an alternator on it. Outstanding little truck. 

20190112_113538.jpg

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 1:54 p.m.
Toyman! said:

They pretty much look the same to me. 

B210  '72-'78

Cheap Wheels: 1974-78 Datsun B-210 Hatchback | The Daily Drive | Consumer  Guide®

210  '78-'82

Time capsule '81 Datsun 210 sells for nearly $12,000 in Las Vegas | Hemmings

The B210 is in keeping with Datsun's mid to late 70s sea creature styling cues.

The 210 is very early 80s Tron movie styling..........all it needed to be perfect was a Tandy computer on the dash.

As for fitting the leafs.............I have a 510 wagon axle in the back of the 1200; after much mixing of spring perches and hammering the rear fender lip everything fits.

I take a B210 or 210 hatch but I'm a known Nissan A-Series aficionado.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mmTPCkw2BB6DVQVznoKZd0xnFEfrxzPWoZvnYbLROv6KFAVfj872uV7361Wpyqjh