1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Either the B210 or the 210 is an order of magnitude better than the F10.

My high school buddy's mother traded their '76 Rabbit stripper on an '81 +/-  F10. The F10 was worse in every way, and awful looking to boot.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

If the F10 was fitted with an automatic transmission it was most certainly loathsome to drive. The A12-15s need to be revved.

In stock guise the 1200, B210, 210s and F10s are not great. Fitted with the oval port cylinder head, some sway bars, wider tires and decent dampers they are fun.

The 1200 is at best a cute car; it took me a long time to warm up to the styling and it's the best looking of the bunch.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

No, both the Rabbit and the F10 had manuals.  I believe both were 4-speeds as well.

Around the same time my father bought the first small (or foreign) car he had ever owned to date, an '81 Civic 1500 DX with a 5-speed manual.  It was so much better than the F10 it wasn't funny.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/24/23 3:12 p.m.
No Time said:
AMiataCalledSteve said:

However, I bet the number of people who really love the Bustleback Sevilles is vanishingly small. An example with the LF9 diesel is just about the worst car I can possibly imagine.

Like a dog pooping on the lawn.

Runner up is anything else powered by the Oldsmobile 350 Deisel.

The 350 diesels have their fans and not that I'd buy one, but the Seville looked much better in silver than darker colors. 

I'll see your Bustleback Seville and raise that with an Aeroback:

Not only offered by Olds, but Buick had the Century with the aeroback as well. 

BLASPHEMY!!!

The Olds and Buick Aeroback/Slantbacks are so cool! Well, some of them are, namely the 442 and Century Turbo Coupe. Oh man! 

BONUS: With all that extra Sir Mix-A-Lot Approved badonk out back, you can toss a FWD Toronado 455 drivetrain in there and build your own mid-engine Oldsmorarri out of one, like this guy did! 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 4:03 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

No, both the Rabbit and the F10 had manuals.  I believe both were 4-speeds as well.

Around the same time my father bought the first small (or foreign) car he had ever owned to date, an '81 Civic 1500 DX with a 5-speed manual.  It was so much better than the F10 it wasn't funny.

The Civic was more refined but they also had  CVCC engine which is a technological marvel I've always hated.  The Civics needed more care and feeding.

I've owned this generation of Civic but disliked how it wanted to be driven in a certain manner; I also hated the way certain things were laid out on the car.............I felt various bits were needlessly complicated. I'm also aware that's how they got the refinement. The steering was E36 M3 though...........and mine was meticulously maintained.

The Datsun would tolerate monumental abuse and that's why I like them............no doubt they are crude but the steering was good.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 4:16 p.m.

As time has gone on I've come to like prewar American convertibles the most but still not a domestic car fan.

I still view American cars as big bloated things (60s & 70s) or unreliable malaise era abominations. Not that this is accurate but it's just engrained in my subconscious.

Muscle cars were always slow fat and ill handling to me because I was comparing them to motorcycles; which isn't a valid comparison. 

Note I do like the AMX.......I'd have one of those.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Hrrrm.  We put a quarter million miles on that Civic with very little beyond routine maintenance, except a clutch or maybe 2.  And that includes 17-year-old me rolling it over and generally hooning it like an idiot.  It finally rusted away.

Maybe it was just because my other cars at the time were either a 30-year-old Deere tractor or late-'60s Pontiacs, but I loved the way that little Civic drove.  Much later, my '95 Neon ACR would remind me of that same boisterous, terrier attitude.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/24/23 5:06 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Nissan Murano convertible 

Datsun F10

I would totally rock an F10 if I could find a clean one and had the warehouse space to park it.  But this is purely out of nostalgia as my father bought one new in 1978 and I spent a lot of time in that car. It was also the first manual transmission car I tried to drive. That dog-leg shift pattern was brutal for a beginner.

I don't know that any car is universally disliked. There will always be that odd duck who has to be contrarian. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
7/24/23 5:15 p.m.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/24/23 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

The Datsun would survive zero routine maintenance the Civics not so much. The CVCC pre-chamber valves could gum up and get stuck open..............I got deals on two of them because of this. The three barrel carb if adjusted per the manual would leave you with a car that didn't like the throttle booted at low RPM; if you made it a tad richer it had way better throttle response but you lost about two miles per gallon around town.

The Civic did roll down the highway wonderfully; especially for such a small car.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/24/23 5:35 p.m.

I figured all of these cars had too many of them made to be hated by everyone so I went looking for a review for a Daihatsu Charade. The first review I found was from someone that bought one as a beater and decided to try to keep it forever.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/24/23 5:49 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Ahh yes, the Daewoo Lasagna.

I mean... Leganza. 

Mmmm.... Lasagna.... 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/24/23 5:58 p.m.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/24/23 5:59 p.m.

It was time^devil

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/23 6:17 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I'll vote the Saturn L300.  The larger, Saturn sedan ( a rebadged Opel) and  specifically the 3.0L V6 version that shared the engine with the Catera.

Not a bad looking sedan when new though generally non- descript that did not age well.  The wagon...cooler.  The 4cyl versions...more reliable.  

Good call. So far under the radar, it took me five pages to realize you'd already posted it.

Before we bought the Mazda 5, there was a very clean, low-mileage LW300 advertised here for the kind of bargain price that just makes you feel dirty. Chrome factory alloys, with awful grey-blue metallic paint outside and acres of that inescapable nougat-colored GM plastic on the inside. V6 car. It was, on paper, a real bargain, and a totally viable family car. And somehow I could not close the browser tab fast enough.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/24/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I'll agree that the special models did look better, and the spoiler made a hide difference in the appearance. 

What's really interesting about this thread, is that no matter what model someone posted, there seems to be at least one person that disagrees  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 6:37 p.m.

I liked the Saturn L300.  Would like to say it was called the LS2 before Lexus had a snitfit.  (LS/LS1/LS2 became L100/L200/L300?)  It was a front wheel drive Catera with a nicer interior but more road noise.

I did a lot of control arm bushings and oil coolers on them at the dealership.  Later, I had one that somehow stopped putting oil to the heads, which we discovered after I replaced the lifters - twice - and THEN we decided to check oil pressure.  I made external oil feed lines that went from passage plugs in the block to passage plugs in the heads, and we lost a ton of money on the deal, and I am convinced that it was all because his buddy who did the oil change right before it started poked the plastic wrap on the filter with his finger and left some plastic inside the cartridge, which then plugged the main oil gallery.

edit:  Just to clarify, I liked Cateras too.  And Merkur Scorpios.  I still kinda want a Scorpio but they were hard to get parts for in 1996.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/24/23 9:35 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

We are all weirdos here. That totally tracks. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/24/23 9:42 p.m.

Guy at work totally loves his Murano CrossCabriolet, which he proudly proclaims to anyone who will listen, so that one is off the table.

The problem with listing crappy cars is invariably someone likes them just because they were so known for crappiness, like the Yugo. So you need a boring, unassuming, middle of the road car that just completely fails to arouse any emotion.

A buddy had a 4 cylinder Malibu in school. I drove it a few times. it's not a hateful car, but I doubt anyone really liked them. Bland, forgettable, and only marginally reliable.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/24/23 10:14 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Ahh yes, the Daewoo Lasagna.

I mean... Leganza. 

Mmmm.... Lasagna.... 

I think this is the most legit answer to the original question.  WHO loves that garbage?

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/24/23 10:44 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Smart cars were beloved by my last ENT who loved that she could park it literally anywhere. 

I was visiting a local small town hospital. The parking lot had some pretty cool doctor cars Jag F type, sporty Merc, etc. At the front door there was a smart car parked on the sidewalk. The plate read "smartdoc".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 11:18 p.m.
No Time said:
AMiataCalledSteve said:

However, I bet the number of people who really love the Bustleback Sevilles is vanishingly small. An example with the LF9 diesel is just about the worst car I can possibly imagine.

Like a dog pooping on the lawn.

Runner up is anything else powered by the Oldsmobile 350 Deisel.

The 350 diesels have their fans and not that I'd buy one, but the Seville looked much better in silver than darker colors. 

I'll see your Bustleback Seville and raise that with an Aeroback:

Not only offered by Olds, but Buick had the Century with the aeroback as well. 

My parents had an Aeroback Cutlass when I was in high school with the 305. It's the car I (officially) learned to drive in, and V8 RWD taught me how to power slide in Canadian winters. It may not have been pretty, but it did the job. I took it skiing, windsurfing, piled my friends into it. When they sold it, their mechanic bought it. The thing lived forever. 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/24/23 11:29 p.m.

One that seems to get very little attention, even on here is the Fuego, but I'm sure one of you is stockpiling them:

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/23 11:31 p.m.

How about the USPS Ford-Utilimaster FFV?

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE (USPS) FFV | Navymailman | Flickr

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/24/23 11:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My grandparents had a Century aeroback in white with a light blue vinyl top and interior. Even though it was garaged it's whole life and didn't see a lot of miles, the rear subframe rotted away while the body looked good. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YGmjWuTR9YCQp1HaMx85Jm0QKBYXVj6NTtTO5qrQd9Gnlv2Z9yVACgqwM24QYruU