1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I know the rear bumper rusted off ours after maybe a decade and a half of Canadian winters. But it held up as well as any American car from the late 70s!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/23 12:22 a.m.

Stock rx8?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/25/23 1:13 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

There are more than a few freaks here that apparently lust over them. They've never driven one. They make you question God.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 1:48 a.m.
gearheadE30 said:

Guy at work totally loves his Murano CrossCabriolet, which he proudly proclaims to anyone who will listen, so that one is off the table.

The problem with listing crappy cars is invariably someone likes them just because they were so known for crappiness, like the Yugo.

When they were newish, there were enthusiasts who liked Yugos for their nimbleness, and would filter in Fiat parts to replace the crappy Zastava parts as they broke, which didn't take long.  I could swear that I'd seen an X1/9 engine in a Yugo once or twice, and something in my mind suggests a twin cam too.

So you need a boring, unassuming, middle of the road car that just completely fails to arouse any emotion.

A buddy had a 4 cylinder Malibu in school. I drove it a few times. it's not a hateful car, but I doubt anyone really liked them. Bland, forgettable, and only marginally reliable.

I've always thought this would make the perfect rally car.  Strut suspension is simple and easy to upgrade, can be converted to manual fairly easily, 65cm rally tires fit the wheelwells perfectly (almost exactly the same size tire as stock) so you can run other peoples' takeoffs, plenty of room inside for a roll cage without being a giant tank, and if you needed parts out in the middle of nowhere, well.... it's a Malibu, they make zillions of them and they were common everywhere.

pigfarmer
pigfarmer New Reader
7/25/23 6:41 a.m.

My hatred for this vehicle made me join this forum just so I could post a picture of this steaming pile of innovation. I've felt the need to insult this thing in public for some time and only just found this thread.

They bought up scads of these things for fleet use, base models that don't even have a spare. Ask me how I know. A concrete statue fell off a landscaper's trailer @ 75 mph early one morning in a busy commute corridor. The HHR took it right in the snoot and it wiped out my front tire. I took 'er into the chute (off ramp) at high speed and got it into a parking lot. Whew. Had to unload all my **** in the rain to get to the spare only to find a big nothing, a totally empty hole. Not even a Post-It that says 'chump.' I was later told they saved almost $100 per unit by eliminating them. Excellent planning for people who are out and about all over The Earth at any time of the day or night. 

Hideous to behold, an insult to my eyeballs. Underpowered, zero traction and here's the best part - they put cage and shelf kits in these things like they did every other truck I had. Necessary so your tools don't kill you in case of an accident. But, the guy that did it is likely only five feet tall and was picked on his whole life because of it so he put the steel barrier where he liked them. If you're a foot and change taller than that, ooooofta. I spent too much time admiring my kneecaps in this thing. This ain't a truck and you can't work out of it.

But, in a city environment where it gets banged and slammed and generally beaten like a rented mule every day it may have found its true purpose in life: to be destroyed. You have to hand the vehicle and keys over to the attendant when using the parking garages and you always wonder what'll happen next. I used to look forward to them losing it or breaking it but they never did - it just came back smelling of weed sometimes.

The grass it's on had DEW on it and when I went to move the truck later it was stuck. Because of dew. Well, who ever encounters that ? God, it's giving me a headache right now just looking at it ....

pigfarmer
pigfarmer New Reader
7/25/23 6:44 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The Honey Beast. Perfection. You and a buddy or two can pick them up and move them around.

Tech Wiki - B210 Honey Bee | Datsun, Nissan, Datsun car

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/23 8:43 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Stock rx8?

Nope, love mine.

Dropped my kids off at school, took the car seats out right there in the paddock, ran four 20-minute sessions, ate lunch, and picked the kids back up.  All I changed were my clothes.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/23 9:09 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Stock rx8?

Nope, love mine.

Dropped my kids off at school, took the car seats out right there in the paddock, ran four 20-minute sessions, ate lunch, and picked the kids back up.  All I changed were my clothes.

I liked mine too actually.  There just aren't any left!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/25/23 9:50 a.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:
bobzilla said:
racerfink said:

Juke

I came here to say this. Every other car here at least hd sone redeeming value. This does not. 

The Juke was available with a turbo 4 cylinder and a manual. I can think of a lot worse cars.

I can't think of any that look more like a roadkill frog, though.

True but I'd still rather have it then a lot of cars mentioned in this thread.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 9:52 a.m.

Y'all still haven't posted anything I wouldn't drive. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/25/23 9:57 a.m.

In reply to pigfarmer :

Damn, the HHR MIGHT be the car. Because like, last night at the car wash there was a dude who was keeping his Altima *mint* because it was the first new car he's ever owned, and even the Malibu's are perfectly fine appliances. None of them actually risk the driver, which the HHR does because it's blind spots are so huge. There's also the fact that it's just trying to copy off of the PT cruiser instead of being it's own unique design.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/25/23 10:16 a.m.
No Time said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My grandparents had a Century aeroback in white with a light blue vinyl top and interior. Even though it was garaged it's whole life and didn't see a lot of miles, the rear subframe rotted away while the body looked good. 

IIRC, they had aluminum rear bumper mounts, so galvanic corrosion did its thing.  Had a Cutlass Salon as a kid and one of my sister's friends thought it would be funny to jump on the already sagging bumper. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/25/23 10:30 a.m.

In reply to pigfarmer :

Getting stuck on dewy grass is probably more a function of cheap tires than anything else. At least the HHR had an SS version (MY '09 only), so I bet there's someone out there that likes them

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/25/23 10:35 a.m.
calteg said:

In reply to pigfarmer :

At least the HHR had an SS version (MY '09 only), so I bet there's someone out there that likes them

There's someone on this forum that likes them.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/25/23 10:46 a.m.
Duke said:
calteg said:

In reply to pigfarmer :

At least the HHR had an SS version (MY '09 only), so I bet there's someone out there that likes them

Didn't they even have it available in the panel van?

Been in one HHR, and hated it for its utter lack of outward visibility.  It even stood out among other GM cars of the time, which was impressive.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/23 10:52 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:
calteg said:

In reply to pigfarmer :

Didn't they even have it available in the panel van?

Been in one HHR, and hated it for its utter lack of outward visibility.  It even stood out among other GM cars of the time, which was impressive.

I see one on my commute to work every once in awhile. LED tail lights, HID projector retrofit, lowered, wheels, tint, some light sticker action. I think it even has a lip kit or something. It's not terrible looking, but certainly not pretty.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
7/25/23 12:25 p.m.

In the same vein as the Lasagna, someone in my parent's neighborhood had one of these Kia Amantis which always reminded me of a Merc on meth. Kia has certainly come a long way but not sure if there are fans of this...

2005 Kia Amanti Exterior: 0

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/25/23 1:06 p.m.
68TR250 said:

Pontiac Aztec.

That was my first thought, but somebody will adore it for the tent attachment you could get with it.  

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/23 1:23 p.m.
Appleseed said:

There are more than a few freaks here that apparently lust over them. They've never driven one. They make you question God.

Then how about the Grumman LLV?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/25/23 1:47 p.m.

1981 Cadillac el dorado with the 4300 ht.

I traded 3/4 a pack of Marlboro for one i drove home and overpaid

edit: 82, 4100ht. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/25/23 2:14 p.m.

Same difference.

pigfarmer
pigfarmer New Reader
7/25/23 2:53 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

'vans' as I remember them stopped being vans a while ago and are now sensible work vehicles - panel vans I suppose. That HHR added up to be a bigger p.i.t.a overall than virtually ALL of the other ones I had combined over a 32 year period. It won the prize, that one did. I would have paid money to push the button on the compactor it probably wound up in.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 6:05 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Forgot about the Chevette." They are hateful in every way, and anyone who denies it needs mental health care." I got mad just remembering that POS but since you said that I feel better.

I knew a girl in school who had a Chevette. I had way more fun driving it than I had with her, but that was at least partly my own fault. 

I'd willingly own a Chevette though. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/25/23 6:46 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Forgot about the Chevette." They are hateful in every way, and anyone who denies it needs mental health care." I got mad just remembering that POS but since you said that I feel better.

I knew a girl in school who had a Chevette. I had way more fun driving it than I had with her, but that was at least partly my own fault. 

I'd willingly own a Chevette though. 

I learned to drive a manual transmission on a florescent green Chevette. It's been a while but a as I recall the trans was kinda sloppy but easy to find a gear, any gear and a clutch that went right to the floor. Like it or not I am forever bonded to Chevette's for that reason. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/23 7:10 p.m.

My ex wife had a first gen Taurus ML-5. That's right a Taurus 4cyl with a 5 speed. Who new? I hated that car. It totally screamed cheap ass rental/fleet car. Not surprisingly her dad loved it.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4tsJyMfcgqnMgHOPYkITuvT59M7LY9F07R8pznCWrS7ty61bTiYuU9guwfRP01O