1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/3/19 1:23 p.m.

poopshovel again
11/3/19 1:28 p.m.

Took the kids out to AMP today just to hang & score some free take-offs.

97 Legends Cars with drivers from 7(?) different countries?

Back when Mama & I used to hit the dirt track for a cheap date night, these were my favorite things to watch. I've never seem them on a road-course, and HOLY E36 M3, IT WAS AWESOME!!! If you think a spec piñata start sounds like a swarm of angry bees....

I haven't had a race-car-chubby in a while, but I'm seriously considering a budget-build on one of these.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/3/19 2:11 p.m.

You should see them doing an Hillclimb. laugh

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/3/19 2:20 p.m.

I want to DD one. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/3/19 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

With a berkeley body on it?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/3/19 2:24 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I want to DD one. 

Put an old Subaru 360 van body on it.

All the cool kids are doing it! 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/3/19 2:30 p.m.
RossD said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Yes.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/3/19 3:41 p.m.

I've been on a road course with Legend cars (during a practice session, I was in a Spec Racer.)  Those guys drove as though they were in a Roman chariot race...they beat on each other, the only thing missing was them having whips, or spikes on their wheels.  smiley

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/3/19 4:14 p.m.
RossD said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I'm not picky. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
11/3/19 5:37 p.m.

Quite a few of these run at Hallett, and it looks like a blast. From what I understand, if you race the Legend series there are VINs for the chassis, and the engine has to stay sealed. So if you decide to join, be diligent in making sure the chassis or engine is registered and legal for the class. Some try to sell not legal stuff as if it will be capable of running with the pack. I've looked into it a bit myself, but don't quite have the time to dedicate to it yet.

mw
mw Dork
11/3/19 5:59 p.m.

I have a dwarf car which is similar in shape and size. The dwarf rules are much more open though and you can use better engines. Both are lots of fun to drive. I built my dwarf chassis from scratch following the dwarf car rule book. You can't do that with a legend. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/3/19 6:46 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Quite a few of these run at Hallett, and it looks like a blast. 

That was where I saw them.  If I remember correctly there's a bunch of them that come up from Texas.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/3/19 7:00 p.m.

I too a Legends Car race school with my brother and they were awesome. After that I looked into where they were classed in SCCA Autocross and was surprised to learn they were in BMod. That's crazy so I wrote a letter to the SCCA requesting a reclass into FMod and they agreed. Maybe they are uncompetitive in FMod but they have a much better chance than in BMod.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
11/3/19 7:48 p.m.

Not to be a nag, but I have seen some horrible Legends car crashes on ovals when I was on an E-Mod crew. They aren't the safest things out there. Fine for autocross though.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
11/3/19 10:08 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I want to DD one. 

Seconded. So bad. To tide me over till I build an ultima RS. 

poopshovel again
11/4/19 6:03 a.m.

I should not have looked

The only concern is I don't see anyone saying whether or not they've converted to the FZ09. At that price I kinda doubt it.

poopshovel again
11/4/19 6:09 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I want to DD one. 

OMG YASS

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
11/4/19 7:03 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Regardless of class, don't buy a championship winning racecar, they are worn out. Buy a seldom driven back marker that has not been crashed, somebody's pet.

morello159
morello159 Reader
11/4/19 7:41 a.m.

Saw some video from the race at AMP. I too remember seeing these at our local 1/2 mile roundy round track growing up (Altamont raceway for anyone who knows the history of that place). I had no idea they did road courses in these - I wonder if I could fit in one. 

Thunder roadsters are a similar concept but slightly bigger. They also have a fairly large following in the southeast. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/19 8:02 a.m.

They used to run them on the ice in the coliseum. That was a glorious sound. A whole lot of sideways as well.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/19 8:15 a.m.

Dude I used to work with is big time into these things. He's a nationally competitive dirt oval racer and seems to have a pretty good side business going fixing bent and wrecked chassis's for people (they do seem to get wrecked with some frequency.) 

I've been trying to talk him into setting up one for right turns and bringing it out to an auto x for several years now. So far we haven't been able to make it happen yet. 

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/19 3:15 p.m.

I bought a thunder roadster this fall quick and tons of fun with the 1250 Yamaha we are going to road race it at a CACC sanctioned track next year   it's going to be a long winter

waiting

PS a Thunder roadster is a long wheel base Legends car

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/19 3:17 p.m.

Just a thought any one out there have a hyabusa for sale just need the motor

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
11/4/19 3:23 p.m.

In Australia they have the Aussie racing cars which are influenced by the legends cars. They started with older Australian body styles but now use modern body styles. Instead of the fj1200 engines they use fj1300 engines.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
11/4/19 3:34 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

In Australia they have the Aussie racing cars which are influenced by the legends cars. They started with older Australian body styles but now use modern body styles. Instead of the fj1200 engines they use fj1300 engines.

Holy crap, Spec penny racer!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hhu8qdsSFUZ4PHSWZUUcwW0ojeByRXBaBsHrWf1gbCY8mocbXCvv8WmcdXxV3Mju