1 2 3 4 5 6
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
11/26/12 6:38 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: These guys are into slammed cars, does not make them wrong, just into different things.
I mean if their information is wrong, they're wrong. It's one thing to say, "I like small breasts." It's another to say, "I like small breasts because they can't get breast cancer."

Usually, I'm one of the folks saying, "..it's his car..", but this is a good point. If this stuff is leading to accidents (revisit the Russian vid), this guy's copycats need some real information. It's one thing to build something like that and treat it like the show car it is, but IMO, it's quite another to think you could drive something like that just like any other vehicle. And potentially dangerous to folks who think '..slammed would beat stock around tsukuba..'.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/26/12 6:41 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
fidelity101 wrote:
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: Totally Bro
Makes me wanna give up on rally, sell all my gear and just be a snowboard bum or possibly knitting...
Talked to a guy who pitted next to him at a rally out west this summer. He had a single open trailer and Block had two semis. Turns out Block was really nice. And huge. But nice. His crew was awesome as well and when Block didn't break the car and they had spare time, they rewired the intercom in my friends car just for something to do. The whole conversation made me want to rally even more.

Yeah I've met him too at a few rallys, he is nice. But I hate photos like this and every photo of him and every interview, makes us American's look like spastic douchers, especially on the world rally scene. That friendlyness of helping your competitors out is part of the rally atmosphere, even trickless down to our grassroot rallyX communities.

If I was to meet him at a pub as a regular person say Kennith Blocken I'm sure we would get a long great. Also just super jealous of his pocket book to pursue his hobby, if I had known I would design shoes to do what he is doing I would be running a sweatshop in China right meow.

Eurobeaner
Eurobeaner New Reader
11/26/12 7:52 p.m.

Sheesh. "Causing accidents". Idiots cause accidents. Period. Idiot in a civic, idiot in a $50k car.

I happen to be kinda "part" of the scene I guess. My fit is a little low, with low offset wheels and skinny tires. (Not stretched horribly). I just liked the look. I wanted a daily that I was happy to walk out of the store and go "dang. That's my car. YES". And mine does. I've done the auto x thing. Had a ST setup civic si. It was fun. But the car was mostly worthless outside of the track. Too loud, too low, too stiff. My car isn't good on the track, but its dead quiet (stock exhaust), way softer than my race setup, though it is indeed still low. I daily it and have no problems on Indiana roads. Speed bumps I take slow... Duh, it's lower. Smart not to damage my car.

I am currently in the process of building a race car. 1972 n600. 1000cc engine, rwd, 13x8's. full cage/tube frame. That will satisfy my desire to have weekend fun. Cause it sure isn't happening in the slow as hell fit. Lol

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/26/12 8:01 p.m.

I know we're all hyper-sensitive to it, but I think you have idiots in every scene: cars, music, baseball, etc. I figure who am I to judge.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/26/12 8:18 p.m.
  1. Ken Block is a SUPER nice guy. I sat across from him at a Rally America season ending banquet, and I had a short conversation in Spanish with his co-driver Alex Gelsomino, and he is even nicer!

2. If you think automotive enthusiast stupidity is limited to the hellaflush gang, you are sorely mistaken. This Thread, found on the oft lauded PelicanParts BBS forum for Porsche enthusiasts is filled with absolutely laughable "data". It is amazing how ill informed some "armchair mechanics" are.

Such gems as the following certainly stick out to me as idiotic.

Some idiot said: I don't see how bigger rotors/more piston calipers will get you any more braking power, considering the engine is stock.
Another idiot said: I, too, can't see how improving the brakes on a NA 944 would make a difference, because IMHO these brakes are the best there is.

Oh really?

Idiot #1 said: You certainly do not NEED more braking power, you cannot use more braking power unless the car's engine is significantly modified, and by that I mean at least 30-40% increase in engine power.
King Moron said: 100mph is 100mph, but the 100 may be 120 for a 944t with the M030 pack, which I think is S4 brakes. The 100 for your 944 may be 95 from using torque to acelate the rotors.

Granted, the thread is a super zombie thread from 10 years ago, but it's my go-to thread when I need a good laugh.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
11/26/12 8:25 p.m.

The kids these days sure are weird...

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/26/12 8:29 p.m.

Watch this. And see if it doesn't change your mind about Ken Block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2c7Pp7H0Q

I don't like the flat brimmers, or the dude bro they represent but to me that's more about the fact that the company he started has those people for customers and he would be an idiot to not market to them. Just because he does so, doesn't make him a dude bro

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/12 8:45 p.m.

I don;t understand the term "flat brimmer" when I used to wear baseball caps.. I never bent the brim down around the sides of my face.. nor did any of my friends.. that always seemed. "redneckish"

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/26/12 9:39 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I don;t understand the term "flat brimmer" when I used to wear baseball caps.. I never bent the brim down around the sides of my face.. nor did any of my friends.. that always seemed. "redneckish"

i used to wear my Suicidal Tendencies hat with the brim flipped up so everyone could read the word "Suicidal"- we even got all hats banned from our school. i've still got 2 of them somewhere. they were just regular baseball caps back then, only with the word painted under the brim. they were designed to fit the contour of your head and naturally wanted to lay down around your face...

we were trying to look like this guy- Cyco Mike Muir:

so, yeah, i'm guilty of wearing a stupid looking hat as a kid, but at least we were smart enough to use the hat to keep our long hair out of our faces back then, and a simple flip down made them into functional devices to keep the sun out of our eyes... but these flat brim hats of today are just silly looking- they are wider than a regular hat and meant to be worn a little sideways with the brim just poking out all stupid looking.. and, yes, i do realize that they are both fashion statements that started out in the same counterculture- skaters.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/12 10:08 p.m.

I didn't realize the brims were wider than they were 30 years ago. Guess I need to take a harder look at them.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/26/12 10:15 p.m.

They really aren't any wider. What you're seeing is a move towards a baseball fit hat as opposed to a low pro or "normal" hat. Try on a New Era 5950 sometime, you'll see what I mean. They sit lower and are more formed to the head, to give that wider appearance. It's all that fit my fat head.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/26/12 10:19 p.m.

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
11/26/12 10:31 p.m.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
11/26/12 10:33 p.m.

Snobbery is lame.

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
11/26/12 10:44 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Snobbery is lame.

So are busted oilpans haha

But if you have to go stance might as well go big or go home!

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
11/27/12 12:03 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Snobbery is lame.

You know, I was just about to post a long-winded rant on here, and this .gif summed it up better than I could've.

Well played, sir.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/27/12 1:25 a.m.
mndsm wrote: They really aren't any wider. What you're seeing is a move towards a baseball fit hat as opposed to a low pro or "normal" hat. Try on a New Era 5950 sometime, you'll see what I mean. They sit lower and are more formed to the head, to give that wider appearance. It's all that fit my fat head.

the brims are wider- much wider. the Monster hat that my nephew wears has a brim that is about 1.5" wider than the Summit Racing hat that's on my head right now- which makes it look really goofy considering that it's on a fitted hat that fits on a 12 year old that's built more like a 9 year old..

at least his parents keep his hair cut in a nice buzz cut instead of letting him grow out a mop like all of his motocross buddies..

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/27/12 7:52 a.m.

Weird suspension / wheel / tire fads come and go. Remember when this was the thing to do to your car?

Or creating massive oversteer by running steel wheels up front with tall sidewalls, and low profile tires on the back on big inch rims, in a confused parody of how drag racers set up their wheels?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
11/27/12 8:01 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: Totally Bro
Makes me wanna give up on rally, sell all my gear and just be a snowboard bum or possibly knitting...

whew thats nice of you... thanks for volunteering to leave the automotive enthusiast world...we need less haters around. Let me know when you find nirvana where everyone else thinks and acts the same as you. Please take as many other hatertards as possible with you on your way out.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/27/12 8:57 a.m.

Hella Fail:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2612/hella-fail.aspx

And self-clearancing axles:

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/27/12 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

Wow. Are those the bolts holding the subframe to the chassis?

Welp...

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/12 9:08 a.m.

Million dollar idea- Invent go/no go gauge for hat bills and sell it at Goodguys car shows to old guys

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/12 9:12 a.m.

My mom told me that back in the early 70s she had a boyfriend that would stick flat rocks in the rear coil springs of his car to get the raked look that was so popular at the time. Just seemed an appropriate story for these kids today.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/27/12 9:13 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I don't mind the kid doing the video. He should realize that he was setting himself up for criticism just by posting it though. Is the car modded the way I'd like ? No, but then I'm old enough to be his father , or maybe grandfather (that hurt) and I have very different tastes. I'm not into lowriders, or hellaflush, or jacked up trucks ,or any number of other vehicle styles, but IT'S NOT MY CAR. It's his and he's allowed to do what ever he wants to it. I've modded my cars over the years and used lowering springs, coil overs, sway bars etc. to suit my tastes and purposes at the time. If the young man is a car enthusiast he will go through several different styles/phases throughout his life. Good for him. The car habit is alive and well .

Right. Like i said, i don't like the car, but my main problem is with the absolutely ridiculous comments/discussion on the youtube page itself.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/27/12 9:18 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: In reply to Sky_Render: Wow. Are those the bolts holding the subframe to the chassis? Welp...

Yes. Well, they WERE the bolts holding the subframe to the chassis.

I don't mind weird automotive fads. But don't do crap that is patently unsafe and then drive it on the road.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
edk7IMk9oyilQYenkR1KGnRcuDw9LqyB0hzfy1JApArJwGLApZpk4zK2w7c7nInW