1 2
ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/13 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku and logdog:

I don't know about en masse, but in ~2 years we will swap the WRX for a long term, saner car. It will be a wagon or wagon-equivalent (the pickings are so crap for smallish boxes that a small SUV may be required), with an emphasis on fuel economy and related technology (we don't put enough daily miles on for it to matter much, but we want to be counted as part of the market that wants more efficient vehicles).

It's looking a lot like we're going to wind up with a VW TDI, which I will feel like an idiot for buying as the terror of VW quality grips me. At this point, the only 'out' appears to be the Mazda CX-5, especially if it gets the skyactiv-d engine.

Appealing to a premium market? Apart from vehicle spec, don't make your car's name a cutesy-marketing-hip misspelling of a real word. By the time your marketing consultant notices that 'z' is how the kidz are doing it these days, you're only going to look stupid to young buyers and embarrass "adults"...

Stopping here before I embarrass myself further by making any more specific recommendations about how other people do their jobs...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/13 12:31 p.m.

I'm a little confused, I just read an article that says it is anticipated to get 42 MPG on the highway. That's good and all, but comparable to the Cruze Eco, which is far cheaper. With diesel being far more expensive than gasoline around here, it just doesn't make much sense from a financial perspective. The torque should be impressive, and I'm thrilled to see more diesel cars and SUVs coming the the US, but I don't think this one is going to do well from a sales perspective.

In terms of price point, at $25K the Prius makes more sense from a cost per mile perspective.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/8/13 12:41 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: I'm a little confused, I just read an article that says it is anticipated to get 42 MPG on the highway. That's good and all, but comparable to the Cruze Eco, which is far cheaper. With diesel being far more expensive than gasoline around here, it just doesn't make much sense from a financial perspective. The torque should be impressive, and I'm thrilled to see more diesel cars and SUVs coming the the US, but I don't think this one is going to do well from a sales perspective. In terms of price point, at $25K the Prius makes more sense from a cost per mile perspective.

Isn't 42 or 43mpg the EPA numbers on a TDi? Those get 50 without so much of a worry of minding your manners to get good MPG. What really needs to happen, besides I also believe this is an end run to get the required CAFE numbers in the future, is a "green vehicle" rebate and as much as I hate government intrusion, it looks like the only way of getting more diesels driving down the roads besides big rigs.

Oh and as far as the ECO, it doesn't come close to getting 42MPG around these parts, maybe in Kansas it is possible. My buddy's RS Cruze gets 32-ish on a rated 38mpg around here on his 90-mile one way commute to work.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/8/13 1:02 p.m.

At first $25k seemed batE36 M3 crazy, but the cheapest TDI, the Jetta starts at $23k.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/13 2:21 p.m.

A base ECO can be had for $20.5K before manufacturer or dealer discounts. The diesel is $24,885, or $4,400 more. Let's assume the base ECO gets 5 MPG less on the highway than it's EPA rating and the diesel matches its EPA rating. Regular gas (which the ECO takes) is $3.89 today in my town, diesel is $4.33 at the same station. Assume 15K highway per year (national average).

The fuel cost for the ECO is $1577 for the year, the diesel is $1546. At an annual $31 difference in fuel costs, the diesel would pay for itself in 143 years, ignoring the time value of money by putting out the extra $4400 day one.

In the same comparison against the diesel, the Prius fuel costs are $330 a year less than the diesel, and it costs $700 less ($24,200 starting). The more the driving mix moves towards mixed or city driving, the Prius would blow away both Cruze's.

Now most people don't make their car decisions purely from a financial standpoint. However, those that are looking at hybrids, diesels, special economical models, etc. likely have fuel economy and finances in mind when they're purchasing a vehicle. And when you look at that demographic, I'd say that GM has an uphill battle on their hands. I hope I'm wrong and they come out with a 6spd, it gets 50 MPG highway, etc. but odds are it won't sell well. I don't see many people cross-shopping the TDI and the Cruze and ending up with the Cruze...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/13 2:24 p.m.

"Premium compact car with the most expensive engine option is only available with an automatic and full options."

In other news, you can't buy a manual transmission, cloth interior, manual windows Lincoln.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
2/8/13 8:50 p.m.

I had a rental Cruz td tne last time I was in Germany. "Meh" is the best adjective I can think of for it. Maybe it would have been better with a manual, but a dsg Jetta tdi would run circles around it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXqSUEhk9lVPP8PXJv4BNNrPVaMtGTm7wAjfUYKZFXpYzoO0NARVaOyt71Yan2qS