Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/27/20 1:47 p.m.

Ok, so my last task on my ITB setup is building an airbox:

I have decided to go with this orientation for the air horns...though I will have to cut apart and re-clock 4 of the remaining air horns to match these 2, that should be an easy task)

I am thinking this general shape and size for the airbox(dictated by the shock tower brace obviously, as well as the fact that the rear passenger air horn is only about 2.5" away from said shock tower brace in this orientation).

There are several things to keep in mind here:

1. The top of the air box in the center is going to be probably 2" above the hood...necessitating a hood scoop...I would prefer to go scoopless...but it is what it is...and classic mustangs have a lot of different scoops available(or hoods rather since I don't have one yet)

2. I oriented the horns pointing backward thinking that if I have to have a hood scoop...I might as well go with a cowl hood and possibly take advantage of the air entering the engine at the top and back of the engine bay....the other option is to turn them forward...if I go forward, I can gain more clearance from the shock tower brace and end with a smaller box if that matters.

3. I am open to material choice to fab this thing from. I have some aluminum sheet that might be acceptable...but I was actually considering building the entire thing out of plexiglass or polycarbonate(might as well show off the setup right?). The biggest advantage of those 2 materials(aside from being transparent) is that a heat gun will make it easy to add bends and curves wherever I need(the corners of the box could then flow gently downward with no obvious creases. Other materials are fiberglass and/or carbon fiber, etc.

4. The functional aspects of the box need to include a single filter for the thing(a simple flat rectangular filter like many OEM applications could easily draw cool air from the cowl area) and....most importantly...integration of a MAF sensor...meaning that whatever air intake opening I use needs to be small enough to get a good MAF signal from the sensor(I havent chosen a sensor yet, so if there is one ideal for larger openings let me know)

So I am looking for any suggestions or advice that will help with this project.

possibly something like this(with the round neck centered instead of offset) mounted up in the cowl feeding down into the airbox?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/20 2:26 p.m.

I don't have much to add, but I say choose hood first.

Thunderbolt?

Wrong year, but you get the gist.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/20 1:21 a.m.

I wish I had useful advice to dispense, but I'm just here to see how this turns out. I have ITB trumpets in need of an airbox and filtration, and I haven't pulled the trigger on sheet aluminum fabrication yet because I've been wondering if'n I could make something in a clear material that would show it off, but wasn't confident enough to proceed.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/28/20 12:46 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

Honestly, plexiglass(or polycarbonate) is easier to fabricate than aluminum. For something like an airbox you would want polycarbonate though since it takes 300 degrees(F) to start softening it up. In the end I think I will probably end up with a fiberglass box with a removable polycarbonate top. This allows me to use styrofoam to easily make a plug in the shape of the box(styrofoam is nice necause a hot wire knife easily cuts and shapes it...and once you lay up the fiberglass around it, you can pour acetone in, melt the styrofoam and wash it out(just dont light the resulting napalm on fire...lol). A composite box(whether fiberglass, carbon fiber or plastic of some type...or some combination thereof) is also lighter and more insulating than sheet metal.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/28/20 2:54 p.m.

And now I am tempted to buy an extra set of M5 air horns just to have several different lengths to play around with to see which works best.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/29/20 12:57 p.m.

My templating for the airbox continues. This is simply so I can get a couple templates(top and front) for the styrofoam I plan to make the plug out of and to give me a visual on how everything will work

It looks like I will be able to get away with a hood scoop somewhere between 2" and 3" by the time the airbox is done

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gyi0DDEEpZzB5ntMEUSn9GFJi1p8x9fenwD5qaeaVNkPGYMTTM4UvZYJpWMwyCbM