1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/9/15 10:59 a.m.

I think you and i are onto the same thing, but i'd be looking for more like an "80% build" of that, a little more track focused.

I think we have the same thing here, except i don't know that i'd take the time to swap subframes, i'd run hardtop only, and i'd prefer bucket seats over NB2s.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/15 11:09 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Oh wow, that wood grain in the interior is *hideous*. I would go NB for sure. I've had one of each. NB sounds a lot closer to what you want to begin with. Any overlap there is with your stuff... just sell parts to increase budget. Off to google this GE Nighthawk business Keith mentioned. My NB (03) headlights seem like the were 10 gazillion times better than my NA. Edit: Just found Keith's thread on them. Dat light ... and unfortunately Dat price

To be honest, I was just trying to show the different shapes of the interior with nearly matching colors, I wouldn't go with the wood interior.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/9/15 11:21 a.m.

I only like the NB interior in all black. Our MSM got an immediate update to black HVAC panel, and i was planning on swapping out the gauges, console trim, and eyeball vent rings if the car stuck around.

I'm unsure how i feel about the NA interior in black/tan. My 93 has a black/tan interior swapped in, and i don't hate it, but i'm not sure it would feel right for what i'm after. Would maybe fit better with Keith's plan. I only like 94-97 in all black.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
1/9/15 11:32 a.m.

I think an NB is the answer. They are much nicer cars, the down side is the smaller feeling interior and extra weight. But the ease of fitting big boy tires and coming with the better engines already installed make up for it. There's been some decent looking NBs popping up fro NA money recently. Ultimately I'd really like to sell the wrx and pick up some cheap POS mazda or saturn to winter daily and pick of a decent NB to put I/H/E/MS, a roll bar, seats, harness, permanently bolted on hard top (fast back would be out of budget initially), big brakes, radiator, oil cooler, move the xidas to it from the racecar and put penskes on the racecar, and run my 15x9 6uls with rs3s on it as a summer daily and car that can be driven to and from track days.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/15 11:43 a.m.

All the dashboards look better in black, IMO.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/13/15 1:51 p.m.
Leafy wrote: I think an NB is the answer. They are much nicer cars, the down side is the smaller feeling interior and extra weight. But the ease of fitting big boy tires and coming with the better engines already installed make up for it. There's been some decent looking NBs popping up fro NA money recently. Ultimately I'd really like to sell the wrx and pick up some cheap POS mazda or saturn to winter daily and pick of a decent NB to put I/H/E/MS, a roll bar, seats, harness, permanently bolted on hard top (fast back would be out of budget initially), big brakes, radiator, oil cooler, move the xidas to it from the racecar and put penskes on the racecar, and run my 15x9 6uls with rs3s on it as a summer daily and car that can be driven to and from track days.

I think this is the key right now... NB1s in particular don't seem to be any more expensive than an NA.

If this all goes to plan, i'm dragging home a scruffy 2000 SE this weekend.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/13/15 2:59 p.m.
Leafy wrote: pick up some cheap POS mazda

I have one if you are interested... Already has 15x9 6ULs and RS3s (and 90% STR prep).

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/13/15 3:07 p.m.

Keith (or anyone), do you have a picture of a NB1 next to an NB2? I assume my '99 is an NB1?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/13/15 4:42 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Keith (or anyone), do you have a picture of a NB1 next to an NB2? I assume my '99 is an NB1?

99-00 is NB1, 01-05 is NB2.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/13/15 5:30 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Leafy wrote: pick up some cheap POS mazda
I have one if you are interested... Already has 15x9 6ULs and RS3s (and 90% STR prep).

Details?

maj75
maj75 Reader
1/14/15 12:19 p.m.

I've had a 4 NA Miata and one NB. I prefer the NA and specifically, 90-93.

My dream involved ITB on the 1.6, but I'm a Luddite and Megasquirt + wiring was beyond my abilities. A man's got to know his limitations. I also looked at some kits that used motorcycle carbs to the same effect. I've been off Miata.net for a few years, but there used to be a bunch of guys with the same idea over there. I just love the sound of four throttle bodies (or carbs) wailing.

ITB or go home. That's what I was hoping to see from the NA part of the title. Somebody building a Naturally Aspirated miata that uses the original motor and not an LSx motor

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/14/15 12:27 p.m.

What about some kind of full-tilt drag build with a narrowed Ford 8.8 out back and a serious straight-line suspension under the thing. Gut everything like weight owes you money. Seriously built F2T backed by a Powerglide or A-904 or something like that. Call it "The Dragtop" and go chase Nova's down at the strip.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
1/14/15 12:30 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What about some kind of full-tilt drag build with a narrowed Ford 8.8 out back and a serious straight-line suspension under the thing. Gut everything like weight owes you money. Seriously built F2T backed by a Powerglide or A-904 or something like that. Call it "The Dragtop" and go chase Nova's down at the strip.

I think he already has a car picked out for a completely stupid way too much power F motor based build.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 12:33 p.m.
maj75 wrote: I've had a 4 NA Miata and one NB. I prefer the NA and specifically, 90-93. My dream involved ITB on the 1.6, but I'm a Luddite and Megasquirt + wiring was beyond my abilities. A man's got to know his limitations. I also looked at some kits that used motorcycle carbs to the same effect. I've been off Miata.net for a few years, but there used to be a bunch of guys with the same idea over there. I just love the sound of four throttle bodies (or carbs) wailing. ITB or go home. That's what I was hoping to see from the NA part of the title. Somebody building a Naturally Aspirated miata that uses the original motor and not an LSx motor

If the car sticks around long-term, i'm not against potentially adding ITBs for funsies later. A motor swap is not in the future for this, so have no fear, it will stay Miata-powered.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 12:33 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What about some kind of full-tilt drag build with a narrowed Ford 8.8 out back and a serious straight-line suspension under the thing. Gut everything like weight owes you money. Seriously built F2T backed by a Powerglide or A-904 or something like that. Call it "The Dragtop" and go chase Nova's down at the strip.

What Leafy said. I have a blue 93 Miata i've had for awhile that i've slowly and quietly been sourcing parts for.

Ford 8.8 vs Getrag rear end = whichever one has the OS Giken diff available. If both, then whichever is lighter.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/14/15 12:36 p.m.

2300lb and 500hp, in the quarter, is 9's. I'm just saying.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/14/15 12:43 p.m.

If this goes like the "not a Cherokee" thread you'll end up with a red MSM with a LS engine.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 12:54 p.m.
pres589 wrote: 2300lb and 500hp, in the quarter, is 9's. I'm just saying.

Your weight is too high, and the power too low. I'm just saying.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 12:54 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: If this goes like the "not a Cherokee" thread you'll end up with a red MSM with a LS engine.

Oh god. If that happens, just put me out of my misery.

Keith Tanner
1/14/15 1:11 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
maj75 wrote: I've had a 4 NA Miata and one NB. I prefer the NA and specifically, 90-93. My dream involved ITB on the 1.6, but I'm a Luddite and Megasquirt + wiring was beyond my abilities. A man's got to know his limitations. I also looked at some kits that used motorcycle carbs to the same effect. I've been off Miata.net for a few years, but there used to be a bunch of guys with the same idea over there. I just love the sound of four throttle bodies (or carbs) wailing. ITB or go home. That's what I was hoping to see from the NA part of the title. Somebody building a Naturally Aspirated miata that uses the original motor and not an LSx motor
If the car sticks around long-term, i'm not against potentially adding ITBs for funsies later. A motor swap is not in the future for this, so have no fear, it will stay Miata-powered.

ITBS ON A HIGH COMPRESSION STREET MIATA AREN'T A GOOD IDEA. THEY'RE REALLY REALLY LOUD. HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER. FUN FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES THEN REALLY ANNOYING.

I actually failed sound at Laguna Seca due to intake noise on mine.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/14/15 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

And you thought I meant IRS when I suggested an 8.8. Plus I figure a full cage and such and included driver weight. If you can get this thing below 2300 and hook and be decently reliable then you'd really have something to crow about.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 2:19 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: And you thought I meant IRS when I suggested an 8.8. Plus I figure a full cage and such and included driver weight. If you can get this thing below 2300 and hook and be decently reliable then you'd really have something to crow about.

If i want to run around with my shoes tied together, i'll buy a Mustang.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 2:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
ITBS ON A HIGH COMPRESSION STREET MIATA AREN'T A GOOD IDEA. THEY'RE REALLY REALLY LOUD. HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER. FUN FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES THEN REALLY ANNOYING. I actually failed sound at Laguna Seca due to intake noise on mine.

Eh. I'm building a 12.5:1 ITB KL. KLs are much much much louder than BPs.

Keith Tanner
1/14/15 2:27 p.m.

Building is not the same as "have driven". Seriously, it's a hair shirt. Internet fanbois will drool over your filterless velocity stacks but you'll learn to hate driving it if you do more than use it for blasts around with the top down.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/15 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I don't do "top down," I only roll hardtop. I've spent some time in some itb miatas. No big deal.

That's far down the road anyways. Not really planning on doing it, it's just an idea.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
22nZne9BsC1AuzuDRHpgqhm5Obm4vCY22WjlWdyaXy68d1I0ULU91ObDSzzeimb2