1 2
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/28/15 10:14 p.m.

Someone needs to start a racing series with real cars instead of their same, stupid, sanitized, stickered crap -mobiles

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/cool-video-ride-along-in-a-vintage-1963-pontiac-bonneville-stock-car-at-hickory-motor-speedway/

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
1/28/15 11:00 p.m.

I'd love to see a real car racing series. My favorite racing was always the real showroom stock cars, like World Challenge of years ago. The more a series gets away from street cars, the more I lose interest. I don't see how people feel connected to race cars that share nothing but a badge to the car in their driveway. I also don't see what the manufactures get out of it.

Here is my ideal race series. Real cars, available to Joe Public for under $30k, raced with nothing more than safety equipment added. Bring back win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
1/28/15 11:31 p.m.

Dont they have a stock type car of racing? Its called crapcan is it not?

LoneWolf
LoneWolf New Reader
1/29/15 1:38 a.m.

Better than crapcan, way cheaper than Showroom Stock...presenting 2K Cup. Buy a car for no more than $2000, no more than 2000cc, no newer than year 2000. Very limited mods allowed, the intention is for the car to be reasonably close to standard. www.2kcup.com www.2kcupsi.co.nz <--sorry it's in New Zealand

https://www.facebook.com/2kcupsi

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/29/15 1:54 a.m.

NASCAR also owns and operates an entire race series that uses production based cars in road course endurance races.. if stock car racing isn't your thing- or if you just don't understand the concept of a "stock car" or where they came from and why they are the way they are- then look into that.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/29/15 6:22 a.m.

http://www.americanenduranceracing.com/

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/29/15 7:04 a.m.

I like series like the Continental Tire series because the cars are far more stock appearing. I have no problem with the construction of the current NASCAR vehicles, I just would like to see them hung with much more stock exteriors. A Ford should look like a Ford, a Chevy like a Chevy, etc.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/29/15 7:10 a.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote: I'd love to see a real car racing series. My favorite racing was always the real showroom stock cars, like World Challenge of years ago. The more a series gets away from street cars, the more I lose interest. I don't see how people feel connected to race cars that share nothing but a badge to the car in their driveway. I also don't see what the manufactures get out of it. Here is my ideal race series. Real cars, available to Joe Public for under $30k, raced with nothing more than safety equipment added. Bring back win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

This would be nearly impossible. First off, even crapcan cars get upgraded brakes, wheels, and tires. Next, even in series where they try to keep stuff close to stock you have a lot of dealing with the sanctioning body to try and keep things level between cars. This usually works out as "I'll trade you 1 psi of max boost pressure for 50lbs off of my car," or, "I keep breaking second gear, so I would like to be allowed to use aftermarket bits in my transmission." Auto manufacturers do get involved in this haggling sometimes.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/29/15 7:33 a.m.

add to pushrod36 … I've seen/heard of chump car builds that rival IT builds .. in the $20-25,000 range … lemons .. not so much, but even there some of the builds are way up there $$$ wise

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/29/15 9:50 a.m.

Want to race your strictly stock car ? Well except for the tires. AMEC (www.icerace.com) has a Street Legal class. With 4 classes.

Street studded (Hakka 7/8 spec) 2wd and 4wd

Studded 2wd

Non studded 2wd

Alphadawg
Alphadawg New Reader
1/29/15 10:11 a.m.

In reply to pushrod36:

Seems like NASCAR used to use "real" cars. If certain parts are not up to snuff, make them better ....

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/29/15 10:26 a.m.

In reply to iceracer:How often does ice racing occur in Daytona, etc.? How often does ice racing appear on major TV in prime time? It sounds like you need to start an ice racing thread.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/29/15 10:46 a.m.

I watched the first couple laps of the video in the linked article and was bored. The sounds were nice, but I figure the rest of the laps were just about the same as the first two. I would like to go to that race in person for the sights, sounds and smells and just to see the older cars out there being used, but the video is not really interesting to me much at all. Go fast, slow down, turn left, go fast, slow down, turn left, go fast.....and eventually a checkered flag is waved, but probably only after a yellow flag or two.

I would maybe be more interested in NASCAR if they used actual cars as the starting point for their racecars, but they would still just be driving around in a circle.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
1/29/15 10:53 a.m.

Does Trans-Am racing somewhat fit the mold? Specifically the TA3 class.

I'd be all for more air-time for the Continental and Pirelli racing, I far prefer that over NASCAR.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/29/15 11:05 a.m.

Does Grand Am, BTCC, etc not do it for you? You get everything from VW Golfs to Vettes to everything in between. Mustangs, Camaros, M3s, 911s, Cobalts... it's all there.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/29/15 11:39 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Does Grand Am, BTCC, etc not do it for you? You get everything from VW Golfs to Vettes to everything in between. Mustangs, Camaros, M3s, 911s, Cobalts... it's all there.

someone just wanted to start a "this is why NASCAR sucks" thread since there hasn't been one for a while.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/29/15 11:47 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Oh, well, carry on then. Harley sucks too!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/29/15 12:04 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Oh, well, carry on then. Harley sucks too!

loud pipes … whether Harley or not … there, have we covered them all ?

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/29/15 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Alphadawg:

I agree with you, but this is exactly the problem. Parts are improved as needed and sooner or later everyone has tube chassis cars with headlight stickers on a composite body.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/29/15 12:37 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Oh, well, carry on then. Harley sucks too!
loud pipes … whether Harley or not … there, have we covered them all ?

Yeah, I think that about covers it. Maybe except for street racing. If we expand this out a bit to include non-ranty topics we could also toss in shaving and Ken Block videos.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
1/29/15 1:45 p.m.

Put me down in the "too similar to each other and too far from reality" camp on the topic of Nascar. I'd much prefer it if the cars being run had more in common with the cars being sold under the same name.

If all you sell are V-6 slushboxes then you should have to race them as well. But remove the silly antiquarians restrictions that the race cars have and let manufacturers improve the actual breed in pursuit of faster cars on Sunday.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/29/15 1:47 p.m.

The speed, sound and spectacular crashes (or lack thereof) of a more street-based series would render such a series unpopular among the general public. Most non-car-enthusiast racing fans I know like Nascar for the sounds, the sights and a party atmosphere. Not sure you could get that with a more stock-based format these day, unless you made it a series of Challenger, Camaro, Mustang or Vette, Viper and Ford's upcoming GT. I would enjoy a stock-based series, but would allow foreign makes and unlimited mods on a stock-block (engine block must be available in that model) and there must be an homologation run of street cars. Never going to happen, but I can dream.

Also, run them on ovals, road course, I don't care. Just no tube-frame/silhouette cars. Also, no changing of front-wheel, rear-wheel or AWD from how the street model is offered.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
1/29/15 2:23 p.m.

Oh, I suspect the speeds and spectacular crashes would be there if you cranked a FWD V6 up to 900 hp.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
1/29/15 3:41 p.m.

So we hate every sanctioned racing series then?
Because every sanctioned production based racecar is modified in some fashion, if only for safety.

Hate F1?
Hate Indycar?
Hate WRC?

Pro racing is SHOW BUSINESS.
(Emphasis on BUSINESS)

ACTING!
Genius!
Thank You!

(With apologies to "Master Thesbian")

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
1/29/15 4:18 p.m.

Other than true British Rally Crossing, I'd like to see this here. (Credit goes to Wally for posting this a while ago.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSh17PkOHE

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5iu6DwShUpcDL4mWOIc0PU5b8YtrdStU9rneQ8fbNwW4WnlvZa4CgHhnFT0iW823