1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/23 6:29 p.m.
Will said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I definitely looked for a manual ATS, but saw fewer than five for sale in 2-3 years of searching. None were local and I've been burned too often on fly and buys to take a chance. And that also makes me wonder about manual-specific parts availability in years to come.

Seriously, drive a manual transmission 2.0 or 2.5 turbo anything and you will hate the manual option.  I want to like it but it's that bad.

The nicest thing I can say is that it will automatically release the electronic parking brake for you when you drive off from a stop.  That is a very nice feature.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/23 7:49 a.m.

Only at GRM do we sing the praises of "new" car quality after buying a 7 year old car underpinned by a 10 year old platform wink

Congrats, that's a sweet ride!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/23 8:33 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Only at GRM do we sing the praises of "new" car quality after buying a 7 year old car underpinned by a 10 year old platform wink

Congrats, that's a sweet ride!

That is interesting. The whole concept of new when  talking about cars.  I drove a 2005 911 about a week ago. It was in perfect condition with extremely low millage. Less than 10k.  It was heated and cooled garage kept. It was in perfect condition. It for all intensive purposes it was in new condition. New tires had been put on it for safety. That was it. It was not a new car. It was 18 years old.  But to me it was new.  It also felt like a well apointed Toyota when street driving it. I am sure on track it would come alive. My new to me M5 is from the same owner. It is 15 years old also low millage. The car looks and feels like a brand new 2008 M5.  But it is not new. It is 15 years old.   My 2012 Merc is not new. It is getting up there in the millage (about 170k) and is showing ware on the interior finishes.  It is a well worn (extremely well maintained) car. But technology wise is way ahead of the 911 and the M5.

What I am wrestling with is the definition of new versus modern. The 911 I drove was not a modern car but it was for all intensive purposes a new car while my Merc is not new. It is well used but it is much more modern technology wise. I think most people when they say new really mean technologically current or is it the feel of a very low millage car no matter how old age wise it is.  Or both?  It is an interesting thing. This thread had me thinking about what I consider a new car to be.  

Will
Will UberDork
12/12/23 11:50 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I did specifically title the thread "newer" instead of "new," kind of for this reason.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/23 10:21 p.m.

I try to never buy older than what I currently have. It's now a (mostly) rule of mine. It's probably more relevant the older I get: I LIKE to be comfortable!

Also, since they went to just letter/number designations I have zero idea of Cadillac size and platforms and what they mean (what a STUPID idea...) but there were three mfg-plated turbo 4 AWD CT4s running around a dirt RallyCross a couple months ago and they were respectable! Along with those and a mfg Lexus coupe and a mfg AWD Maxima, I have a newfound appreciation for what newer cars can put up with now. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/13/23 6:10 a.m.

How many of you (also) went and did a search on AutoTempest? GRM power of suggestion LOL. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/23 3:25 p.m.

Newer cars do have some advantages but I doubt I'll buy anything built after 2015 or so. That's where the nannies and useless gimmicks seem to take over.

30 mpg out of a 300+ hp GT car is amazing. My 2014 Mustang V6 comes to mind. Add to that, 20 mpg in the city and almost 30 mpg on the highway from a 325-hp full-size truck. That's pretty good considering my last full-size truck averaged about 12 in town.  

Lane-keeping and adaptive cruise, not so much. My mother's 2020 Subaru is awful to drive. Dings, twitches, slamming on the brakes. It's like an endless panic attack by silicon wafers that drives me to distraction and motion sickness.  

200k-mile cars that drive like new are amazing. The same Mustang has 170k on it and drives like it just came off the showroom floor. The 100k truck I just bought is also like new. I can remember when 100k was about the life expectancy for a vehicle. 

Huge overly bright screens with 100s of options and digital buttons instead of discrete buttons, not so much. I just went from a 2014 VW to a 2009 GM. The GM is a better car in many ways. It has a dipstick to check the oil and transmission instead of navigating a menu or just ignoring it (the transmission) until something quits. The 2009 also doesn't threaten to leave me on the side of the road if I don't do what I'm told. I don't need endless options for button placement or lighting color. I don't need $700 variable speed HVAC blowers when $50 4 speeds will work just as well. Just build something simple and intuitive with buttons and knobs and leave it at that.  

So, while some of the whizbangs on new cars are pretty nice, I can do without most of them. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/13/23 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I kind of like the adaptive cruise. I say kinda only because the mustangs is horrible but unless someone cuts me off the explorers is great.

I'm  just glad I have forscan available to turn off or limit the nannies.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/23 5:26 p.m.

I have spent the past few days searching for an ATS sedan with 2.0/MT.  I know the engine is low revving and doesn't make sweet sounds, but there is plenty of aftermarket support for the little engine that could and a stick is tempting.

That being said a well maintained 3.6 would absolutely be on my radar.  Mid 5 second 0-60 times combined with comfy seats cant be argued with!  I need a sedan in order to pretend my kids can ride in it, though I realize the back seat is comical at best.

You appear to have found a really nice car and I openly admit the styling hits me "some kind of way" as the kids say haha.  Congratulations!!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

My Mustang doesn't have it. My only experience is with a F150 and a Subaru. Both of them were terrible. The Subaru was so terrible I didn't use the cruise at all for the 200 miles I drove the car. 

OHSCrifle
12/13/23 6:31 p.m.

We have a 22 subaru outback and I agree with Toyman about the nannies. The auto braking has taught me not to cut it so close  when a car in front of me should be turning more swiftly. The first time the car slammed on the brakes and the dashboard screamed, I was pissed.

I also don't think the auto steer with cruise is smooth enough. It seems to adjust itself in facets rather than a smooth arc. I turn that off but I do like the adaptive cruise. It's my first car with that and I have grown to like the "beep" that tells me it locked on to a new car in front of me. 

apologies for the threadjack®️. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/23 6:59 p.m.

A nanny indirectly almost got my family and I in deep pucky the other day. My wife's Subaru has a very good blind-spot warning light. I did a road trip with her and near the end got complacent enough that I stopped looking over my shoulder when changing lanes. There's a ton of buttons and switches on that thing and I had somehow accidentally turned off the warning light. You can see where this is going. No accident, but a very scary moment that wouldn't have happened in any of my of my older vehicles. 

OHSCrifle
12/13/23 9:19 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

A nanny indirectly almost got my family and I in deep pucky the other day. My wife's Subaru has a very good blind-spot warning light. I did a road trip with her and near the end got complacent enough that I stopped looking over my shoulder when changing lanes. There's a ton of buttons and switches on that thing and I had somehow accidentally turned off the warning light. You can see where this is going. No accident, but a very scary moment that wouldn't have happened in any of my of my older vehicles. 

Yes they definitely help but need to be considered "extra" not "primary". Same for backup cameras IMO. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/23 9:48 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

It's this odd in-between time where not all bathrooms have auto-faucets, but enough do that when you find an old one you'll stand there like an idiot waving your hands in front it for a few seconds. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
12/13/23 10:08 p.m.

The really intrusive safety nannies have become more common in the last five years. Toyota and Subaru are the worst in that regard. Most cars you can turn the nannies off, but some makes you have to do it every time you start the car. Most adaptive CC's work surprisingly well, but not all. 

I think the sweet spot for newer stuff without the safety nannies is probably about 2018 -2020. 

Will
Will UberDork
12/14/23 10:36 a.m.

I rented a new Corolla for about two weeks this year. It wasn't quite as intuitive as the ATS, and I specifically didn't care for the adaptive cruise. Even with the follow distance set to the smallest gap, it would brake harder than necessary instead of just ease off the gas, etc.

Fortunately, the ATS lets me choose between adaptive and regular cruise control.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/14/23 12:36 p.m.

As far as I can tell, all of the issues with the more modern assistance systems is how they are implemented and calibrated. 

I've had both horrible and great adaptive cruise systems. 

The other issue I've noted is the lack of things when they should be there. Like for cars that have start/stop- they should have one touch start. I've gotten so used to that and get really annoyed when the car doesn't start with an instant of key or button. 

But that's how many features become must items, too. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/23 10:40 p.m.

The ATS V6 never came with a manual from the factory, but I have to wonder if the Camaro V6 trans could be swapped in... The ATS could be had with a manual if you got the 2.0 so between the two all the parts should be there. I like the ATS styling and better visibility vs the same year Camaro. Here in the north a V6 RWD ATS is a tough find, most are AWD.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/15/23 1:09 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

That's interesting. I don't think my '23 BRZ has anyway to turn off the warning light on the side view mirrors. You can turn off the steering responsive headlights and the traction control though. 

But I did have to take it to the dealer to have them turn off the fake engine noise from a separate speaker inside the car. 

Will
Will UberDork
7/28/24 1:57 p.m.

Update: the Cadillac has been great so far. Only problem was a flat tire this past week, which persuaded me to accelerate my plans to install a set of wheels I had already picked up. They're ESR CR7s in 18x8.5 front & 18x9.5 rear with Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires in the stock sizes. Haven't put the center caps on yet because I'm waiting on some Cadillac emblems sized to fit the ESR caps.

Mattk
Mattk New Reader
7/28/24 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Will :

Those wheel look fantastic! 

Will
Will UberDork
8/5/24 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Mattk :

Thanks. The center caps came in. I wanted it to look at least semi-factory.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/5/24 9:15 p.m.

I was fine with the 2" x 3" backup camera in my 2013 F150 - until I drive a newer car...

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/24 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Will :

NO! I wouldn't spend my money that way, so you shouldn't enjoy it!

Sour grapes and unshakeable fears aside, that looks and sounds like a really nice car. Thanks for the update. First dates are great and all, but no substitute for knowing how things are holding up months or years later.

I'm still scared to death to spend money on anything approaching modern and/or upmarket. Evidently the rest of the world is not. Turns out it's okay to make our own choices. Who knew?

Will
Will UberDork
8/13/24 8:34 a.m.

Lowered it this weekend. Eibach coils w/factory replacement struts/shocks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GnRUEbypi0XT7t2Fqw4goZEHChgBAbHtBpiQD146kn8GunVdXNH3YTFESbdN6lKH