1 2
unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/22/12 10:00 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Waitadamnminute... Could... could... could i have 4wd 2jz?

THIS QUESTION NEEDS AN ANSWER!

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/12 11:33 a.m.
Vigo wrote: BTW, i have seen a bone stock 4.0/5spd/4wd Wrangler beat purpose-built trucks at the mud drags.. the one time i went.. I think a lot of off-roaders are doing their mods for the glory and dont actually realize that upping your power as fast as you up your tire is a losing race.

I doubt they were "bone" stock. 5 speeds have historically had the 3.07 ratio and they are DOGS. They either had the 4 cyl axles like you said or had been regeared. Stock to stock an auto XJ or Wrangler (at least 3.54 ratio) will crucify a 5 spd. DAMHIK

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/22/12 11:59 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Thought I did, 2JZ A340E bellhousing will bolt up to the Jeep AW4

unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/22/12 6:06 p.m.

But... but... what about an AX15, or another manual equivalent?

I'm having dirty thoughts about a highly-boosted 4WD XJ in a Lemons race.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/22/12 6:47 p.m.

R154 bellhousing will bolt to an AX15 but the AX15 input shaft is about a ½ inch too long. You could run a R151 but I'm not sure if you can use a AWD transfer case like the Jeep NP242.

J308
J308 Reader
2/22/12 7:13 p.m.

FYI, the Explorer 8.8 w/ LSD and discs is a common swap on XJs.

Get 'er done homie.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/22/12 9:38 p.m.
I doubt they were "bone" stock. 5 speeds have historically had the 3.07 ratio and they are DOGS. They either had the 4 cyl axles like you said or had been regeared. Stock to stock an auto XJ or Wrangler (at least 3.54 ratio) will crucify a 5 spd. DAMHIK

Keep in mind the existence of 4-LO. A stock wrangler easily has more power than traction in 4-lo on mud. The mud drags i went to were only ~400 ft long. I dont know what's normal for that kind of racing, though.

As for the 3.07s.. Yes, they are a bitch. I have been around a lot of Cherokees (ive owned 4), and while i agree the auto FEELS faster.. i dont think it is after about 50 mph. The 5speeds accelerate a better at highway speeds, 3rd gear vs 3rd gear, and 3rd gear goes to like 90mph with 3.07. Is that totally irrelevant to mud drags? ABSOLUTELY.

My friend has a stock 4.0/5spd/2wd cherokee. It ran 16.0@85 with 3.07s, open diff, 29" street tires and almost no drag racing experience. We swapped a 3.50 out of an auto into it and it got much quicker but it hasnt been back to the track yet. I honestly think a stock 4.0/5spd/2wd cherokee COULD be a low-15 truck in the 1/4 with JUST the mild 3.50 swap, but we have yet to PROVE it.

child9
child9
3/20/12 2:16 a.m.
unevolved wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Waitadamnminute... Could... could... could i have 4wd 2jz?
THIS QUESTION NEEDS AN ANSWER!

Yes, you can has a 4WD 2JZ...in at least two variants. 1. Modify a Toyota A340e using Jeep AW4 parts to allow the RWD Toyota A340e to plug into a transfer case, like the Jeep NP231.

1. Supposedly you can also use a Lexus 2JZ-GE Bellhousing and torque converter froma IS, GS, or SC300 in between the Jeep AW4 and the 2JZ.
oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/20/12 4:56 a.m.

If you were planning on using a Trooper bell-housing anyway, and worried about drivetrain in the Jeep why wouldn't you do the engine swap into a Trooper? They came with DOHC engines, so plenty of width in the engine bay, just a bit cramped on length, and plenty stout axles.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/14/22 4:01 p.m.

Anyone ever travel down this 2JZ in a Jeep path?  I've got a buddy getting rid of an N/A 2JZ complete with a standalone, and I've got a YJ with a 4.0 / AX15 / NP231 with too many leaks that I'm tired of chasing.  Thought would be to toss the 4.0, rebuild / update the AX15 to an external slave version, and keep the downstream drivetrain as-is, since I like it.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1rPKQ2XRYNWROhbblDB6rzCe33UEkFZzbvn1c6Lm2lDXngol3LS0VL78CXcw7AEc