ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/21/11 10:17 p.m.

My buddy drives a Jaguar X-Type 3.0 and it's been throwing P0171 and P0174 codes (System Too Lean Bank 1 and Bank 2). I had the same codes on my old E46 and for the Bimmer this meant that there was a leak causing unmetered air between the MAF and the throttle body. Does anybody here have experience with Jags of this era and can shed some lights on what these codes mean in a Jag of this era?

Looking at the engine, unlike my old Bimmer, there's only a short accordion hose between the MAF and the throttle body, is the this the one that's leaking?

Thanks all.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
1/22/11 1:26 p.m.

The IAC valve o-rings are known to leak, can you hear a vacuum leak coming from the passenger side of the engine? They're very easy to replace, cheap even (not just for a Jaguar, I mean cheap - actually I have an extra one if this is what it turns out to be) and a very common problem. Google IAC x-type o-ring.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/22/11 4:33 p.m.
chknhwk wrote: The IAC valve o-rings are known to leak, can you hear a vacuum leak coming from the passenger side of the engine? They're very easy to replace, cheap even (not just for a Jaguar, I mean cheap - actually I have an extra one if this is what it turns out to be) and a very common problem. Google IAC x-type o-ring.

Actually, I did hear some hissing sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I'll try to google it. Thanks.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/22/11 4:48 p.m.

Does this sound like the right diagnosis: http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jaguar-x-type-2004-jaguar-x-type-imt-valve ?

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
1/22/11 7:28 p.m.

That's it exactly. One of them can be removed completely and the other doesn't but the o-ring can be moved on and off with the IMT (sorry, had IAC on the brain) still in place.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
1/25/11 5:17 p.m.

Any updates?

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
1/25/11 7:07 p.m.

Could be an air leak anywhere past the MAF.

I had a Contour with the 2.5 Duratec (upon which that Jag engine is based) and chased those codes for a while. Took apart the whole upper intake and replaced gaskets throughout after cleaning everything up. (UIM gasket leaks were common). In the end, it was a broken vacuum tube that looked like a coffee stirrer. Would have been a simple fix if I had seen that first, but it was buried up by the firewall, and that is a cramped engine bay.

Since it's both banks you can narrow it down, sort of. You know it's part of the common intake path.

Hope that helps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WwrsU7hnUq7imGboUYvOygD1tinhJtEwWToE6W5Gm9P0xdwOoJmvYquVGIYKC2Qs