Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/18/10 10:30 p.m.

Hey guys,

I may have found the greatest ZAV for someone. There is a cool looking,but sort of rough around the edges 57 Jeep FC-150 for sale local to me that I just found. It has a big plow mounted on the front for pushing away Zombies wen they attack,and a custom bead on the back,but also comes with the stock bed as well. I didn't have my camera with me when I drove by it,but I will get some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested. The asking price is $2500,and the seller says there is loads of spare parts that come with it. I noticed the windshield was cracked,and I also think the rear window was as well. The rear may be easy to find,but the front one has some crazy curve to it,and may be tough to locate,but you could always just Mad Max it,and not worry about it.

Chris

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/18/10 11:47 p.m.

Aww hell, what's local?

I've always wanted an FC Jeep to go with my Gladiator.

Shawn

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/18/10 11:48 p.m.

Fantastic, you're at the other end of the country. Now I don't have to buy it.

Shawn

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/19/10 5:56 a.m.

For those who don't know what they're talking about, I present to you a face only a mother could love:

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/10 6:41 a.m.

When I was a kid, my uncle had two of them for plowing. I hated them then, but I'd love one now.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/19/10 7:25 a.m.

be sure to back down any steep hills. Back in the day they had a nasty habit of going over if driven down steep hills offroad. Kinda the same problem unimogs have.

boy do I want one though.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/19/10 7:36 a.m.

I saw a long wheelbase one with a 302 in it, spent the next few months looking for one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/10 8:16 a.m.

I seem to recall reading about these how some were set up for firedepartments as a vehicle you could drive INTO a burning building and then pump water... it did not take long for the firedepartments to realise the folly of that setup

Woody
9/19/10 12:23 p.m.
ignorant wrote: be sure to back down any steep hills. Back in the day they had a nasty habit of going over if driven down steep hills offroad. Kinda the same problem unimogs have. boy do I want one though.

Maybe you'd be more of an FC 170 guy.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/19/10 12:42 p.m.
Woody wrote:
ignorant wrote: be sure to back down any steep hills. Back in the day they had a nasty habit of going over if driven down steep hills offroad. Kinda the same problem unimogs have. boy do I want one though.
Maybe you'd be more of an FC 170 guy.

the wheelbase isn't the issue. It's the weight distribution. Used for wheeling they are super front heavy. If you go face first down a big hill and are not careful, you can put it over.

I love them and want one, but for proper offroad or truck stuff I'd rather have a unimog, fc101 landy, pinz or volvo c303. A FC jeep has pretty much the same running gear as a CJ of the same era. Yay t-90 trans in a truck... ugh!

Woody
9/19/10 12:49 p.m.

Who would even consider one of those for wheeling?!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/19/10 1:27 p.m.
Woody wrote: Who would even consider one of those for wheeling?!

The truck line was ended because of that reputation. well that and the fact that they came pre rusted from the factory. As an owner of an early cj5, I can tell you that rust was part of the aesthtic package coming straight out of Toledo.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/10 1:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: Who would even consider one of those for wheeling?!

I did when I saw it. It does say Jeep on it after all.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/19/10 3:00 p.m.

The 170 has the truck chassis. The smaller ones use the CJ chassis.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
9/19/10 5:35 p.m.

The 150 came with a big cast iron weight on the tail end of the frame to compensate the nose heavyness. The early ones with the narrow track were weird to drive. The later ones with the wider track weren't so bad. I would never want to put a snow plow on one.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/19/10 5:44 p.m.

so cool

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/19/10 7:27 p.m.

Woody
9/19/10 9:18 p.m.

I am now considering one of those for wheeling...

ignorant wrote: so cool
wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/20/10 7:35 a.m.

Have laways loved these. Next door neighbot had one growing up and a pal still uses a rusty one for plowing.

Here in the east, they seem to come in two varieties... rusty beyond the point of redemption (even out west!) or extremely expensive turn-key trucks. Rare to see much in between...

Bill

EricM
EricM Dork
9/20/10 4:37 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: For those who don't know what they're talking about, I present to you a face only a mother could love:

I have pictures of one of those built into a fire truck. It is in Talketna Alaska. When I get home and I am not too lazy I will post up the pics.

EricM
EricM Dork
9/20/10 4:45 p.m.

OK so I guess I have them on my work computer. I uploaded them to photobucket:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Woody
9/20/10 5:32 p.m.

More info: http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/siblings/fc.html

I remember a garage that had two tow trucks. One may have even been a 150.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/20/10 6:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: I am now considering one of those for wheeling...
ignorant wrote: so cool

nothing on that rig is stock, save the front cab...

That frame isn't close to stock.. Jeep frames of that vintage were flimsy as hell. Most of the articulation off road came from the frame flex.

A unimog could do that stock.

There used to be an all jeep junkyard in ferndale pa. Nothing over past 1980 vintage was allowed in this yard. They had a few of these trucks sitting there and some other very rare jeep items, such as stand up fj? milk trucks. I loved that place, but years ago it was sold due to the housing boom and rich folks not wanting to look down on a yard of rusted jeeps. All the jeeps went to the scrapper.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
42juUvjSkjnfcD3AlUYKSHbKeT7eNqm6qm0LboqlB8kctpzVkLF8xY09uH8XrofX