1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/23/24 5:17 p.m.

John Force had a big engine explosion and resulting crash.  They took him to the hospital for observation but apparently he's OK.  Quite a ride for a 75 year old guy.

EDIT: Initial reports about his condition were wrong, he suffered brain injuries in the crash.  He began to show some improvement days later, but it appears he has a long road to recovery.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/24 6:01 p.m.

Yowch...  He kept it under control pretty well, all things considered!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/23/24 6:23 p.m.

Pretty sure he's  made of the same stuff as Wile E Coyote, drop a boulder on him and he'd  burp some dust and get back after it. Old school campaigner 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/23/24 6:41 p.m.

Oh man I know some folks who were going today. Would have been there myself but already on vacation. Glad he's all right. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/23/24 7:06 p.m.

That guy has gone faster upside down and on fire than most of us ever will.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/23/24 7:23 p.m.

Tis but a scratch.  

Honestly, pretty minor for what he's done in the past...

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
6/23/24 8:01 p.m.

The slo-mo of that run after it exploded was brutal

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/24 8:24 p.m.

Wow, that is a hard hit. The manifold flying off after the second collision really gives you an idea of how much force there was; watch it kick up off the track and keep going. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/23/24 10:05 p.m.

Dude he was already counter steering a split second after the engine went and knocked him across the track. That dude has better reflexes at 75 than I do in my 40s. Hell, better than I probably ever had. 

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
6/23/24 11:06 p.m.

What concerned me,besides that hit to the left wall was no chutes.

Normally the chutes pop when the burst panel goes.

That thing was close to going over.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
6/23/24 11:34 p.m.

Knew his crew chief in the '90s... knew who Jon was, but don't keep up with sports enough to realize he was 75 years old. 
As said, better reflexes at 75, than I've ever had... and I've ALWAYS been faster than most!

Increadable. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/24/24 12:37 a.m.

I might be a puss but if I'm in the family I'd discuss maybe it's time to relax and retire. 

But John Force doesn't come across as a guy with a metal detector hanging out at the beach in Tampa, FLA.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/24/24 12:45 a.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

But John Force doesn't come across as a guy with a metal detector hanging out at the beach in Tampa, FLA.

It would have to be a 300mph metal detector.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/24 4:28 a.m.

I wonder if he saw Elvis at a thousand feet (again?)

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/24 12:50 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Tis but a scratch.  

Honestly, pretty minor for what he's done in the past...

Yeah but that's the past. Doing this kind of gnarly stuff at 75 is seriously wild. I hope he's able to shake this one off and chill (if he can).

Side note, what 75 year old has the reaction time to cut lights like that? It's insane how good he still is.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/24 4:36 p.m.

He taught his daughters well too ,one crossed the line here in NH after blowing her motor taking the complete funny car "body" off of the car. Her comment?

I didn't know I was going to start in a funny car and cross the line in a convertible.

John Force is the berkeleying MAN! Hope he has a speedy recovery.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/24 4:47 p.m.

It says a lot about modern safety equipment that such an event is even surviveable.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/24 8:48 p.m.

In reply to preach :

That's exactly what a Force would say, John or otherwise.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/24/24 9:59 p.m.

The guy is indeed incredible.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/24/24 10:02 p.m.

You know the cheesy scene in Days of Thunder when they're racing down the hospital hallways in wheelchairs scrapping the whole way?  Somehow I see John Force doing that......

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/25/24 1:49 a.m.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/25/24 5:55 a.m.

This was posted several hours ago. Still in the ICU.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/25/24 1:02 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

This was posted several hours ago. Still in the ICU.

He's only there because he's 75. Priority 1 trauma. They don't understand what he does. I mean a relative friend of mine crashed at about 40 yrs of age going 200 in the eighth and tboned the wall. Local hospital released him the same day with a broken wrist and literally blood in his sclera.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/25/24 1:41 p.m.

They are assessing and evaluating because not often a superhumam comes through the door. 75 years old, WOW!

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/25/24 1:46 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

I met him at the Motorsport Hall of Fame dinner this spring. He's more the type of guy hanging out at the hotel bar in a tux and sunglasses. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NcLfkB9MLUD4zg041oOEKLxuc2fJOS6jkFx0gKmvqlIzqPSqNuYNt7mOWj5wkdaD