old_
old_ New Reader
6/11/13 1:28 p.m.

What cars should I be looking at for a cheap high flow fuel pump? Either inline or in tank. I'm losing my storage space and need to move a car (missing gas tank and pump) across town. I'm just going to rig up a sealed 5 gal bucket in the trunk. The car is a twin turbo 300zx. Even though this wont be my permanent fuel setup I wan't something that can keep up in case I need to get into boost.

Thanks!

Winston
Winston HalfDork
6/11/13 1:40 p.m.

Mid '80's F150's have external pumps, IIRC. If it's enough for the 5.0, it should be enough for the Z in boost.

BUT... just tow the thing. A bucket of fuel in the trunk is dangerous.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/11/13 1:44 p.m.

I use later model F-250 V10 pumps. They can flow 80 psi to that beast of a motor's burn rate and are almost a factory fit for E30/E36 car in-tank pumps.

old_
old_ New Reader
6/11/13 2:23 p.m.

Just to rephrase... I'm only moving it like 2 miles in town here. I figure $25 at the u-pull-it is cheaper than renting a truck and trailer. I'll move it late at night when there is minimal traffic. I've got a closed top liquid tight bucket that I'll be using.

old_
old_ New Reader
6/11/13 2:24 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I use later model F-250 V10 pumps. They can flow 80 psi to that beast of a motor's burn rate and are almost a factory fit for E30/E36 car in-tank pumps.

Think it will over run the stock FPR?

6/11/13 2:31 p.m.
old_ wrote: Think it will over run the stock FPR?

That would just be making the regulator regulate - which it should be doing all the time. Any fuel pump should be driving the FPR to saturation or you would have a low fuel pressure condition.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/11/13 3:03 p.m.

Mercedes CIS fuel pump made by Bosch. One thing mercedes are good at is burning fuel.

old_
old_ New Reader
6/11/13 3:10 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Mercedes CIS fuel pump made by Bosch. One thing mercedes are good at is burning fuel.

What year/model should I be looking for

6/11/13 3:28 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Mercedes CIS fuel pump made by Bosch. One thing mercedes are good at is burning fuel.

That is the Bosch 044 I believe. Those are good pumps - also available in BMW, Porsche cars of 90's vintage.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/11/13 3:39 p.m.

Turbo DSM, MKIV Supra (LOL in a junkyard), Bosch 044 as mentioned.

But seriously, do you have a hundred bucks? A Walbro 255 on ebay AND you get to keep it as a permanent pump.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/11/13 4:02 p.m.

2 miles? I think I'd invest in a good tow strap and roll it vs. all the work you'll go through on a temp and possibly dangerous install of a bucket and pump.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/11/13 4:17 p.m.

Most Mercedes from like 1976 to 1990 used a variant of CIS as did many other manufacturers. Bosch pump with blue band. The fuel pumps are rated pretty high I think over 80psi. Just go to the junkyard these pumps don't fail often.

I think Pres is right about not doing anything foolish to avoid a tow.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/11/13 5:47 p.m.

Any efi 240/740 Volvo has a nice little package of Bosch pump with fuel filter bolted to the underside of the car. Make sure you grab the wire connector and fuel outlet fitting- inlet is a pretty standard slip on fitting.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
6/11/13 11:02 p.m.

I agree on the Bosch pump. A nice little note about them... If you run two of them in parallel, you will have enough fuel flow (even with E85) to take you beyond streetability in most cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DCYFFLkyUMjZZfCZWtWdY6o4PkFXGDqIoYWpOx98ItAqDeFevOlFx12frxrhrW3Y