SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
4/22/11 3:12 p.m.

So, if I bought an old, VW based rail buggy, with an IRS transmission, could I autocross it at SCCA events?

I've wanted one since high school and I may know where a couple are.

Thanks, David

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/11 3:23 p.m.

A Mod is where it would end up, but I would say yes.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
4/22/11 3:33 p.m.

So, I'd most likely be out classed. Unless...I put those magic spinning triangles in it.

How good of an idea is this? Really?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/11 3:40 p.m.

It's a Bug suspension, not the best in the world. You would also probably have to shed some weight. A-mods come in at 900 pounds. A sandrail is probably going to be closer to 1500. Probably fun to drive, but not exactly top of the class.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/11 4:29 p.m.

I agree with Toyman01...

If you want one, and you want to drive it around an autocross course, I don't see a problem there.

If there are other people actually running A Mod in suitable cars there, I'm pretty sure they'll be operating in a completely different world from you, spinning triangles or no. No amount of power is going to make up for a suspension never meant to do this type of thing...

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
4/22/11 4:31 p.m.

& this is why I ask y'all before spending $$.

Thanks

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/22/11 4:36 p.m.
ransom wrote: No amount of power is going to make up for a suspension never meant to do this type of thing...

Dont completely discount the suspension, its been doing wonders in FMod Forumla Vees for a long time.

A rail is still too heavy to be competitive in A Mod but it would be a hell of alot of fun. I had always considered building one with a subie motor just for giggles.

parker
parker New Reader
4/22/11 4:37 p.m.

A sand rail still weighs 1500 lbs? Isn't a beetle under 2000?

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/22/11 4:42 p.m.

And they are not as cheap as they used to be.. All the nickle and dimes will get your wallet...

If you stay close to stock.. Sure... Tons of fun and reasonable enough... But adding power (or suspension travel) adds up fast...

That being said... So MUCH FUN...

This is mine... It would be terrible on an autocross course... and I would probably get kicked out for pulling wheelies .. But hey... Running through the slalom with the front in in the air probably isn't something you see in A mod every day... (I am a master of the "steering brake" )

These things belong offroad... They love it there...

Oh... and I just sold all my aircooled junk... VNT Turbo dodge engine going in... VW stuff is simple enough to work on... but damn... I get tired of working on it.... and need more power than a stock 1600....

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/22/11 4:44 p.m.
parker wrote: A sand rail still weighs 1500 lbs? Isn't a beetle under 2000?

Mine was around 850-950 with the VW drivetrain... all the stuff, bracing and engine to do the Turbo dodge conversion will put it around 1050-1100...

1500lbs would be a heavy two seater rail...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/11 5:15 p.m.

Who cares how competitive it is? You'd get a round of applause for just running the course!

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
4/22/11 6:21 p.m.

Too right, Keith! The point of sandrails is that they're a ton of fun to drive. So what if it handles like a wounded hippo at the autocoss. Besides if it has turning brakes you can do your very best Sebastian Loeb impression on all the tight corners!

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/22/11 6:47 p.m.
Keith wrote: Who cares how competitive it is? You'd get a round of applause for just running the course!

I agree completely. Put any thought of competitiveness out of your head and just go have fun.

dogbreath
dogbreath New Reader
4/22/11 7:01 p.m.

Plus, it's a blast to drive a rail in traffic!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/22/11 7:06 p.m.

Sand rails are FUN. Having said that, they are so rear biased weight wise that on an AX course they wouldn't be competitive but would still be fun.

If you are thinking of an early 'swing axle' car you will need to seriously consider a 'camber compensator' or at least limit the rear suspension's downward travel. Otherwise, you could wind up on your head real quick. And that's not the fast way through the cones.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eK7jLSrgewh41RwnMgCfJIlY80w8SMQ6NRBUGXxqgcJZgtaHypfHkreu4t18nKpf