volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
6/12/12 12:30 p.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/11/racer-crosses-infield-to-intentionally-wreck-another-competitor/#continued

He picked an almost perfect trajectory; he barely had to adjust at all before clobbering the other guy.

Circle track racing: the hockey of the United States.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/12/12 12:40 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: He picked an almost perfect trajectory; he barely had to adjust at all before clobbering the other guy.

Well, if you think about it, a lot of these guys are hunters, so aiming at a moving target is something taught at an early age...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
6/12/12 12:46 p.m.

Uncalled for no matter what way you look at it. And they cheer for him...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/12/12 12:58 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Uncalled for no matter what way you look at it. And they cheer for him...

Those are the same people who watch NASCAR for the wrecks.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
6/12/12 2:38 p.m.

While I don't condone this sort of thing, I have to admit that I am highly impressed at what appears to be perfect judgement in the intercept point (he wasn't leading or lagging the target)...

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
6/12/12 2:45 p.m.

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

J Block
J Block New Reader
6/12/12 4:01 p.m.

The promoter said "if you are going to fight, don't do it in the pits. Do it on the track where everybody can see it."

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/12/12 4:05 p.m.

I'd have cheered. Then again, I watch hockey for the fights.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
6/12/12 5:16 p.m.

I saw that one the other day. He timed it perfect. Not that I would condone such actions, just seems to be more of it happening lately.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/12/12 7:02 p.m.

Reminds me of a race last year where a pissed off driver did not take the other guys car out. He came back to the pits and did about 5 passes through the other drivers tools and gear.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
6/12/12 7:23 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Circle track racing: the hockey of the United States.

I LOL'd.

I've been going to stock car races all my life, and you don't see stuff like that very often... but when you do, it's usually deserved.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
6/12/12 7:50 p.m.

Anyone know the back story on this?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
6/12/12 11:57 p.m.

Imagine if the "victim" saw this coming and dynamited the brakes. The red car plowing into the wall would have gotten cheers from me.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/13/12 1:38 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Circle track racing: the hockey of the United States.
I LOL'd. I've been going to stock car races all my life, and you don't see stuff like that very often... but when you do, it's usually deserved.

I have also seen (not quite as violent, but almost) behavior like that from people who had been racing a long teaching someone a lesson for being a new driver, female, etc. I don't get the point, even professional drivers do stuff like that and its totally ridiculous. If that happened on the road they would go to jail.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
6/13/12 7:20 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: I have also seen (not quite as violent, but almost) behavior like that from people who had been racing a long teaching someone a lesson for being a new driver, female, etc. I don't get the point, even professional drivers do stuff like that and its totally ridiculous. If that happened on the roadthey would go to jail.

As he should here. Just because it happened on a race track doesn't mean it wasn't an intentional attack

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/13/12 7:46 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I'd have cheered. Then again, I watch hockey for the fights.

Me too, but their throwing punches, not cars.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
6/13/12 9:30 a.m.

Had a situation like that happen at the local track here a couple years ago.

One guy went after two drivers ( they were brothers) like the one in the video, cutting through the infield and such. Track Officials stopped the race, the one guy got arrested and went to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/13/12 9:37 a.m.

That's why many tracks now have inside walls. among other reasons.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
6/13/12 10:41 a.m.
iceracer wrote: That's why many tracks now have inside walls. among other reasons.

Not on Figure 8s

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
6/13/12 11:45 a.m.
hotrodlarry wrote: Had a situation like that happen at the local track here a couple years ago. One guy went after two drivers ( they were brothers) like the one in the video, cutting through the infield and such. Track Officials stopped the race, the one guy got arrested and went to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

I remember that. Twin State Speedway.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/13/12 11:58 a.m.

What'd the guy in the black Cavalier do to deserve that?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/13/12 11:59 a.m.
Harry Hogg said: "Now, I want you to get out there and HIT the Pace Car!"

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/13/12 12:07 p.m.
hotrodlarry wrote: Track Officials stopped the race, the one guy got arrested and went to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

This would be my response.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
6/13/12 3:01 p.m.

Much better than A.J. did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4s-Se60pzs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9E3BB96A11E80E86

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/12 5:47 p.m.

you can't win driving like a gentleman

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
87BQmsY9BLs4JlYs6cQWVcXfOvOEptEId5hpTupe61KVEiJOhr20HqNMKz8ZEVTt