1 2
redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/15/13 1:07 p.m.

This is more of a hypothetical question, but one that I do go back and forth with. Both cars are of the same vintage, and offer their own pro's and con's. I actually initially set out to buy an E30, but couldn't find anything around NYC that wasn't grossly overpriced, or half a second from crumbling back into the earth. Or, both.

I do love the 944 and have been having a lot of fun with it, but I can't seem to get rid of the idea of an E30. I've never had one, and have only had E46's so I don't really have an experience to speak from. Obviously the BMW is more practical, while the Porsche is more traditonally a sports car in the aesthetic sense at least.

Again, more of a hypothetical question since I haven't found anyone that wants to trade anyway. More of a "what would you do..."

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/15/13 1:19 p.m.

Good lord... I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. While I've never driven a 944 it can't possibly be worse than how much I dislike the E30...

Unfortunately, I think my car needs a head gasket (uneven compression numbers with one down more than the others) so I don't think it'd be a fair trade on your part. Otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed to find a cleaner E30 in this area...

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
5/15/13 1:28 p.m.

I haven't driven a 944, but the one E30 that I have driven wasnt that exciting, it was just a nice normal car. I would have to think a 944 would be more fun, I know the milano I ended up getting instead of an E30 was quite fun to drive.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/15/13 1:40 p.m.

It's funny reading the other two previous posts. The E30, especially around here has taken on almost mythical proportions. I was hot for one a while back and went out and drove a few. Granted they were used cars so I didn't expect perfection but basically they were just normal everyday cars. Not that fast, not really slow, handled good but not great etc. So I can't say that they were bad.......or good. They could probably be made to be really good, but so could a lot of cars. So.........I still really like them but not as much as before. Am I conflicted?

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/15/13 1:47 p.m.

Well for me, it's not just the driving experience, it's also that I've wanted one since I was a kid. I have always loved the coupe and convertible 3 series. I loved both e46's that I had (Xi sedan and Ci convertible). I also loved the 944 as a kid and glad that I bought one, but I guess I feel like maybe I should have waited for an e30 to come up. I got impatient and jumped on this car, though it's been fun and mainly free of trouble or issues.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
5/15/13 2:11 p.m.

Having owned both (in cabriolet form) I can say my 944 moves my spirit in ways the E30 never did. Agree with everyone that said the E30 is more of a regular car (albeit a very good one) but the 944 is much more involving in the driving experience.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/13 2:33 p.m.

I would love me a nice clean 944. I always thought they were the perfect car

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/15/13 2:35 p.m.

The 944 is better in almost every single way except for engine cost and trunk space.

The grass is only greener on the E30 side if you are too broke to fix the 944

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/15/13 2:40 p.m.

No it has nothing to do with money or the costs of maintenance on either. Frankly if I couldn't afford to take care of one or the other, than it's not worth it. So far, any items repaired are relatively in-line with what would be charge for an e30, sans major jobs like a timing belt/water pump change. It's more of a matter of "maybe I'd rather have the e30" type of mindset. I mean, in an ideal world of having driveway space, I would take both.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/15/13 3:27 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I was hot for one a while back and went out and drove a few.

You did what I did not... and I've paid dearly for it. I also made the mistake of looking at the car with my g/f - who looks at rust and paint first. And my car is frighteningly clean and rust free for being a northeast car with over 200K miles.

My problem was a lack of research. I wanted (still do) a car primarily for autocross with all other needs and requirements a distant second. While the car has a number of positive attributes, a good auto-x car it is not. After I bought everyone said, "umm... what did you do that for?"

It's funny... there's a 944 for sale down the street from the g/f's house... except it's a turbo and I want a NA car (again - autox - E-Stock).

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/15/13 4:09 p.m.

Ian I don't know why you dislike the car so much. Pretty sure all these cars have their cons, but for someone that does more racing than I, I could see why you 'd prefer this set up. If it didn't need a head gasket and you were close to the NYC area I would totally be down for it. If you do decide you have interest or ever want to check it out if you're out this way, hit me up and I can give you my email.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/15/13 5:45 p.m.
ToplesS2 wrote: Having owned both (in cabriolet form) I can say my 944 moves my spirit in ways the E30 never did. Agree with everyone that said the E30 is more of a regular car (albeit a very good one) but the 944 is much more involving in the driving experience.

This. I've never understood the love affair with the E30. I've owned 944's, and had a gf who bought her 325is new, and autocrossed one for a while. To me, the E30 is simply a car, a tool. It didn't have any passion or excitement, and was lifeless on the autocross course. The 944 on the other hand has wonderful steering and makes simple trips a joy.

Others will disagree as cars are very much a personal preference, but I'd never go from a 944 to an E30 unless there was another reason behind it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
5/15/13 5:54 p.m.

I think this calls for IanF to replace the HG and try to work out a trade! I would do it in a hearbeat (if I were IanF. redhookfern I think you're nuts for wanting to ditch the 944)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/15/13 6:27 p.m.

Sounds like the good E30, in terms of fun anyway is the M3. Of course far more expensive though.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/15/13 6:58 p.m.

If I had the time and enthusiasm I'd consider it, but right now I'd rather put hot needles in my eyes than turn a wrench on that car again. Right now I'm eyeball deep in putting my GT6 back together for Carlisle. When I get back my plan is to clean up the E30 and put it on eBay. While I'd get more for it fixed, its just not worth the time and aggravation to me.

As for why I don't like the car, its a matter of perspective. Our other cars are new MINIs, a Spitfire, a GT6, Volvo 1800ES, and my newly acquired '64 Mini. We had a '97 M3 before the MINIs. We've got the "fun weekend car" thing covered. My TDi wagon is a far more comfortable, practical and efficient daily driver. I had heard the E30 was like a rwd MINI. It's not. Not even close. In the end, the BMW is a car without a reason.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/13 7:39 p.m.

I was sorely tempted by 944s before I bought my E30, but I'd had one before and never had an E30, so the bucket list thing was a factor. Others: - E30s have more power stock for stock, and it's easier to add even more.

• Engine swaps are easier and more plentiful for E30s. The only 944 swap I know of is the LSx, and that's big $$$, plus you need all the Turbo drivetrain bits.

• Cheaper parts

• Easier to work on

• More practical (mine is to be a toy, but also a third car)

Having said all that, I will own another 944 some day. That shape just calls out to me.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/13 8:01 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I was sorely tempted by 944s before I bought my E30, but I'd had one before and never had an E30, so the bucket list thing was a factor. Others: - E30s have more power stock for stock, and it's easier to add even more. - Engine swaps are easier and more plentiful for E30s. The only 944 swap I know of is the LSx, and that's big $$$, plus you need all the Turbo drivetrain bits. - Cheaper parts - Easier to work on - More practical (mine is to be a toy, but also a third car) Having said all that, I will own another 944 some day. That shape just calls out to me.

You don't need the turbo bits for a V8 swap and many run regular SBC's or LT1's. Some even use V6's. Google Texas Performance Concepts and ignore Renegade.

Many start with turbo 944's because the motors E36 M3 the bed and some others like to swap on the turbo brakes and body parts. The transaxle isn't really any stronger (the cases are the same and both prone to flexing in the same spots) though many more turbo cars came with LSD's, which is desirable to V8 swaps.

AngryCorvair brought a V8 944 to the Challenge one year I believe and it wasn't a 951 based car, nor did it have an LSJuan.

I don't understand how a hatchback is less practical than a sedan. I can understand if you're hauling more than two people, but as far as trunk space? Hatchback FTW.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/13 8:32 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: I was sorely tempted by 944s before I bought my E30, but I'd had one before and never had an E30, so the bucket list thing was a factor. Others: - E30s have more power stock for stock, and it's easier to add even more. - Engine swaps are easier and more plentiful for E30s. The only 944 swap I know of is the LSx, and that's big $$$, plus you need all the Turbo drivetrain bits. - Cheaper parts - Easier to work on - More practical (mine is to be a toy, but also a third car) Having said all that, I will own another 944 some day. That shape just calls out to me.
You don't need the turbo bits for a V8 swap and many run regular SBC's or LT1's. Some even use V6's. Google Texas Performance Concepts and ignore Renegade. Many start with turbo 944's because the motors E36 M3 the bed and some others like to swap on the turbo brakes and body parts. The transaxle isn't really any stronger (the cases are the same and both prone to flexing in the same spots) though many more turbo cars came with LSD's, which is desirable to V8 swaps. AngryCorvair brought a V8 944 to the Challenge one year I believe and it wasn't a 951 based car, nor did it have an LSJuan. I don't understand how a hatchback is less practical than a sedan. I can understand if you're hauling more than two people, but as far as trunk space? Hatchback FTW.

I was too specific, I mean Chevy V8s in general, though if I was going to bother, I'd use an LSx. I know you can run the NA parts with a V8, but how long will they last if you are tracking or autocrossing it? And an LSD is a must-have to me.

I know you can swap anything into anything, but I don't have the fab skills many of you have, so I have to rely on swaps that other people have done and mapped out. And being able to buy mounting kits makes it even better. For the E30, the swaps people have done are endless. Seemingly half the cars on R3vlimited have M5x/S5x swaps. M30s are common and well-documented. Garagistic has a kit to swap in an M6x. Vorshlag has famously put an LSx in one. E30V8 has mounts for Ford 302s. You simply can't say that about the 944 platform.

As far as practicality, I have two almost-teenaged kids who are both tall for their age. Putting them in the back seat of a 944 might get me reported to CPS. They were 7 when I had my 951, and it was kinda tight even then.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/13 9:05 p.m.

M50 swapped E30 owner here. E30's are bad ass.

If you were in my region I'd consider trading for a few days, always been interested by the 944.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/15/13 9:25 p.m.

I've driven both. The 944S I drove left me saying "You mean, that's it?". The E30 makes me smile every time I drive it...but you've got to de-Americanize the suspension to really discover what the E30 is all about. And for gosh sakes, don't get one without the 2.5 liter six.

It says a lot that I can still say such nice things about a car that is currently on jack stands while I am on day 3 of trying to get the berkeleying rear crossmember out to replace the bushings.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/13 9:38 p.m.

the M42 version of the 318is is nice too. Not as powerful as the 2.5, but still more spightly than the M10

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/15/13 11:27 p.m.

So really no one has yet totally swayed me into not looking for an E30 to trade.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/13 11:36 p.m.

I had an e30 - granted it was an eta - but with all new suspension, Koni Yellows, Vogtland springs, all new bushings and the Milano was just so much more fun.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/13 11:36 p.m.

I don't think anyone here is going to steer you away from an E30..

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/16/13 5:21 a.m.

Meh... My E30 has "de-Americanized"suspension: Koni's, H&R sports, poly bushings, a few other bits. The car desperately needs an E36 rack, which many guys install. However, most of these guys aren't as autox focused as I am and that swap would put the car into Street Mod. It gets mauled bad enough in STX.

I agree its a car worth owning once. Maybe if my car hadn't been such a lemon or I'd had more realistic expectations my opinion wouldn't be so sour, but everyone has different wants and needs out of a car.

You're new here. Trust me. Everyone else here is tired of me complaining about the car and will probably be more happy than me when I finally sell it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gi27GonSCWlaBoODWpRr6YwB77w1eg2j5LSIam6mPPFDFok3tILZ01FkXAqHlREW