1 2
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/11/15 6:20 p.m.

So, hopefully, tomorrow will mark the day I pick up my first new car (swmbo drives our other new car, a 2010 Terrain). I was able to find a great deal on a semi local 2014 Cruze LT with a boosted ecotec 4 cylinder mill, alloy wheels, and a manual 6 speed gearbox. Its really pretty basic besides that...no touchscreen, no fogs, no sunroof, manual cloth seats etc. I also am happy to say she is white in color (the best color they're available in IMHO).

So, first off, she needs a name, and secondly, I need to know what's the best Cruze enthusiasts forum? There are several, and I'm not convinced which is better than the next after some rummaging around.

I will chronicle my adventures in this thread. Excited doesn't begin to cover how I feel. I'm so stoked, I think I'm actually vibrating at an audible frequency.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/11/15 6:42 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: ...first off, she needs a name..

You mean, other then "Tom"

(seems to be the obvious choice)

travellering
travellering Reader
1/11/15 6:48 p.m.

In reply to aircooled: No, this ones a little screamer. Suri there must be a better Cruise to name it after.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
1/11/15 7:02 p.m.

Penelope

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/11/15 7:05 p.m.

Bulger

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/15 7:46 p.m.

James Robert Cruze.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
1/11/15 9:06 p.m.

do you lean extremely conservative politically?

how about Ted?

-J0N

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
1/11/15 9:14 p.m.

Pixorz!

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
1/11/15 10:24 p.m.

Auto cruze

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/11/15 10:27 p.m.

I don't care what you call it just make it look like this

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/11/15 10:28 p.m.

Missile

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/15 12:39 a.m.

This.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/12/15 4:41 a.m.

Lilly

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
1/12/15 4:52 a.m.

Control

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/12/15 5:09 a.m.

Lol all great suggestions! I'm leaning towards Penelope, though I fear that will likely be played out harder than lambo doors by now. Still, she's super hot!

Anyway, since I still dont have possession, here are a few pics from the dealers site:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/15 6:58 a.m.

I stand by my original statement.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 8:28 a.m.

Thelma...

Just because..

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/12/15 8:31 a.m.

Riddle me this...we talk about certain chassis in terms of AW11 or AE86. What VIN positions do those characters occupy? 4,5,6, and 7?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/12/15 12:25 p.m.

Also, looks like I'm not getting it tonight. Dealer swap is taking too long... boo

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/12/15 9:23 p.m.

Aaaaand craziness ensued...long story short, I got it! Pics to follow.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/15 6:44 a.m.

Let me guess. The old "we can not get the car how about this nice one that has more options for only 2k more".

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/13/15 6:49 a.m.

So - are they offering a factory tuner that retains your warranty like Ford is for the ST vehicles?

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/13/15 9:21 a.m.

Total Recall

Type Q
Type Q Dork
1/13/15 10:36 a.m.

Maybe something more "appliance" themed would be good for a white car. My wife has a white Prius that I nicknamed "Energystar."

How about "Amana"?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/13/15 7:25 p.m.

Sorry for the long delay fellas, between starting a new job and everything else, it's been hard to find time to post. Turns out, after much logistical weirdness, at no ones fault in particular, everything worked out exactly the way I hoped it would. I want to give a big shout out to the guys at Jeff Wyler Chevy in Eastgate, Oh. They went the extra mile to make sure everything worked out perfectly. I would recommend them to anyone.

The Cruze is exactly what I was hoping it would be. It's a fun commuter thats pulling down better than 34 mpg combined. It's also a lot of fun to drive in general despite getting good fuel economy. The 6 speed gearbox is a little new to me...the gearing is short, the engine is too quiet to drive by sound/feel, and the brand new clutch feels kinda odd. But I think I will get it eventually. The fun part is that while it runs out of breath a 5.5k, and max HP is actually 4.5k (here's looking at you toyman...you can thank the teensy weensy lil turbo for wheezing with athsma), max torque is actually 10 foot pounds greater than max hp and a few hundred rpm later. What that means is that it kind of pulls and pulls and pulls...until it stops lol.

First impressions of the interior are equally as satisfying. It may just be that I haven't had a new car in five plus years, and this is my first new new car since I've been driving, but this thing has way nicer finishes than an entry level sedan should. The leather wrapped shift knob is perfectly sized and the lever throw is great, the manual seats adjust about eleventeen different ways, and the lack of sun roof and basic stereo really don't feel that basic at all. The seats are comfy and the buttons and other accessories don't have a cheap or flimsy feel to them. At the price I got this vehicle at, I'm feeling like I got a pretty solid deal... Time will tell if the mechanicals and such were the deal I'm hoping they were...

I have to say it's kind of odd to have a car that I'm not immediately thinking about what I need to upgrade. I want to try and leave the warranty intact, so that means hooning will be at a minimum, at least as far as turning wrenches is concerned. That said, GM Performance does have a performance exhaust system in their current catalog, that claims gains of 10 HP and 15 foot pounds, while retaining the factory warranty (provided their factory monkeys install the thing). Might make a few calls and see what that might run me.

I'm having a hard time nailing down any of the technical specs, but from looking under the hood, I'm pretty sure the intake charge flows through an intercooler (thought it was direct feed). Looking a little closer at the rest of the engine bay, I see that the cold side tubing between the intercooler and the throttle body is about 2 inches or so in diameter! Looks like there's probably a lot of room for improvement there. I'm not sure where else I would want to make many changes... We are talking about a 1.4 litre mill. I'm not sure I want to push too much harder on the little thing, but the comically small turbo probably is a huge opportunity for performance improvement as well.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. I would make this deal again in a heartbeat. I am sad to see my old g20 go, but it's the price that has to be paid in the long run I suppose. My hope is that she will go to a new owner who will treat her well for some time to come. I know I promised pics, but you'll have to be patient. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to take them, the weather has been crappy, and I'm kind of lazy lol. I promise once we have a decent day where I'm not working at the new gig, you will all get some good pics. But until then, here she is resting in her new bedroom.

Name still to come... But I'm liking Amana, that's pretty hilarious.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TM3mimi9YDXayjXzaX9Z4YB5lwtmpqW1BYj1Bs2fYMsi8UyKCj3eJLsd2UDEbnMR