1 2 3 4
RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Already in the process of a Web Page, FB Page and will use this thread also.

Updates and pictures

RacingComputers
7/17/24 10:24 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Initially planning 15 days,  Couple of days on the back end to HANDLE the vehicle disposition , then fly to Seattle then Charlotte.

Last Crown Vic Police Car was 2011.  That is the one we woulld choose if a car is the choice.  

RacingComputers
7/17/24 10:33 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

Thanks

Already have the Garmin In Reach for the bike.

Cobra Model 29 CB with a 100 Watt Heater and dual 102" whips for reaching out to "GOOD BUDDIES"

Will add a Wilson Communications Cell Booster

Satmodo Phone Rental for solid voice communication to Mrs.

Appreciate the input

RacingComputers
7/17/24 10:35 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

The last 400 miles of The Dalton Highway (Haul Road) has not been paved.  Up and back to Dead Horse will supposedly be the TOUGHEST part,

Thanks again

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
7/17/24 12:05 p.m.

Maybe take a page out of the overland book. Were it m I'd go for Tahoe/suburban/expedition/sequoia/etc. in  the newest/best condition that my budget would allow. It's usually pretty easy to set up a rudimentary sleeping system inside one. Make a "chuck box" to organize cooking utensils/stove/pantry to make cooking/cleaning up less of a pain. A battery bank that can recharge on DC power (or buy an inverter) hooked up to a low draw box fan will make hot/stuffy nights more tolerable. 

Ive traveled cross country in the lower 48 a couple of times (for fun--my partner and I love road trips and exploring the west) with a similar set up and have no complaints. 

RacingComputers
7/17/24 1:08 p.m.

Excellent advice from everyone.

Thank you

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/24 1:27 p.m.

Reliable car and a tent. I've crossed Canada like this a couple of times. It's only 6000 miles, as long as you don't buy something that is staggering around on its last legs you should be okay. 

RacingComputers
7/17/24 3:29 p.m.

Mulling on  $5K donation buy in vs $10K and sell at end of trip/

Both have attractions

Thanks all

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
7/17/24 4:28 p.m.

Take lots of bug spray. If you are going to sleep in the car/truck, you can't lower the windows for air flow, unless you have window screens or bug netting to keep the mosquitos from getting in. All the jokes about the Alaska-sized skeeters are based on fact!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/24 4:37 p.m.

I have never met Alaskan mozzies, but I can confirm that the NWT ones are huge.

RacingComputers
7/17/24 5:17 p.m.

Are they the ones that say "Let's get him out of here, before the big boys arrive"

Still bad mid-September?

Asking for ME!!!!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/24 7:54 p.m.

Not sure if you want to get this deep, but if you set up something like a gofundme page, you might make your impact on the charity a really big one.

I think people are giving good ideas.  I came here to say maybe a RAV4 or CR-V.  Both available with AWD.  Could also do a Forester/Crosstrek if you're careful about what years you pick.  If you go the gofundme route, pick something quirky, but diamond in the rough type, like a Samurai or a Suby XT.  Something reliable, but off the beaten path.

YOU would want a Suburban, CR-V, or a Buick LeSabre.  Gofundme donors want to see a Citroen, or a Scout, or a Commanche.

RacingComputers
7/17/24 11:17 p.m.

Great Input

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/24 1:33 a.m.

I've fished in the Everglades at dusk, but that didn't prepare me for the mosquitoes that I encountered in Alaska. Size, numbers and determination were almost incomprehensible. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/18/24 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

There's a running Citroen wagon near me !

RacingComputers
7/18/24 1:37 p.m.

Hmmmmmm

Looking at 1997 Ford F150 Extra Cab 4x4 with < 150K miles    Lariet Trim Level

Also considering GMC 2500 with high miles but at a much lower price point.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 2:04 p.m.

Manual Corolla wagon 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/18/24 2:34 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

Hmmmmmm

Looking at 1997 Ford F150 Extra Cab 4x4 with < 150K miles    Lariet Trim Level

Being a Lariet it'll have all the options and this likely includes the larger and more problematic, 5.4L vs the 4.6L

Epa fuel rating of 12/13/16 mpg sad

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
7/18/24 2:36 p.m.

Top gear says the answer for anything is a Toyota Hilux pick up

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
7/18/24 2:42 p.m.

The F150 has the advantages of having about the best parts and knowledge availability of nearly anything anywhere long your journey, and likely being easy to sell when you get to AK.  Finding a bed cap would make your supplies more secure and clean/dry and provide a dry place to sleep if needed. 

I would be looking hard for a GMT800 Suburban 4x4.  All the same advantages of the F150 noted above, but easier to keep everything and yourselves inside, and they are really excellent highway cars, very comfortable and quiet for the 1500 versions.  

RacingComputers
7/18/24 3:06 p.m.

We currently have the 4.6 3V in the Mustang Street / Track car.

Appreciate the excellent feedback.

Tough decision on low buy in and donation vs higher buy in and sell after the trip.

Seems 4x4 or AWD is most attractive for resale in AK

RacingComputers
7/18/24 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

What year range on the GMT800 suburban?  Thanks

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
7/18/24 3:53 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

2000-2006, look at Suburbans, GMC Yukon XL and Cadillac Escalade ESV.  There were some minor updates for 2003, but it wasn't enough to worry about, shop based on condition.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/18/24 4:36 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

Re: Donation

Maybe you know this so I don't want to lecture you but also maybe you'll find this helpful... 
The rules of donation changed some years ago.  In the old way, you could just claim you donated off a $4k car and no one really checked.  Now, you can only deduct the amount that the charity actually sold the car for. So, the process is you leave the charity the car and they give you a promise that they will send you sale paperwork.  By tax time, you get that paperwork and it has a number on it.  You don't know the number beforehand.  

I bought at auction a Toyota Avalon that had been donated through some wounded veterans charity.  Nice, older Avalon but its main flaw was you had to pump the brakes.  I did not know about the brakes until after winning the auction and it ended up needing an ABS controler.  But I paid out just over $500 for the car.  What that really was is a $350 auction bid and then auction fees on top of that pushing it up over $500.  What the donater would get is tax paperwork for a $350 sale.  

This is a tax deduction, not a tax credit.  If you get a tax credit of $4k, you get your tax return (or tax bill) PLUS $4k.  If it is a tax deduction then your sample $75k annual income is reduced by $350  and then the remainder or $74,650 is still taxed (before other deductions.)
The simplified net result, in a world of 28% income tax is that this $350 car donation will net $98 real dollars.  And to think, a JY would likely pick up the car and still give you $100.  However, the charity made $350 so if you just wanted nothing for the car anyway, at least the charity won.   

Specified more to you.  If you donate off a $5k vehicle and the charity even reaps $3k from the auction then at 28% of $3k you'll reap $840.  
or
$5k - 840 = $4,160 is what you gave away.  

I'm not knocking donation.  Its a win-win if you just need it to go away.  You then get a little money (eventually) for minimal effort.  But, if you're hanging around here on GRM that effort should be easy to you.  

RacingComputers
7/18/24 4:50 p.m.

Thanks John   

My accountant had shared that information more / less.

The initial donation idea was raised as a way to make the trip a one way drive.  

Drive up to Dead Horse, back to civilization, fly back to Charlotte.

The tax advantage was not the driver for the donation thoughts.

Possibly increasing the buy in and selling on the other end is the best approach.

More input from Mrs. Racing will be needed of the buy in gets increased

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mCb6SJLSYnbabdqRYUahCg6DAnE2AClwJwESyQLt6Sqge2EI86rQJU3xVfT4B7QS