1 2 3 4
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/18/24 4:52 p.m.

In the argument of spending $5k or $10k.  

If one option is to buy a $10k vehicle and go. and, the other option is to buy closer to $5k and spend $3k on maint before departure, I choose the second option.  

I also would want to use these actions as part of your "pre-arrival" for sale listing.
Full fluid flush
New tires
Maybe updated suspension pieces.  
Preventative replacement of other possible wear items ie: hoses, belts, etc.   

Or, what's the fun of that?  Drop down $3k on whatever penalty box you can buy and feel the adrenaline rush of where "the roulette wheel of breakdown" is gonna land!  Leave that heap on the side of the road somewhere or pass the problem off to a chartity of your choice.  

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/24 10:35 a.m.

John

These:

Full fluid flush
New tires
Maybe updated suspension pieces.  
Preventative replacement of other possible wear items ie: hoses, belts, etc.

Plus :

Rotors and Pads

The $10K buy in is now, as you said $13K

But a more reliable, less risky way to make the trip to Dead Horse

Trip from Key West to the North Portal is 2500 +/- miles, mostly inhabited country side.

The North Portal to Dead Horse and back to  Fairbanks is 2900 +/- miles, as we all are aware, is less populated and basic services may be lacking with roads worse than I80  across PA and Ohio.

So it is a 50 / 50 chance that something will happen in out of the way places, with the odds getting higher and higher closer to Dead Horse nad back to Fairbanks.

The smart money says buy the lowest mileage something the budget will allow.

Make the drive, and either sell or consign to a used car dealer in Fairbank and fly home.

All a moot  point if my passport does not arrive in the next 30 days.

Appreciate everyone's input and will continue to solicit input and report results.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/19/24 2:15 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

Your profile says Charlotte so I pointed Facebook Marketplace there and put in one keyword: AWD

Here are some that it returned that I think you should consider.  

AWD Sienna Minivan '06 w/166k @ $7.5k ask

AWD Sienna '05 w/162k @ $5.6k ask

AWD Lexus RX330 '02 w/102k @ $7.9k ask

AWD Honda Element '06 w/129k @ $8.5k ask

Is AWD required?  I don't think so to make the trip, even in the worst parts.  But, I think AWD is required to facilitate a quick sale in AK.  I focused on reliable brands that will both ride pleasantly and sell quickly.  

RacingComputers
7/19/24 2:47 p.m.

Thanks John

Doing the exact same thing with AWD in the search window.

Appreciate all the assistance.

More to follow

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/19/24 4:13 p.m.

I then pointed FB to Achorage. AK and tried to buy a 

Sienna:  '07 w/ 198k @ $7.2k 

RX330: None to be had, just much newer versions.  These likely sell quickly.

Element: Two listed.  '08 w/ 180k @ $7.8k (but listed 4 weeks ago...slow) and  '06 w/190k @ $7.3k listed 16 wks ago!!  These cars have a loyal, rabid following but they may be perceived as high priced for the amount of miles.  The NC one is just 129k miles and $8.5k asking (similar price) but your less miles could make it sell much quicker

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/24 11:07 p.m.

I'm going to chime in with another idea.

What if you took something that is very un-alaskan?  It might be something cheap for us, but something that a charity could sell for good money to someone who is looking for things that they don't get up there.  AWD and 4WD are the easy buttons, but what if there is a niche market for El Caminos or a 70s Ford Maverick?  Maybe there are folks up there who would drool over a C4.  They likely don't have access to things that they might see as a priceless classic, but we would see as a boring old utility.

I say that as a research point, not advice.  I have visited every single state except AK, so I might be talking out of my bum.

RacingComputers
7/20/24 11:07 a.m.

Excellent advise and the research continues.

Looked at one of the Sienna Vans this AM.  

Mechanically, good   Asteticaly, not so much.

More to follow

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/24 11:55 a.m.

Your trip will at some point take you through BC, so depending on the timing this web site may be helpful https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/20/24 12:10 p.m.

A really clean Yamaha XT250 and a camper?

RacingComputers
7/20/24 12:15 p.m.

Thank Rons

Appreciate that link, we have the one specifically for the Dalton Highway.

Will download OFF LINE maps to a Dell Hardened Lap Top

Already have Remote Cell Amplifier with Overland type antenna,  CB with 102" Dual antennas and 100 W foot warmer, and will be renting a Sat Phone for the duration of the quest.

RacingComputers
7/21/24 5:26 p.m.

Have spent a lot of the weekend looking at multiple types of vehicles for the trip to Dead Horse.

It is amazing what sellers are asking for vehicle that LOOK Good in the pictures, but ..............................

And the prices are INTERESTING to say the least.

More to follow.

Thanks all

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/21/24 11:15 p.m.

I did some more searching...

'02 Envoy w/80k @ $3.5k it might be rwd but its worth inquiring about.  

'11 Nissan Xterra w/122k @ $8.3k  Being a Pro4X model it is the loaded offroad version and should have locking rear diff and skid plates.  

'03 Envoy w/ 168k @ $2.5k  V8 engine option and chrome probably means lux inside too.  Could be 2wd??

As a rule of thumb, $3k will get you a car that needs quite a bit of work.   You can drive it home but probably not drive it far. 

$6k will get you a car that only needs some work, but still needs work

It sucks out there these days for finding "bargains."  A lot of the cars are "used up" and listed by sellers who don't want to spend on the needed repairs.  

RacingComputers
7/22/24 11:01 a.m.

John

Thanks for the assistance and input.

Minimum buy in looks to be at least $5K with another xx $s for acceptable safety and road ability .

High mileage with a newish engine and transmission might be a FIND.

More to come

RacingComputers
7/22/24 10:30 p.m.

Have an appointment in the AM to look at a 2005 Suburban 2500 2500 Ls with the 6.1 and automatic transmission.

Has recent rotors, pads, shocks,  belts and hoses.

Ex-county Emergency Services Supervisor's Vehicle.

Details to follow.

RacingComputers
7/23/24 10:28 a.m.

Interior had gotten WET at some point.

Not a good option

More to follow

Thanks

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/24 10:59 a.m.

If you are doing the selling on arrival option, I would call that Xterra today. That is criminally underpriced for a loaded Pro-4x with that few miles. I took mine all over colorado and Texas with no issues and it would make that trip no problem. 

It'll be a little thirsty at 18ish on the highway but it will sell for 10ish easy in AK. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/23/24 11:07 a.m.

I'll agree, the Xterra seems nice.  Things I noticed about it...

Looks like a genuine "private sale".  I also see it has Michelin tires.  Not some cheapo brand which implies the seller didn't just fix things the cheapest way. The Michelins also imply that the current owner isn't beating on it. They likely only drive it to the mall. The Michelins will also be nice (quiet) for the hyw portion of the trip. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/24 12:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The other thing I noticed is the plastic.It's all dark grey in a warm weather climate which means probably garage kept. They even cleaned the wheel liners. The rear mud flaps are perfect so it's never been in anything rough. Those get destroyed off-road. The interior was NICE! and they added a nice Bluetooth stereo too.  

Anyways, That would be my choice. I bet you wouldn't even have to do much to it either. 

RacingComputers
7/23/24 3:33 p.m.

Thanks for all the input

The search continues

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/24 3:50 p.m.

Note that there are actually Miatas in AK. We have customers there. C'mon, do something really fun :)

RacingComputers
7/23/24 9:58 p.m.

Keith

I had thought about just that!

My BEAR Shape and Size would require an NC Miata, but ..........................

More to follow

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/24 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If I end up with another Miata at some point, it will likely be in Alaska. My bike is up there for the same reason, views. 

RacingComputers
7/24/24 3:53 p.m.

Should this fall trip not go forward, a Miata would be the choice for mid=summer

Keith Z chronicled his trip on an Adventure Motorcycle Site the summer of 21.

Thanks

RacingComputers
7/25/24 7:35 a.m.

The Search Continues

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/25/24 8:55 p.m.

Facebook continues to serve me up suggestions after having looked the market for you...

'08 Sienna AWD w/118k @ $4.5k

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EAUVJUXo3idOj8mirHZRj6K1hBqB5r6GL9tQRHoxgKgdYm1O1drpZTFDV0WsiEZ4