1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/8/13 11:00 a.m.

This subject got people chatting on our Facebook page, so I figured I'd bring the conversation here, too:

Ground Control offers their Koni adjuster/bottle opener:

While Flyin' Miata has an equally handy bottle opener/cam gear tool.

So, what's keeping your keys together?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/13 11:06 a.m.

I love the combination of enabling my drinking habit while at the same time keeping my keys in a convient to find location.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/13 11:18 a.m.

I've had this one since I was 14 or 15 years old. I made it from the gas cap off of a wrecked and abandoned '66 Mustang that I may or may not have paid for at the time.

photo Montesa009_zps626e4a44.jpg

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/13 11:26 a.m.

I have this one on my house key-chain:

Each car gets its own key-chain;

951:

924:

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/8/13 11:29 a.m.

And a small loop for my truck/house keys

I've acutally wanted to make this thread for a while. I want a keyring that isn't just a boring loop of metal. My father has one and I've never seen one like it. It is sort of shaped like an elephant ear pastry.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
10/8/13 11:38 a.m.

Had one of these since I've had my FC. Be very very wary when the rotor falls out, I spun all engine bearing a week later.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym New Reader
10/8/13 11:49 a.m.

I have two sets. One is just a brown leather key fob with a little medallion attached to it, which I got for my first anniversary at my company. The other is a basic free Bud Light bottle opener. That one also has a bunch a library card and various grocery cards on it.

Our E30 has a key fob from Dad's Austin Healy. That one is pretty cool.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/8/13 11:50 a.m.

mine is one of these, about 1.5" long

All my keys are grouped on split rings by function - one is bare minimum ( house key, bike lock key) that I carry while on vacation or on the bike, one is all work-related keys, and one is all other misc. keys ( church, etc). My vehicle key is always loose and has nothing but the factory fob. That way I can only carry the keys I nee don a certain day and not have 20lbs of crap on me.

rotard
rotard Dork
10/8/13 11:50 a.m.

I try to minimize the footprint in my pocket, so I usually only have the car and house keys on a ring; however, I do like cool keychains.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/8/13 11:51 a.m.

I cant find my keys!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/8/13 11:52 a.m.

Why do you guys want to have a bigger lump in your pocket?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
10/8/13 11:52 a.m.

I have currently a Mechanix Wear lanyard, 2 grocery store cards, tire depth gauge flat tag thingie, and a keychain made out of a Bassani exhaust nameplate. The nameplate is made from SS and I use it to open boxes with it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/8/13 11:55 a.m.

The cyclist in me always has to have allen wrenches around ('cept mines green)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/13 12:03 p.m.

The Javelin has a vintage Auto World red vinyl keychain (the hobby store guys that make all the cool models and slot cars).

The 5 has a USCG one.

I'll get picks at home.

EDIT - Drove the Javelin to work today (SWMBO's GP is in the shop getting a bazillion services done) so I went out and snapped a pic:

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/8/13 12:06 p.m.

Also, Ive seen these, and thought theyd be cool...except for the big ass keys I need for work, and both our cars have fobs, the GMC fob is integrated with the switchblade key, so it wouldnt work for me, at all...but theyre still cool

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/8/13 12:08 p.m.

Nuff said?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/13 12:15 p.m.

I've got a couple of cars on carbon keychains of various types and the vintage stuff tends to run vintage keychains. Here's the only one I have a picture of.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/8/13 12:34 p.m.

Mazda lanyard, MX6.com bottle opener.

I don't put keys in my pocket, that would suck. I have many keys.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/8/13 12:38 p.m.
ransom wrote: Why do you guys want to have a bigger lump in your pocket?

I just use a plain ring, with as few keys as possible.

I rented a car last week for a business trip, and the rental company handed me this fist-sized pile: three keys, two remote lock control fobs, and their company fob all on a permanently connected ring so I couldn't take it apart. I asked them about it and they said they kept all the keys together so they wouldn't lose any; my thought was it was a perfect way to lose all of them at once.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/8/13 12:50 p.m.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/8/13 12:51 p.m.

I have one of these on a ring for non-automotive keys. I can find my house, shop keys etc. from this even in the dark. Been twenty yrs I 'spose, I still dunno why.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/13 12:58 p.m.

I picked up two of these 14 years ago. The first one was getting tired so the second went on the key ring about a month ago.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
10/8/13 1:00 p.m.

I like the ridiculously overpriced but ridiculously well made snap rings and clips at Berkeley Point. Plus a titanium Peter Atwood thingamajig and some tweezers. Lightweight good; replacing ignition switches bad.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/8/13 2:38 p.m.

My friend has the rod that used to hold part of his shin in place due to a mistake on a GPz 550.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/8/13 2:56 p.m.

My 2 month old Leaf still has the dealer tag on the key. Part of it is I'm just haven't gotten around to changing it and part of it is just wanting to remind myself that I'm actually driving a new car for once.

My minivan has a basic ring with all several grocery store discount cards attached...go figure.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4gM1sgv1IWk2TKXwM2xCrSvnTvGORdjNhF5Rw2Pv6qzdWB28qkhizJAvK1pWBcBg