1 2
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
3/4/20 6:42 p.m.

https://www.koenigsegg.com/gemera/

Statement ripped from Engine Swap Depot HERE:

Koenigsegg recently debuted a four-seat, all-wheel-drive vehicle called the Gemera. The vehicle’s powertrain features a twin-turbo 2.0 L inline-three called TFG “Tiny Friendly Giant” that produces 600 horsepower and 600 Nm of torque. The motor specs includes a 9.5:1 compression, 95 mm bore, 93.5 mm stroke, dry sump, and weighs 70 kg. The engine also uses a fully variable valve actuation (camless) head developed by Koenigsegg’s sister company Freevalve. This allows the ECU to control the intake and exhaust timing independently of each other. The car pairs the TNG with three electric motors that together produce 1700 horsepower and 3500 Nm of torque which propels the Gemera 0-100 km/h in 1.9 seconds.

I'm pretty sure now Christian Von Koenigsegg is just Lex Luthor with no Superman to fight. Last I heard of Freevalve though, they were using some serious air pressure to actuate the valves- does it still use that? Or have they swapped to a new technology, I wonder?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 7:26 p.m.

That sounds.... odd.  That's an awfully large bore compared to what everyone else is doing.  And a 2 liter THREE sounds pretty harsh.

The whole thing sounds like something Hyde from That 70's Show would say.  It's a fiberglass air cooled engine and it runs on water, man!

_
_ Dork
3/4/20 8:39 p.m.

"The world's first mega GT car". Lmao. Pathetic. All they are doing is giving the douche that can afford one a reason swing his dick around.

"Oh you have a bmw?  well MY CAR is a MEGA-gt... guff, guff, guff..."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/4/20 9:44 p.m.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/5/20 3:24 a.m.
Knurled. said:

That sounds.... odd.  That's an awfully large bore compared to what everyone else is doing.  And a 2 liter THREE sounds pretty harsh.

It's supposed to basically be the same bore/stroke as their V8s, so there's likely some part sharing. I'd guess that they've basically designed their combustion system with freevalve as a 200hp 1 cylinder, and then they'll just add however many cylinders the car needs for power/packaging.

A 2.0L, 3 cylinder does seem like an odd choice, but it revs to 8500rpm, and has a ridiculously flat torque output of 365 ft-lbs from 1700 to 7500rpm:

It also has a single speed transmission for no shifting, a 31 mile all-electric range, 4 wheel steering/torque vectoring and can travel up to 210mph on electric only. And every seat gets 1 heated and 1 cooled cup holder (lol). There's some crazy stuff going on.

It won't let me embed it, but here's a good video with Koenigsegg himself discussing the car

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/5/20 4:56 a.m.

_ said: All they are doing is giving the douche that can afford one a reason swing his dick around.

Good thing being a douche is only a quality of rich people. Because I've never met a middle-class douche.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
3/5/20 7:23 a.m.

I'm most interested in the Freevalve tech.  Individually activated valves are finally here.

https://www.freevalve.com/freevalve-technology/

I'm not so sure about the "artificial intelligence" part, I'm thinking like how Mazda says they were able to do sparkless petrol combustion, it's just computing has become quick enough to control these for various conditions.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
3/5/20 8:12 a.m.

Gorgeous, crazy fast, and I'm sure equally expensive.  Pretty impressive all around.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/20 8:16 a.m.

Downscaling an existing platform does make sense, as most of the engineering is done already.  Especially for something as thoroughly integrated as variable everything.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/5/20 8:28 a.m.

Regardless of who buys this car, it represents an incredible piece of technology.  1,700 hp and 2,600 ft-lbs of torque is an amazing feat, and the complete package looks fantastic too.  This is exactly the type of cutting edge work one would hope for from an exotic boutique like Koenigsegg.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/5/20 9:05 a.m.

There's a shockingly low number of pics in this thread

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/5/20 9:27 a.m.

If you're familiar with the Regera, this seems to work pretty much the same way, although I don't recall if the Regera engine does freevalve or not. You can pretty clearly see the compressor hooked up with a large air line up to the cylinder head on this 3cyl. I don't know what pressures they are using in the system but considering that an ac compressor can actually stall a small engine when the 'head' pressure gets up past 350+psi, it's probably less than that at idle at least.  cheeky

I think Christian Von Koenigsegg is to the very rich what Elon Musk is to the upper middle class, which is to say he takes their money to beta test and normalize major technological shifts which in the long run will change the arc of the entire industry  for the better. I may not have much in common with a Koenigsegg buyer but ideologically i share a good bit with both of those guys and their views on the future of tech. 

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/5/20 9:43 a.m.

"Camless" valve actuation technology is horrible and unreliable, not to mention expensive to replace when it inevitably fails. My wife's Fiat 500 for example...with its "multi-air" system replaces the intake cam like this...guess what? Put the wrong viscosity oil in there and the thing starts misfiring badly because the valves dont close completely and it causes low compression in the cylinder, in addition to that, the multi-air hydraulic system is prone to premature(in comparison to real camshaft) failure and costs $1500 to replace....thanks but no thanks, I will keep real cams in all my engines after dealing with that.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/5/20 9:46 a.m.
Wicked93gs said:

"Camless" valve actuation technology is horrible and unreliable, not to mention expensive to replace when it inevitably fails. My wife's Fiat 500 for example...with its "multi-air" system replaces the intake cam like this...guess what? Put the wrong viscosity oil in there and the thing starts misfiring badly because the valves dont close completely and it causes low compression in the cylinder, in addition to that, the multi-air hydraulic system is prone to premature(in comparison to real camshaft) failure and costs $1500 to replace....thanks but no thanks, I will keep real cams in all my engines after dealing with that.

This car starts around $1.7 million. I'd bet big money (for me) that an oil change is more than $1500, and most of these things are driven a few hundred miles per year. What I'm saying is that costs don't really matter for the people buying these things.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/5/20 9:51 a.m.
Wicked93gs said:

Did you buy a Fiat expecting reliability? devil

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/5/20 9:54 a.m.
STM317 said:
Wicked93gs said:

This car starts around $1.7 million. I'd bet big money (for me) that an oil change is more than $1500, and most of these things are driven a few hundred miles per year. What I'm saying is that costs don't really matter for the people buying these things.

Very true. I am sure its a great engine, but it fails my practicality test, not something I would want in a car I drive regularly...but I guess no one is driving that thing regularly.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/5/20 9:55 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Wicked93gs said:

Did you buy a Fiat expecting reliability? devil

lol, I bought it because my wife wanted it of course....might have had second thoughts if I fully realized what it was beforehand.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/5/20 10:00 a.m.
Wicked93gs said:

People said this about the pneumatic tire and fuel injection too. New tech always has some teething problems, but that is not a reason to dismiss it completely.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
3/5/20 10:14 a.m.

I don't know anything about Freevalve past the youtube videos  but if Koenigsegg says it's ready for production, then it is. This is the best automotive engineering firm on the planet we're talkin about here. 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
3/5/20 10:21 a.m.

So, no word on a crate version of that yet huh? 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/5/20 10:22 a.m.

Valvetronic has been around for a long time and at no time in those ~20 years did BMW gain a reputation for reliability, so retaining the camshaft may not be the only trick.. 

And as far as needing good oil quality and pressure to run correctly, powerstroke 7.3s are like that and people view them as one of the most reliable engines ever! It's partially because, if you have bad oil quality/pressure, it won't run to blow itself up! Brilliant!

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
3/5/20 11:25 a.m.

I'm prettysure I'm seeing an electric air pump running the valetrain?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/5/20 12:13 p.m.

The air pump is the thing that looks like an ac compressor (belt driven). It has a large air line going up to the front of the cylinder head where you see it split to each side and you have big connectors for the solenoids on each side. One thing to note is that it's getting its air feed from the intake manifold which means that any time you're in boost the compressor is fed pressurized air and acting as a '2nd stage'.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/5/20 12:28 p.m.

I can already tell the headlights will be too bright.smiley

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/5/20 1:37 p.m.
Jay_W said:

This is the best automotive engineering firm on the planet we're talkin about here. 

That may be a bit of a stretch. I would definitely say they are the most innovative production street car manufacturer on the planet. Connie's Egg looks at a lot of new tech and when most manufactures say "yea that'll be too expensive to develop", they already have cars sold with that technology. The perks of a customer base that doesn't ask about price. 

I'm kinda surprised Cone-Eh-Zagg hasn't done an all-electric vehicle yet, but my guess is that it's customer don't really demand it. The Genera is pretty much an electric vehicle with a high horsepower motor strapped to it. 

As always, it's far easier to do something with unlimited funds than it is to produce a high performing vehicle on a budget, so here we literally are. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4bo7XpoqmclXMTajqOI0rPFNXwxqYdT6hu7kkSIw7sTkvHtVrRsTG1A21UI0rXDe