itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/15 7:14 a.m.

My DD tires are nearing their end so I'm looking for replacements. It's an E30 on bottlecaps so 14". This isn't my race car so all season long wearing tires are preferred. But I don't want the ride and control to suck either.

Tire rack has the Kumho sense for a good price and it seems to get good reviews. Any GRM ers tried them? Anything else out there GRM would recommend?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/5/15 7:20 a.m.

I ran them on my Celica over the summer for similar reasons. Grip was meh, tread life was lousy, the sidewalls were floppy, but they were cheap... I thought they sucked to be honest. If you don't want to have any fun they might last a while.

itsarebuild
2/5/15 7:26 a.m.

Did you have something before or after that was better?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/5/15 7:30 a.m.

Yeah, BFG A/Ts were actually better for handling and tread life Yes, they were on the Celica.

I've been a big fan of the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 for a long wearing but fun DD tire, but it isn't available in 14". I'd probably sooner go with the General Altimax HP, although I have only driven other cars on them, not actually owned a set.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
2/5/15 7:48 a.m.

I've had good luck with the Solus KR21.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/15 11:03 a.m.

I'm cruising through winter on the Kumho PA31's. It's been a pretty decent & inexpensive all-season winter tire for me.
I was all about the cost when I bought them.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/5/15 11:25 a.m.

Last 2 summers SWMBO's car had some cheap kumho tires, Solus kh19, IIRC. Rode well enough, my only gripe was life span, but the counter to that is my wife racks up nearly 30k a year.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/5/15 11:39 a.m.

I had kr21s on my 2wd Dakota. The wear was meh but they were OK even in a decent amount of snow. I run Fallen Ziex something something on the wife's car, they are sold as an Ohtshu fp6000 now. They are pretty good for 50 bucks a piece.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
2/5/15 12:10 p.m.

I had Nexen CP671's on my Mazda during the winter and really liked them for an inexpensive all-season tire. They were as good as the Michelin Pilot all seasons that came on the car. However, they don't make it in any 14" sizes and only one 15" size.

itsarebuild
2/5/15 2:17 p.m.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And saving me from some really meh tires.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
2/5/15 3:17 p.m.

I ran the Khumo ASX for a few years as my "meh" daily setup on an IS300. They were pretty decent for cheapy tires and I got something like 40K out of them with some occasional abuse.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/5/15 4:04 p.m.

Don't get me wrong I'd run them again if I was looking for an ok tire on a low budget and they were available. I only got about half the advertised wear out of them though. I was also putting about 100 miles a day on them in a truck loaded down with tools and equipment, a camper shell, and a ladder rack.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
2/7/15 9:59 a.m.

I think the all-season tire with the best dry grip is probably the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-season tires on my sedan and I like them. They seem to have very stiff sidewalls, so the car turns in easily and stays flatter during cornering. They're big improvement over the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92As (another all-season, quasi-performance tire that's pretty good but overpriced if you're not an OEM).

Grip-wise, the Goodyears are probably pretty mediocre compared to summer tires. They're probably just a bit better than the Potenzas were on dry pavement, and on par with any other all-season tires except those Michelins. They are also fairly inexpensive, and, again, they do feel sporty.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epta6l8sQlwNy39wmwTmHMvRKYPI7nV63xTDMtjuOa7Rnhk3L4L67y2eAH5Vt6eS