1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/17 5:44 p.m.

BMW owned them at this time, so reliability was actually up.

That tickled. 

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/12/17 5:52 p.m.

I see what people love about them after driving a buddies around in a snow storm.  They have that 80’s Merc door thunk that says good quality.  They are a strange dichotomy of being wildly over engineered in some areas and poorly engineered in others.  I say do it, it cannot be worse off than the new FCA Grand Cherokee in build quality and I like those too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/17 8:13 p.m.
markwemple said:

Usually the ones being discouraged are the ones that come off as people not likely to diy properly or be willing to pay the "Land Rover" premium for maintenance. Plus, if they ever talk about fuel economy, well.......

the fuel economy issue is why I am buying a saab. I was up to almost 15mpg before they kicked over to the winter blend fuels and now I am back down to 13ish. Premium on a 24 gallon tank, hurts

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/17 8:13 a.m.
markwemple said:

They are also insanely capable off-road. 

They're pretty good for what they are, dunno if I'd say "insanely capable"...offroad ability is similar to a '90s Cherokee.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/17 8:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

They're pretty good for what they are, dunno if I'd say "insanely capable"...offroad ability is similar to a '90s Cherokee.

While I would take it off road, I'll never be an extrema off roader, but they were used for the Camel Trophy.  While they were prepped (HD suspension, winches, Snorkle, tires, roll cage and protection etc.) they were hardly completely re-engineered.  I'd say a stock on is more hard core off road capable than 90% of other 'off road' vehicles ever sold to the public.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/17 8:56 a.m.

So I've been down with the flue for four days now, and no it wasn't a flu induced fever that led me to look at this.  I'm feeling much better now and going to be checking it out more closely soon.  I will be looking over the service history at the weekend to check for the front drive shaft replacement and what/any/how recently any cooling service work has been done.

mad_machine
12/14/17 10:01 a.m.

I have gone through some nasty bog like puddles that seemed more like small ponds in mine. Even without the locking transfer case, it never seemed to want to get stuck, and that is on road biased Geolanders. I imagine with the locking t-case and some real offroad rubber, my Disco would be nearly unstoppable. I know with snow tyres I was going through 2 foot of snow with no issue

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/14/17 10:50 a.m.

I loved my Rangie in the snow:

That was on street tires and simply raising the suspension up and driving back and forth to clear out a spot for it. Pushed right through the deep stuff with no issue.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/17 12:59 p.m.

Is there a good unbiased (as in not 'buy our reman engines or your screwed') primer on the Rover V8 variants, specifically the post 3.5L era out there on the webz-of-inter?

mad_machine
12/14/17 3:40 p.m.

what are you looking for Adrian? The Disco 1 with the 3.9 is pretty bulletproof, the 4.0 is close, and the 4.6 has many issues. Mechanics I know have never replaced a 3.9, but quite a few 4.6s. The 4.6 is probably the reason there are so few facelifted Disco2s on the roads today. The LR3 is a MUCH better vehicle all around. Independent suspension, Jaguar based 4.4 litre engine, more up to date electronics plus the locking transfer case. They are even decent to drive on the street.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/17 4:14 p.m.

Well it's an 04 Disco 2 so that's the fourpoitsixofdooooommmm. What I want to understand is if it's survived to 107k miles does that mean it's safe or could it still go. How DIYable are fitting top hat liners. Availability or new oil pumps, covers ?  Does a 4.0 drop in if the worst happens and how does a 4.0 play with 4.6 electrcalamathingyamabobs?  Is there a simple 4.0 upgrade (cam, porting etc.) to give equip output to the 4.6 it may (hopefully never need to) replace?  I assume all external components are swappable on different engines etc. Things like that. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/14/17 6:51 p.m.

There's always a 4.2.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/14/17 7:03 p.m.

Every 4.6 (4) ive worked on dropped liners. 

And i still really want one

mad_machine
12/14/17 7:30 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Well it's an 04 Disco 2 so that's the fourpoitsixofdooooommmm. What I want to understand is if it's survived to 107k miles does that mean it's safe or could it still go. How DIYable are fitting top hat liners. Availability or new oil pumps, covers ?  Does a 4.0 drop in if the worst happens and how does a 4.0 play with 4.6 electrcalamathingyamabobs?  Is there a simple 4.0 upgrade (cam, porting etc.) to give equip output to the 4.6 it may (hopefully never need to) replace?  I assume all external components are swappable on different engines etc. Things like that. 

I do not know how it is done, but you can "pin" the liners into place a lot more easily than you can rebuilding the entire engine to tophat the liners. Maybe somebody here will chime in.

Of course then there is this Rover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTtexZGLeIA

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
12/15/17 6:20 a.m.

There’s a shop in Albuquerque New Mexico putting the Cummins R2.8 in a Discovery.

Dirt Every Day Extra with Fred Williams and Dave Chapelle interview the builder.

mad_machine
12/15/17 8:01 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

There’s a shop in Albuquerque New Mexico putting the Cummins R2.8 in a Discovery.

Dirt Every Day Extra with Fred Williams and Dave Chapelle interview the builder.

for all that work, I think I would just source the original intercooled turbodiesel 5 that Rover used. It does more or less bolt right in.

Narveen
Narveen
7/31/19 12:13 a.m.

I am sharing a grieving. I bought a beautiful ..  BEAUTIFUL  Discovery  and it  burst into flames  witin ONE day of my owning it.  

I am heart broken. I fell in love with this vehicle. 

2004. Gold.. modified. . beautiful  

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:15 a.m.

We are investigating the reason for the fire.

Do ;you know; about other Discoveries that have burnt up? 

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:23 a.m.

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:26 a.m.

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:27 a.m.

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:30 a.m.

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 12:33 a.m.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/19 6:49 a.m.

There's a nice D2 in craigslist without an engine. Is there a way to put a LS engine in it while keeping 4wd? 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/19 6:50 a.m.
Narveen said:

I am sharing a grieving. I bought a beautiful ..  BEAUTIFUL  Discovery  and it  burst into flames  witin ONE day of my owning it.  

I am heart broken. I fell in love with this vehicle. 

2004. Gold.. modified. . beautiful  

Wooooow

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1XPQdcMiQcu8s3X0qu08YualbrXbh0YdQeOtFpYR2yJqDa7azOTuJyQdRGZEbkFj