Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/08 7:30 p.m.

Earlier in the week, my Porsche 911 dreams were (at least temporarily) crushed by a disappointing Pre Purchase Inspection on a seemingly perfect car. I had been closer to purchasing one than I had ever been before and the whole ordeal made me question whether or not I even want to get involved with one.

Tonight, I'm flipping the channels because there's nothing on and I stumble upon the opening scene of Le Mans with Steve McQueen.

I think I'm back in the hunt.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/18/08 7:56 p.m.

Talk to the local Porsche club.

If it's something you can afford and you really want it, go for it. Otherwise you're just going to keep asking yourself whether you should get one.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
12/18/08 8:04 p.m.

I love that movie. I'm reading "A French Kiss With Death" about the making of the movie.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
12/18/08 8:21 p.m.

And my daughter (bless her motorhead heart) is getting me the DVD for Christmas from Amazon...along with "Grand Prix" and "Winning" Hey, she asked me for a list...

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/19/08 1:08 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: If it's something you can afford and you really want it, go for it. Otherwise you're just going to keep asking yourself whether you should get one.

Good point, but being able to afford the car, and being able to afford to maintain/repair the car can be two totally different things.

Not that used 911's are unreliable crap-wagons, but things can go wrong... You can also expect to pay some good money for Porsche parts, with surprisingly little help from the J.C. Whitney catalog.

Don't give up, though. Like Matt said, hook up with someone from your local PCA. Some good people with good info there, and can really help you make the right decision when the next car could potentially enter your life.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/19/08 1:26 a.m.
grafmiata wrote: Good point, but being able to afford the car, and being able to afford to maintain/repair the car can be two totally different things.

Good clarification. By being able to afford the car, I didn't mean to suggest just the payment on the car itself, but as in being able to afford it continually.

Just ask the guys who bought used Esprits thinking they were "cheap" supercars.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/19/08 2:22 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote:
grafmiata wrote: Just ask the guys who bought used Esprits thinking they were "cheap" supercars.
Actually, a used Esprit can be a "cheap" supercar... They will usually burn themselves to the ground before you have a chance to fix the small, unrelated problem the car had when you got the good deal on it!!!
924guy
924guy HalfDork
12/19/08 7:06 a.m.

Woody, I sent you a contact number for some guys that will probably know of anything worth buying in the ny metro area via the message thingy here..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
axYnEPAp7wr3swDDOFa6L3YORsRabNKmhKNc1Ka1rT9FYXzNPA95h24KGyruqCqz