CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/12/14 9:23 a.m.

Looking to upgrade my DD from the current Astra XR (auto) to one of these based on my positive experiences with Honda/Acura in the past (Integra LS, CL Type-S manual, S2000).

This would be my first TL, so while familiar with the J-series motor my knowledge ends there. I found a one-owner, dealer maintained 06 manual non-navi with 95k that I am going to try and look at this weekend. Wikipedia is telling me all the manuals came with bigger brakes, standard LSD and stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars, is that correct? I would have thought that would have only been in the Type-S.

Anybody know what the timing belt service will set me back (including labor)? Anything else I need to look out for in general or at the 100k mark?

Are the autos an issue with this generation like they were with the earlier gen cars? There seem to be quite a few autos around with anywhere from 90-140k.

I have a really good Honda/Acura independent shop in the area and these seem to have a pretty strong aftermarket. Thanks in advance.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/12/14 9:34 a.m.

Honda/Acura considered all 04-06 TL manual cars a type-S. Since there was no type-S in the early cars (04-06). T-belt service with OEM parts will run you $5-700.

Check the mounts, at that milege the side mount is likely done and the front mount may as well. The auto's were an issue on the early 04's. The later cars still have small issues with the TC but nothing catastrophic like the early cars. Overall a decent car. Interiors didn't wear that well with age (mostly the dash), but they mechanicals are pretty sound. The Brembo's tend to eat the rotors with the pads so be prepared to replace them as a set. The stock 17" wheels are made of silly putty. Look at a frost heave and they will bend and crack. The 18" accessory wheels were bulletproof.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/12/14 9:51 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Honda/Acura considered all 04-06 TL manual cars a type-S. Since there was no type-S in the early cars (04-06). T-belt service with OEM parts will run you $5-700.

I wondered why I couldn't find many Type-S's. I definitely like the look of those 18" wheels (and the A-Specs). T-belt service doesn't sound too terrible and glad to know the auto's aren't ticking time bombs in case the manual I'm looking at doesn't work out.

Luckily I'm in Florida so I rarely have to worry about issues with rust. Interesting on the interior wear, I loved the perforated leather heated seats in my CL and was hoping those in the TL would be similar. Dash's can be an issue down here if not tinted/garaged.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/12/14 9:56 a.m.

They are a problem up here in the north. The passenger airbag lines show up and it looks like the airbag is poking through the dash. The surface itself turns white with age and just looks bad. It almost seems like Honda consulted with GM on how to make an interior look old fast.

Be cautious with a-spec wheels. They are the same design/style, but a completely different color.... and they haven't been made in about 4 years. They're just as durable as the chrome-look wheels, but getting a matching wheel will be next to impossible.

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
12/12/14 10:03 a.m.

My wife's car is an 06 TL auto. Honestly probably the best car I've ever owned. (Also it's all stock, so maybe that's related). Seriously though, it's sporty enough to be fun to drive, but not so sporty that you hesitate to take it on a long trip. Decent room in the back seat. Good trunk space.

I've had zero problems. The only thing I've replaced was the p/s reservoir which has a filter/screen in the bottom. Over time it can start to clog and cause heavy steering/noise. Simple fix.

The camber settings eat the insides of the tires.

I'm at 122k and still haven't done the timing belt. I need to, just haven't gotten around to it. (Honda recommends 105K miles though). The platinum spark plugs are due at 90K miles.

The Honda dealer I worked at recommended a transmission fluid drain/fill every 30k, so that's the pattern I've held to. No transmission problems to speak of.

Avg fuel economy around town is 21mpg. Though cruising on the hwy I've gotten a repeatable 32mpg. (Calculated by hand, though the on screen economy is pretty accurate).

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
12/12/14 10:06 a.m.

I'll also mention our dash cracked, right above the gauge cluster all the way back to the windshield. Oddly, it happened in the winter.

That said, if a cars biggest flaw is that after 8 years the interior looks worn... it's probably a solid car.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
12/12/14 10:13 a.m.

I just got an 05 6speed TL that my dad bought new. it has 190k on it and drives very well. he has done the t-belt service and not much else. I can see the out line of the p side air bag, but the rest of the interior is still very nice. the front brembo calipers are huge.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/12/14 10:16 a.m.

That reminds me, is the J-series an interference motor?

Thanks for all the feedback. I've only been getting ~26 mpg in the Astra, so figure why not spice things up a bit and upgrade (only a few mpg penalty, even if it is going up to premium). It seems like the 6-speed TL's have been easier to find than TSX's around here.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
12/12/14 2:49 p.m.

What bigmackloud said about handling, room, travel and fuel economy. Our '08 automatic is a really nice, trouble-free car.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/12/14 4:09 p.m.

While I don't have a TL, my wife has an '04 TSX we've owned since new. It also has just under 60,000 miles on it, though it is driven at least 6 days a week. It's been parked outside every day and night of it's life.

It honestly still looks almost new. If I buffed and waxed it, the paint would snap right back to fresh. The headlights covers are a little hazy. The dash is fine. The leather seats are obviously somewhat thin leather, but the bolsters and seams all look fine. There are faint spiderwebs of finish cracks / wrinkles on them, but no splits or tears. They'd probably benefit from some lotion, but I've done that maybe every other year.

Mechanically it is different, obviously, but it runs and drives like a top.

My only mechanical complaint is that either the use pattern it gets, or something about the caliper design, eventually results in material building up on the rotors. This gives a slightly pulsating feel in the pedal, and, as it worsens, the steering wheel under light braking, what many people would call "warped rotors". I changed the rotors to Brembo blanks and the pads to Akebonos at about 30,000 miles because it was driving me nuts, not because they needed it. That cured the problem for several years but as we approach 60k on the clock it is back again. Other than that all I have done is change the oil once a year and the transmission fluid at around 30-35k.

Don't know about the J motors, but on the Ks the oil filter is in a stupendously annoying location and orientation. No way to get it off without taking an oil bath and undercoating the RF k-member and LCA.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/12/14 7:20 p.m.

All I know is that this generation is the best looking TL they made.

Just make mine a dark color.

Opti
Opti Reader
12/12/14 7:38 p.m.

I believe both the J32 and J35 are interference motors.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/13/14 3:40 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: All I know is that this generation is the best looking TL they made. Just make mine a dark color.

Agree with this, my favorite body style. Ended up looking at a really we'll-maintained black 06 auto. Is there any suspension recommendations to wake these up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pI0ywC4D4P9QxcSQt9g0SthgqSS11neFwJQ8XYbo1UsQmXxjSvDKbWPtGKwzMqaE