calteg
calteg Dork
5/10/16 11:06 a.m.

Do they rust? If so, where? Any common gremlins to look out for on a 25yr old car?

RedGT
RedGT Reader
5/10/16 11:39 a.m.

The top of the rear wheel arches for sure. I think door sills/door bottoms are another problem area.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/10/16 11:40 a.m.

Yes, they rust. First to rust and most visible will be at the rear wheel wells.

A '91 Civic Si is god's own chariot on an autox course. The Miata came out in '90 but before that, the pretty much defacto autox car was the Honda CRX/Civic Si. Especially for fwd autox.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/10/16 11:43 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

The '89 Si is actually better for autocrossing because it's lighter due to pillar mounted shoulder straps where the '90-91 has door mounted (requiring reinforced doors) shoulder straps. But the '89-91's are all great autocrossers.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
5/10/16 11:56 a.m.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/10/16 1:16 p.m.

Aren't the 88's the odd year due to the suspension setup?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/10/16 3:19 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

Yes, the rear lower control arms are a different design, but the si model didn't come out until '89.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/10/16 6:14 p.m.
calteg wrote: Do they rust? If so, where?

Clearly, you are lucky enough to live above the rust belt. I've been looking for a solid shell for months now. Beware of anything that's spent time above, say, Tennessee. Also, there's a lot of crap quality work/parts being applied to them by driveway "tuners".

calteg
calteg Dork
5/10/16 7:03 p.m.

@kazoo. I'd assume that's the case with anything of this vintage. Finding a solid shell that hasn't been hacked to death is most of the battle

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/11/16 9:10 a.m.

It's one of those cars I look out for every once in a while. I haven't seen a good one for sale for years at a reasonable price.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/11/16 11:18 a.m.

I have a '90 that has been stripped down to the shell but has all the parts to put it back together. It does need rocker panels, but I have the replacements, and otherwise the car is solid and unmodified. I don't really have it for sale, but would consider selling it if someone is interested. Here's a picture of it shortly before I took it apart.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/11/16 11:27 a.m.

Only reason I ask is I was running in the subdivision behind mine. Spied one parked away, looks like it hasn't moved in years. Might go knock on a door with a few $100 bills and see what happens

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/11/16 12:38 p.m.

Worth a shot, especially if it hasn't been modified

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
5/11/16 1:15 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:Sent a Pm I miss my Ef Civic Si

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/11/16 1:22 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: A '91 Civic Si is god's own chariot on an autox course. The Miata came out in '90 but before that, the pretty much defacto autox car was the Honda CRX/Civic Si. Especially for fwd autox.

A buddy of mine had one of these in high school. He said he bought it from a neighbor that used to race it. At the time I thought it was the funniest thing I ever heard.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/11/16 1:57 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: In reply to bravenrace:Sent a Pm I miss my Ef Civic Si

I replied. Let me know what you think.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/11/16 5:16 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I have a '90 that has been stripped down to the shell but has all the parts to put it back together. It does need rocker panels, but I have the replacements, and otherwise the car is solid and unmodified. I don't really have it for sale, but would consider selling it if someone is interested. Here's a picture of it shortly before I took it apart.

Still kind of bummed I couldn't talk Mrs. Kazoo into this one. She's pretty firm on the "must have airbags if it will be Kazoo Jr's" rule. Good luck Trigun!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o6AQozP0SgVtWJRLmIJKFDZ9ZAf78xiVnYLKH9EjD98GmEz4zutPaSSVbS7bwRkr