SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/27/23 12:12 a.m.

SkinnyKid1 just graduated Grade 12, and has been doing a dual-credit program since February, getting his 1st year Electrician's Apprenticeship under his belt. That program ends in January '24.

As a Grade 12 Grad gift, I want to set him up with a decent set of tools to start him off in his career.

What should I be looking at?

Edit: The course is "Electrical and Industrial Electronics,"  description: "This program provides graduates with the theory and practical skills necessary to enter the electrical trade. The electrical worker plans, assembles, installs, tests, repairs and maintains electrical equipment and systems in commercial, industrial and marine facilities."

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/23 12:28 a.m.

You may need to clarify what type of electrician. There is a big difference from the guys I work with on boats/ships vs the home guy.

Certainly a Fluke meter anyway. I am a mechanical dummy so that is the best I can do.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/23 12:38 a.m.

I'm no sparky but I've designed a couple tools for the trade. I did the Milwaukee version of the No-dog level that's used for conduit bending. Most guys get the crappy No-Dog brand when they join a union or in school. There's no actual level surfaces and it's only useful for bending conduit. I have a couple in the packaging in my toolbox. Probably worth the same as the postage to send your way but I'd like to contribute if I can. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/27/23 6:40 a.m.

Introduce him to Klein tools. Kinda like Snap-on but for the electrical trade.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/27/23 7:42 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Introduce him to Klein tools. Kinda like Snap-on but for the electrical trade.

This is truth, go to an electrical supply house and ask for a Klein Apprentice pouch. He can build from there.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/23 7:46 a.m.

I work closely with union electricians so I can ask, but I agree it depends a bit on what type of work he plans to do.  The tools I have for DIY residential work I rarely see in the commercial/industrial workers' belts.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/23 8:26 a.m.

So it sounds like a bit of High Voltage and then potentially some circuit board work too. The big thing to know is if it's 3Ph or circuit board type stuff. Sounds more like 3Ph installation like I did with crane installation. 

Looking at the pre-made kits, I'd want something like the Klein 33525 set if it's more on the 3Ph high voltage installs. Insulated tools are nice for that type of an application. 

I have my Klein tools from installing cranes back in my teens still today. I'm now almost 50. Good quality stuff. 

6/27/23 10:11 a.m.

He's currently doing Residential (they fully built a small wood-frame house inside the shop, and are wiring it.  I understand they will be drywalling it as well so they can learn how to fish wire).  He has also been learning 3-phase.  I believe there is some commercial work in there too.  The program is a good foundation to wherever he ends up. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/23 10:18 a.m.

Residential is awful.  Well, the work's not so bad, but the pay is. Not a good career path. 

Having said that, it's probably where he will start. Which means he won't need any specialty tools like a conduit bender, etc.  A pair of Kliens, a stripper, a tester, a screwdriver and a hammer is all he will need. 

Having said that, those aren't the tools I'd give him. I'd give him the commercial tools as an encouragement to get into commercial. 

He should focus on the math, calculations, diagnostics, and programming.  That's what will make him valuable as an electrician.  Anyone can pull Romex.

Make sure to encourage him to learn about solar. It's really important as a career path for a young electrician.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/23 10:23 a.m.

Maybe get him started on a battery ecosystem?

He will want a cordless drill. In residential, he will end up with something cheap like a Ryobi.  But a Milwaukee is a better gateway into commercial. And it opens the door to fantastic tools like their battery powered band saw, sawzall, stab saw, and hammer drill. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/27/23 12:13 p.m.

The "Kleins" Svrex referred to are 9" Linesman pliers .  First tool in the pouch and now part of the vernacular, "Hand me those Kleins"

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/27/23 2:38 p.m.

I just did the same thing for my nephew. I bought him a Klein back pack and loaded it with the common tools, most of which mentioned above. I'd also add a good set of screwdrivers and nut drivers. I love the Wera screwdrivers, Klein makes good nut drivers. 

Check with your local electrical distributors and ask if any give an apprentice discount for tools. They will likely give you a break if you tell them what you are doing and buy them together. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
6/27/23 3:26 p.m.

If you want to get fancy, this just popped up at KC Tools: Wera Tool set for Electricians

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/27/23 3:36 p.m.

Thinking about it, if doesn't already have one, one of these:

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/27/23 3:59 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

On the topic of battery ecosystems, I'll also add to not overlook the M12 Milwaukee. While an electrician will need an M18 hammer drill and saws, much of the day a commercial electrician will be doing light duty work that doesn't need all of that power. If you have to swing a tool above your head 100 times to install light fixtures, an M12 driver or impact will make your day much easier than a heavy M18 tool. I know some complain about the two different batteries, but it makes sense- why stick a heavy battery in a lightweight tool? Besides, they share the same chargers anyway. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/23 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Not to seem snarky but the Canadian Electrical Code Handbook may be more relevant for SkinnyKid1.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/27/23 4:34 p.m.
Rons said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Not to seem snarky but the Canadian Electrical Code Handbook may be more relevant for SkinnyKid1.

Ah... then the equivalent Canadian version.  A quick search indicates there is a handbook version - which is useful as they have expanded interpretations of the sections.

Coincidentally, I did a project in the Bahamas a few years ago that followed Canadian codes.  Different than the US, but not wildly so.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/27/23 5:53 p.m.

Disclaimer. The founder of Klein tools was a good friend of my Dad's. So I might be prejudiced.

That said, until the dissolution of the Bell monopoly, Klein pretty much ruled the electrical world when it came to tool quality.

I remember one time  (1981?) being in the Klein's basemen, ( an arcade) and discussing how the Japanese could not match the American forging quality for tools.

How things have changed!

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/23 6:50 p.m.

I probably have 4 or 5 of these scattered in various boxes.  I'm in my 30th year of industrial controls, panel building etc.  

https://www.amazon.com/7401250SBA-10-Inch-Leverage-Diagonal-Cutters/dp/B000X4MPAQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KSADQSBLPO3Y&keywords=knipex+9+inch+cutters&qid=1687906128&sprefix=knipex+9%22%22%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-2

My kid #1 is a 3rd year apprentice electrician doing commercial work. He recommends:

Klein strippers and pliers
screwdrivers, Philips and flathead
LARGE flathead screwdriver  (will not be used as a screwdriver)
battery impact driver
bit set for impact driver
measuring tape
torpedo level (6")

Fluke "tic" tester

1/4" ratcheting box end wrench (thinner than bit ratchets)

Milwaukee or Kobalt brand folding razor knife
Milwaukee brand felt tip marker ("Sharpie", but Milwaukee)

does NOT a multimeter

A fairly big tool backpack (he doesn't like the smallish Husky one he has now)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/23 8:56 p.m.

Somewhere along the way I was told a Knipex pliers wrench is a good tool for a sparky . 

https://www.knipex.com/products/pipe-wrenches-and-water-pump-pliers/pliers-wrenches-pliers-and-a-wrench-in-a-single-tool

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/23 8:56 p.m.
02Pilot said:

If you want to get fancy, this just popped up at KC Tools: Wera Tool set for Electricians

Great deal. Wow. 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/28/23 8:46 a.m.

I work with industrial electricians, trying to keep them from getting maimed or killed.  Based on what I've seen:

Start with PPE.  Yes, employers are supposed to provide most personal protective equipment (PPE).  They sometimes don't make it easy to get or replace, and sometimes what they provide isn't great.  It's good to have your own that meets the government and employer's standards.

Work gloves.  He'll be running conduit and pulling wire for a while.  

Safety glasses that he will wear every time.  With integral side shields. See PPE note above.  

Safety-toe boots.   Non-conductive, with a composite toe box, and a defined heel.  

7/3/23 9:14 p.m.

Update: I like how there actually is a kit for this.  Thanks for posting the Wera kit, and there is a Klein Kit as well.

My parents bought me a big-ass starter set for pulling wrenches, all of which I still have and continue to use.  I really appreciated the help in tools that gave me right up front.

I wanted to do the same for my kid. So....

I bought him a "compact" Milwaukee 12V drill/impact set, and gave him the choice of the Wera or Klein kit; he chose Klein.  He's super stoked.

Thanks, y'all!

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
7/3/23 11:00 p.m.

Nice choice. That's the same backpack I bought my nephew. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
45XVGsYDG6ARegi6LyJHAWpbPKDyi1B6C6N6v67AlpHWx6Tha0uLFeUcHcdQlqbH