dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
2/4/11 11:07 a.m.

Any kind really...police auction, bank recovery,insurance auctions, etc... Is there any special requirments to get in. Can real deals be founds?

Thanks Dan

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/4/11 11:39 a.m.

Entrance to the event depends on the type. Some are open to the general public and some aren't. Look at this website for an auction close to me, as their faq explains a lot about how the process works. thcauction.com

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/4/11 11:46 a.m.

Insurance auctions are pretty much the only place we get race stuff from these days. Pop your max. bid online (a little above scrap value is usually as high as we'll go,) and you'll be amazed what you can scoop up cheap. Most of the time the car will even come with a key and a title.

iaai is a good one. https://www.iaai.com/

Local public auctions are good too, but usually (at least in my area) draw a pretty good crowd. You just have to bid wisely. Cars will typically go for way more than scrap value, but not as much as private party value.

Some steals can be found at Towing Yard auctions too, but more than likely, you won't hear the car run. They'll have a guy there cutting keys, and that's when you find out if you've got a driver or a parts car.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/4/11 12:25 p.m.

Also make it a habit to scan the legal ads in the local paper. LOTS of auctions by towing companies, small businesses are announced there. You'll also learn a lot about how much lof your local government takes places in small meetings at night

Also, check with the local police as to what happens to the impounded vehicles. There are a few people on this board who have been successful bidders at such auctions. .

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/11 1:08 p.m.

Wow, that's great. I just spent 10 minutes on that iaai site and there is some interesting stuff for auction near me, including a 1995 5 speed Civic and a wrecked 2005 Volvo S60R

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
2/4/11 1:28 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Insurance auctions are pretty much the only place we get race stuff from these days. Pop your max. bid online (a little above scrap value is usually as high as we'll go,) and you'll be amazed what you can scoop up cheap. Most of the time the car will even come with a key and a title. iaai is a good one. https://www.iaai.com/ Local public auctions are good too, but usually (at least in my area) draw a pretty good crowd. You just have to bid wisely. Cars will typically go for way more than scrap value, but not as much as private party value. Some steals can be found at Towing Yard auctions too, but more than likely, you won't hear the car run. They'll have a guy there cutting keys, and that's when you find out if you've got a driver or a parts car.

How do you determine scrap value?

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/4/11 1:43 p.m.

I know the Baltimore location listed at that site had an open-to-the-public auction at least once a month. Toward the end of the auction, if you're so lucky, you might get a good buy as people have already spent their money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FOlJVJaHUv7HwNZIaiG9OFP2To3SgbHOZXXM3HPrZJlYMboypV5eBsVdfsLUCB3v