1 2
Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/12/17 2:27 p.m.
Vigo said:

I dunno how bad Daewoos really are since a lot of people here seem to like the Cruze.

Came here to post some info and read this. WTF is that supposed to mean?

Info from a guy I know in the Suzuki community. He's a legit mechanic and I trust what he says

I've fixed up quite a few of them, pretty much learned the ins and outs of them. They are not as good as 89-00 swifts overall but they are generally reliable when certain maintenance items are taken care of. Hard to sum up quickly but here's the usual list: complete timing kit with waterpump is very very important. If you just do the belt, the other pulleys fail and engine damage occurs. Thermostat housing(at top radiator hose nearest engine) needs to be steel and not plastic(think this only affected 04/05 models so you will likely find steel ones on the cars you are looking at).
Serpentine belt tensioners fail at about 150-200k, install a new one while doing timing belt work. Sway bar links and balljoints get loose after 100k, get lifetime warranty ones and replace as needed. There was an upgraded rear bushing for lower control arms that sometimes fail.
The positives are the interior, window mechanisms, door handles etc are pretty solid and age very well. Seats and such don't show wear for a long time. This means that if you take care of the mechanical end of things as needed, the car feels good for a long time. I've seen them over 300k and they drive nice and feel solid still as long as they are in good shape underneath. Transmissions have no issues(auto or stick), brakes are good and last a fairly long time. Body's hold up ok, some rust pokes out but I wouldn't say they rot too badly.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/12/17 2:46 p.m.

Came here to post some info and read this. WTF is that supposed to mean?

The main reason Chevy's small car portfolio stopped being... the Cobalt.. was Daewoo. All of their late-00's small cars had heavy Daewoo influence. If you look at the Cruze wikipedia page it says:

GM Daewoo in South Korea played a leading role in the design and engineering of the Cruze

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

GMDAT (General Motors Daewoo Auto and Technology). Since they purchased Daewoo, there have been several cars come out of that design group specifically aimed at the asian market. That whole group was meant to expand GM's reach into the Asian market.  Basically replaced the old NUMMI joint thing with 'yota and Isuzu.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/12/17 2:54 p.m.

Kids... kids... lets just agree that everything is awful and amazing. 

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/12/17 4:07 p.m.

Underpinned by the front-wheel drive GM Delta II platform, GM has confirmed the Cruze development program occurred under a global design and engineering team.[26] GM Daewoo in South Korea played a leading role in the design and engineering of the Cruze, along with GM's German-based Opel division

Nice try though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/17 5:54 p.m.

Is it wrong that I find two forum members getting worked up over an Aveo hilarious?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/12/17 7:58 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Is it wrong that I find two forum members getting worked up over an Aveo hilarious?

Just need that bowl of popcorn. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
9/12/17 9:08 p.m.

I was behind one today actually. 600 pounds of scrap in the back of my dakota and I still think I could have taken it.

On the brakes down every slight incline, coasting UP every slight incline. 10 under at least. The mile or so I was behind that thing made me angrier than trying to drive into Wilmington.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/12/17 9:46 p.m.

Nice try though.

Excuse me? Nothing about the words "along with (Opel)" changes anything about Daewoo's "leading role in design" (quotes for a reason, because it's verbatim). 

I think what's really going on here is that someone or some contingent of people seem to have an unreasoning negativity towards Daewoo and are looking for some excuse as to how the Cruze could possibly be 'good' so that they don't have to question their own assumptions about Daewoo or endure any painful cognitive dissonance. wink

I just did some major engine work on a Daewoo after the owner let the timing belt go for 10 years. I found nothing objectionable about the design/mechanicals. I also recently replaced a PCV valve on a Chevy Cruze. Step 1: remove valve cover. Step 2: install new valve cover. Congratulations, you just replaced the PCV valve! Same car had a failed cat under 80k. Is that the kind of thing you'd complain bitterly about if it were a Daewoo and give a pass if it were a Chevy? My gf also worked in the main shop of a local Chevy dealership and has a few things to say about the Cruze and its 'ilk'. Would it comfort you to know that techs are replacing piston/ring/rod assemblies under warranty with no actual diagnosis as to why it failed, much less any permanent solution?  I mean i guess you could avoid the whole Daewoo connection entirely by moving up the line. Like the 2012 Malibu i just rewired the fuel pump circuit on because the stock relay/fuse box literally melts (repeatedly as the new part doesnt fix the issue) even though i verified the current to be 5-8 amps on a circuit fused for 15a? The Cruze is no perfect car and GM is no perfect company just as no Daewoo was purely bad. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
9/13/17 5:56 a.m.
Zomby Woof said:

Underpinned by the front-wheel drive GM Delta II platform, GM has confirmed the Cruze development program occurred under a global design and engineering team.[26] GM Daewoo in South Korea played a leading role in the design and engineering of the Cruze, along with GM's German-based Opel division

Nice try though.

So wait...the fact that Opel also had a hand in the design of the Cruze, in addition to Daewoo, supposed to actually help?  wink  No wonder I hate the Cruze so much, every time I rent one...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/13/17 10:17 a.m.

LOL.

It looks new, but it's still the same old forum .

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1wlcBxpewBxpMBRLMIh1p61I38FX4bX0OZoswrdugLFQBPa9tsSFYrfRTgKwc6B