_
_ Dork
3/9/20 10:48 a.m.

Aka, the last corner at Monza. 

this thing is a increasing radius. Entry is on the right hand side of the second picture. Starting line is on the left hand side of the second picture,If you're not familiar with Monza. The way I've been approaching is an early apex so I can get on the gas earlier. The car doesn't carry enough speed to push off my line during the increased radius area toward the straight.
Saw someone go wide for a late apex, never saw him again, but he was behind me so I never looked to see what happened afterwards. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/20 11:08 a.m.

When I was doing a race on that track, the corner was really easy.  Then again, it was at running speed, and the last half of the corner was the last part of a 1/2 marathon...

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/9/20 11:51 a.m.

For an increasing radius take an early apex and carry enough speed that you're terrified you are going to understeer off but the corner opens up enough that you don't actually run out of track.  Speed = high but pucker = high.

In a car without enough tire this strategy might put too much heat into the fronts.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/9/20 12:13 p.m.

Unless there is a banking or pavement grip factor, the shortest line around the corner will likely be the fastest.  Get to the inside curb at as high a speed as possible, then max throttle that allows you to keep your tire there until you can nail the throttle and not go off the outside edge of the straight.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/20 12:16 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Unless there is a banking or pavement grip factor, the shortest line around the corner will likely be the fastest.  Get to the inside curb at as high a speed as possible, then max throttle that allows you to keep your tire there until you can nail the throttle and not go off the outside edge of the straight.

And be careful if there's a speed bump on the outside for the exit- the change in that caught out a few F1 teams last year.

_
_ Dork
3/9/20 12:22 p.m.

Sounds like I've been doing about that. That guy late apexing it kinda threw me off. Made me start questioning if I wasn't "prioritizing the big corners" correctly. (Thank you Speed Secrets book!)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/9/20 4:08 p.m.

That is a stock car corner.  The alternative to my first description is another stock car idea, which is to diamond the corner.  Drive in, apex as if its a ninety, drift out to the outside, and then turn in hard to apex again, as if its another 90.  That sometimes works on a car that doesn't want to stay right down by the curbing, but its an old idea, and not used a great deal anymore.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSnW828xRPZpA8VLT4R4BxYeS5WePKczf6gj5YbiVtHzbVs8JkDASBCnXC3es4pG