1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 9:05 a.m.

Seriously. I am never ever ever ever ever going to even think about even sitting in one. But bench racing is neat. Why do people love the F40 but hate on the F50? The F50 looks way better.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/15 9:06 a.m.

I feel the F40 looks way better.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 9:10 a.m.

< my opinion > The F50 is ugly. Like, really ugly. The nose is hideous, the area behind the seats is fussy, the wing is awful. It looks like a kit car built on a Fiero. The F40 has a purposeful, race car for the street look. Nothing extra, nothing there without a reason. Amazing.

The F40 uses a small, twin-turbo V8. Its a pretty amazing engine. The F50 basically uses an F1 motor. Also amazing. Pretty much a wash, unless you like NA or turbo.

The F40 was ground-breaking in every way imaginable, and the last car overseen by Enzo himself. The F50 was a mild follow up. More passion in the F40 than the F50. < /my opinion >

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 9:12 a.m.

Oh and I have driven both and the F40 is much better. And I had a date with Natalie Portman last night. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/6/15 9:29 a.m.

F40 was the ultimate icon of its time. It was a development of the 288 GTO Evoluzione which was homologated in Group B although never raced (Don't forget Group B was for race as well as rally cars). Then came the 288 GTO Evoluzione which bridges the styling gap from the 288 to the F40. Also it is the last hyper car from the Enzo era before he died. The car was raced at LeMans and other places. It, along with the Porsche 959 were undisputed kings of the hill. The world hadn't seen anything like them before. Plus it just looked so so right for the time. Not a timeless beauty, but it portrayed it's intent perfectly.

The F50 was never a looker, very bland derivative styling that was supposed to look a bit like an F1 car. Also while the engine was very very loosely derived from an F1 car, it wasn’t' anything special at the time. By the time the F50 came out there was the McLaren F1, Jag XJ220, Jag XJR15, Bugatti EB110 etc. It was neither here nor there, it wasn't a dedicated track machine like the XJR15. It wasn't the ultimate techno tour de force like the F1 or EB110. It wasn't the pinnacle of styling, it was never raced etc. etc. It was just blah.

It may be a better vehicle than the F40, but it's not a better hyper car.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 9:54 a.m.

F40>*

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/6/15 9:56 a.m.

The F50 is 10 Fs more than the F40.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/6/15 10:10 a.m.

My $.02 is that I like the styling on the F50 better. Otherwise, no opinion.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/6/15 10:20 a.m.

I believe much of the love for the F40 is it is one of - if not THE - last Ferrari that was essentially "raw" with nothing in the way of computer controls other than basic engine management (if I recall, it even lacks ABS) and the car was basically built with little concern for driver comforts. It has more in common with a Lotus than any Ferrari produced since. The F50 was the first Ferrari super-car built to be as much of a status symbol as a sports car.

Google Richard Hammonds comparison drive with the 959. It's entertaining.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 10:29 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Google Richard Hammonds comparison drive with the 959. It's entertaining.

I have seen that. It is indeed entertaining. It must have also been very expensive.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

It was actually the LAST real Ferrari.....since Enzo didn't give two E36 M3s about the sack of meat inside his racing machine once he got paid.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
5/6/15 10:50 a.m.

Chris Harris made a video comparing the F40 and F50 back to back on track at Anglesey. It's one of my favorites. https://youtu.be/3MDTcXGsjuo

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/15 10:57 a.m.

The F40 was the first "production" car to pass 200mph. Besides it looks like a race car so it has to be cooler.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/6/15 11:01 a.m.

Its like a miata vs gtr without the power difference. The f50 is faster but the f40 is better in every way because its raw and you have the possibilities to get burnt or cut just sitting on the interior which to me separates street cars from race cars

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/6/15 11:02 a.m.

Top gear did a comparison between the two and the f40 because it was that raw "go kart" feel. Manual everything. A REAL race machine. The f50 was just posh poser rich boy syndrome. The kinda car you drive when you need to distract the ladies from obvious shortcomings.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/6/15 11:07 a.m.

The F50 was built with F1 parts. The failure was in the execution. Race cars don't have blinkers, starters, etc... that a road car requires. Once it bulked up, the F50 had very little F1 left in it.

The F40 was just raw. Enthusiasts like raw even when they don't.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
5/6/15 11:09 a.m.

If you have Forza 4, go to the autovista mode and listen to Jeremy Clarksons opinion of the F50. Its quite entertaining.

My vote is for the F40, I don't like the way the F50 looks.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:17 a.m.

Wasn't the F40 the last analog Ferrari?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:33 a.m.

Wait, the F50 has no power steering, no ABS, and no nannies at all, and the F40 is raw?

I would rather have a naturally aspirated powerful engine than a big boost engine for a track. Seems like NA would be more driveable.

I watched the Chris Harris video, he says nothing that you guys are saying in terms of the F40 is more raw.

Also, the handling setup of those cars is a bit odd. I am sure that you can dial out some of the F50 understeer and some of the F40 oversteer to make both much faster.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:33 a.m.

Also the F50 is way prettier. You guys are all wrong.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 11:42 a.m.

I like the way the F40 looks more. Growing up in the 80s that's what a Racecar is supposed to look like.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/15 11:48 a.m.

If one of each was sitting in front of me and I could drive only one of them it would be the F40.

P.S. if money was no object and I could have any car in the world it would be a 288 GTO.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:55 a.m.

If money was no object and I could have car in the world it would probably be a Cobra Daytona Coupe.

But it is. I only have a million or so to play with, and both the F50 and F40 can be had for less than that, with a bit left over for services.

I made all that up. I have about $25 in free spending money.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
5/6/15 12:01 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: If you have Forza 4, go to the autovista mode and listen to Jeremy Clarksons opinion of the F50. Its quite entertaining.

...the abiding memory for anyone who drove an F50 wasn't the ferocious acceleration or the 200 mile-an-hour top speed. It was the sense that you had a furiously spinning washing machine full of bricks hammering directly into your most sensitive pain receptors...

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:05 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Also the F50 is way prettier. You guys are all wrong.

Sorry, this thread hasn't turned out like you expected.

But you are, in fact, completely wrong on this one. F40 > F50

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oLhwn192QtxLjDaABgsqlhGGFmCRjq0VugG4pyF0nRCDex60MEsaCstaarXphZXY