1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/15 10:32 a.m.

I'd prefer a 458 Italia or an Enzo over a F40/50 any day.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/15 1:20 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I'll just leave this here. This should be next to the word "raw" in the dictionary. I have this saved off just to play occassionally for the magnificent sound - which you must play loud! F40 LM

Ayup. One of the first things I did when I realized the wealth of things available on YouTube was look for F40 videos. That was the first one I found...

Shameless plug for the poor man's awesome/evil car sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQkhE6BOwK4

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/7/15 1:20 p.m.
yupididit wrote: I'd prefer a 458 Italia or an Enzo over a F40/50 any day.

James Glickenhaus did too, thats why he made his own P4/5 lol.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/15 1:25 p.m.
svxsti wrote: IMO the F40 was a downgrade from the 288 GTO in styling, it also had that Group B Turbo that was meant for AWD cars which made the F40 one of the most dangerous cars to drive and useless in the wet.

Huh?

Group B was not for AWD cars. It was for low production 2-seat cars. There were a lot of rear wheel drive Group B cars, like the Lancia 037 (most GpB wins, too), the Toyota Celica, the Opel Manta 400, and of course the RX-7, to name the four I can think iof off the top of my head. The latter two weren't even turbocharged, and the Manta was a real force to be reckoned with in UK national rallies.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 2:29 p.m.

I could pick the F40 on looks alone, but it's also better in performance, and it's the coolest Ferrari ever, by a rather big margin, and not just because it's one of the most iconic supercars in history.

Most modern Ferraris, even those with serious performance intentions, are used as fashion accessories for rich playboys who might not even know how to work a three-pedal manual, and even the cool old ones can be bought by the same crowd for similar reasons. But the F40 is kryptonite to those douchebags. It's a serious car that's very good at going fast and pretty crappy at everything else, has awesome but old-school styling that could actually re-solidify the panties of Mediterranean boat babes, and will punish insufficient driving skill with a nasty wreck instead of calming electro-nanny intervention. It's the Ferrari that personifies the best of what Ferrari ever stood for and throws dual middle fingers at the idea of a supercar as a luxury car with performance capabilities that will be spoken of but never used - in other words, a modern Ferrari.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/7/15 2:43 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
svxsti wrote: IMO the F40 was a downgrade from the 288 GTO in styling, it also had that Group B Turbo that was meant for AWD cars which made the F40 one of the most dangerous cars to drive and useless in the wet.
Huh? Group B was not for AWD cars. It was for low production 2-seat cars. There were a lot of rear wheel drive Group B cars, like the Lancia 037 (most GpB wins, too), the Toyota Celica, the Opel Manta 400, and of course the RX-7, to name the four I can think iof off the top of my head. The latter two weren't even turbocharged, and the Manta was a real force to be reckoned with in UK national rallies.

I was referring to the Porsche 959 and the car the XJ220 took it's motor from. Even the XJ220 was dangerous with that turbo lag and explosive boost that required you to be pointed in a straight line with RWD, not exactly linear, that's why the ideal Mclaren F1 chose a big NA V12.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/7/15 3:05 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

And that prose is fantastic. But is any of it based on fact?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 3:07 p.m.

Only a little. It's faster, I think it looks better and is cooler, so I prefer the F40

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/7/15 3:12 p.m.

Fact is the LaFerrari is an AWD Hybrid that drives itself and won't post on the Nurburgring, point taken Gameboy RMH.

Even the Enzo was beat by a 911 GT3 on the Nurburgring.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/7/15 3:33 p.m.

I own neither, like both, and wish I had one or more of each. If I could only have one it would be the f40, I sure wouldn't kick the f50 out of bed.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
5/7/15 4:47 p.m.

Of the two, I prefer the F40. To me, no mass produced Ferrari built since then holds a candle.

But, I like off beat Ferrari's...the ultra low production ones. So, I'll take this one:

www.modena-motorsport.de/index.php?id=166&L=1

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/7/15 7:01 p.m.

Looks better than Enzo, I always liked the 348, especially by Koenig, looks better than F40 IMO. If you want rare, try the Mythos, better than the F40 and F50.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
5/7/15 8:07 p.m.

I am a fan of the Koenig cars, especially the Testarossa's. The Mythos...eh...not so much.

I like the Brunei spec'd Venice line for more modern Ferrari's.

Back on topic, I'm thinking that the F40 is the ultimate evolution of Magnum's 308. Most of us can identify with it by growing up with it every week. The car brings back memories of my youth...good ones.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
5/8/15 8:26 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: Of the two, I prefer the F40. To me, no mass produced Ferrari built since then holds a candle. But, I like off beat Ferrari's...the ultra low production ones. So, I'll take this one: www.modena-motorsport.de/index.php?id=166&L=1

oh lawd thats nice...

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/8/15 10:18 a.m.

I still like the 512BB best of the street cars... I'll shut up now.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/8/15 10:42 a.m.

Trying to find that modified F40 that's owned by some Japanese guy.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/8/15 3:03 p.m.

The only way want an F50 over an F40 is if the F50 was a GT1...because of that glorious sound they make.

F50 GT1 on track...

Otherwise F40 every time. Still would rather the 288 GTO over either one though.

Behold the greatest 288 video ever made:

Group B 288 GTO...

P.S. The wing on the F50 can be very useful for other things besides generating downforce...

Another use for the F50 rear wing....

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/8/15 4:34 p.m.
svxsti wrote: Looks better than Enzo, I always liked the 348, especially by Koenig, looks better than F40 IMO.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/8/15 8:38 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/15 1:59 a.m.

F50 all the way for me, for two reasons. The first is that the 288 GTO is a beautiful, beautiful car, and as a follow-up, the styling of the F40 is so incongruous and disjointed...a very odd blend of boxy, creased edges and rounded shapes. It looks like the greenhouse and the bottom half come from two different cars. A 935 is cool because it is a really modified Group 5 911, but the F40 doesn't carry through enough of the GTO. The curved windscreen meeting the slab-sided slantnose gives the front end a strange proportion. I can never get over the feeling that the front of an F40 is half-asleep, headlights too widely spaced and sliding off the front of the sloped hood, which is too flat and rounded upward across the back edge at the same time.

The second reason is that although I don't have any doubt that the F40 is a very special car, in person it has a fast-and-cool-but-not-sure-I'm-masochist-enough-to-drive-it racecar type of presence. The F50 in person has racecar-for-the-road-and-I-dare-not-dream supercar type of presence, with the carbon-fiber and that V-12. Once you hear the F50 in person, all memory of the turbo V-8 Ferraris falls from memory, and this is coming from a longtime Ferrari fan. It isn't like the F40 sounds bad, but the flatplane V-8s can't get away from that tuned four cylinder on steroids sound and a V-12 just sings, and is undeniably a very exotic and highly-tuned powerplant.

F40/F50 sound comparison

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/9/15 6:27 a.m.
stroker wrote: I still like the 512BB best of the street cars... I'll shut up now.

Agreed. Given a choice between the 3, it would be 512BB every time, performance be damned. As a child of the 70's & 80's, the 512BB was the first exotic I lusted after. Even more than the Countach.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/9/15 8:36 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: If money was no object and I could have car in the world it would probably be a Cobra Daytona Coupe. But it is. I only have a million or so to play with, and both the F50 and F40 can be had for less than that, with a bit left over for services. I made all that up. I have about $25 in free spending money.

Sounds like you have $25 to buy truck parts then? Remember the truck? Big thing taking up a lot of space in the garage?

sanman
sanman HalfDork
5/9/15 7:30 p.m.

F40...or Testarossa because they shared space on my bedroom wall as a kid and the f50 did not. There is little else that truly matters in this conversation.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/9/15 7:46 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
tuna55 wrote: If money was no object and I could have car in the world it would probably be a Cobra Daytona Coupe. But it is. I only have a million or so to play with, and both the F50 and F40 can be had for less than that, with a bit left over for services. I made all that up. I have about $25 in free spending money.
Sounds like you have $25 to buy truck parts then? Remember the truck? Big thing taking up a lot of space in the garage?

Still waiting on Derrick for those Pistons. When I slap the Honda back together I'll be able to get to the truck again. Literally. I can barely touch it now.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/9/15 8:01 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: Otherwise F40 every time. Still would rather the 288 GTO over either one though. Behold the greatest 288 video ever made: Group B 288 GTO...

You mean the Fram oil filter commercial?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGyud2FQPoQLS7VmCU39n6MThy2ChddS91QDoDIIFoV27ZDKwmht0XLg7TKvogV7